Shame on the LPGA Tour

Closed Thread
Old 10-17-2020, 08:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Is this what is called mansplaining?
Mansplaining a big, beautiful wall, let me tell you.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:29 AM
Default They do this on only a few holes to make them driveable

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Many years ago, I attended an LPGA event on a relatively long golf course that I played regularly. I was surprised to see that the tee boxes they were using were not the pro tees, not the men's tees, and not even the women's tees. They had moved the tee boxes about 20 yards in front of the normal women's tee boxes. I think they select and design the LPGA courses to keep the scoring in line with the men's scoring to promote the game. They don't want to see women shooting in the 80's and 90's.
The TV program will show you the length they are playing. A recent tournament which was the shortest on the LPGA was 6,600 yds. This is a normal men's tee length (not the pros). So all the other courses are longer. So they are not moving the tees forward on all the holes. I too went to a course in Naples and was on the "drivable" par 4, but this was the only one set up so far forward.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:36 AM
Default I agree they should move the sky boxes back but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The eighteenth hole of the Mission Inn course where they play the ANA Inspiration, one of their majors is a short par five with an island green. Most years they construct a sky box grandstand behind the green that prevents balls from going into the water over the green. This is simply a money grab giving the additional income preference to good, challenging and fair golf. Players can just pound their second shots into the green knowing the grandstand will stop it and they will get relief from a temporary immoveable obstruction.

It would be that difficult to construct the grandstand on the other side of the pond and allow the hole to be played as it was designed.

This year they went even beyond even that stupidity. Since there were no fans there was no need for a grandstand. But they built a wall where the grandstand would normally go to prevent balls from going over and into the water.

This year's event came down to the final hole. Mirim Lee was two shots behind. She hit her second shot into the wall, got a drop and chipped in to tie. Brook Henderson was one shot back. She hit her second shot so far over the green that it went under the wall and again got relief and got up and down for birdie to tie.

Admittedly, Nellie Korda who was leading did not play the hole well. She hit her drive into the left rough and had to lay up. She then hit a terrible wedge to 30 feet from where she two putted for par. But if it hadn't been for the wall, that would have been all she needed.

This would be like putting a wall or grandstand behind the 15th green at Augusta National.

I hope that in the future they see the error of their ways as build the sky boxes across the pond and allow the hole to be played as the designers intended. They would still receive the revenue from the sky boxes but insure a more fair outcome of the tournament.
I think they were correct in setting up the blue barrier this year, to make it like all the other years with a skybox. But going forward they could announce the change to the players. They could construct permanent piers in the pond, for the grandstand so that it is just off the back of the island. Great views and still the danger of going over. They already made the area where the players jump into a real pool instead of a murky pond. This tournament will be played at this venue for a very long time, worth the expense.

But it is their tournament to run, and they want 18 to have the excitement of a possible eagle, and lots of birdies. It makes for good TV. The hole has been pivotal in the result many times.

Pro players get lots of advantages on a course that we don't get. Usually there is a crowd to block errant balls from going into bad places. The crowd tramples down the high rough, so if you go way off the fairway your lie is okay. The crowd and volunteers can help them find balls. So I put this grandstand into this category.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmurray View Post
The TV program will show you the length they are playing. A recent tournament which was the shortest on the LPGA was 6,600 yds. This is a normal men's tee length (not the pros). So all the other courses are longer. So they are not moving the tees forward on all the holes. I too went to a course in Naples and was on the "drivable" par 4, but this was the only one set up so far forward.
According to the LPGA, the courses range in length from 6200 to 6600 yards. So, that would make 6600 yards the longest course, not the shortest.

FAQ | LPGA | Ladies Professional Golf Association
Closed Thread

Tags
grandstand, green, wall, hole, hit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.