Should Mickelson have been DQ'd?

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Mickelson's actions of hitting a moving ball?
I'm a Phil fan and think the penalty was appropriate. 51 39.23%
I'm a Phil fan, but think he should have been DQ'd. 43 33.08%
I'm not a Phil fan, but think the penalty was appropriate. 17 13.08%
I'm not a Phil fan and think he should have been DQ'd. 19 14.62%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2018, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Mickelson's post round excuse that he knew about the two stroke penalty and thought taking it would save him strokes on the hole was a lie. He lied to the public about his reasoning trying to make it a strategic ploy within the rules. His new nickname with be "Lying Phil". Whenever his gets a bad lie it will remind everyone of this bad lie.

versus his later statement
There's a HUGE difference between knowing about the 2 shot penalty, which just about every golfer beyond hacker knows, and knowing his total score on the hole after what he did. Yet you know he was lying? Judge much?????
Old 06-17-2018, 06:57 PM

He probably wanted disqualified to be put out of his misery!! A news article quoted his wife as saying that Phil offered to withdraw.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Mickelson's post round excuse that he knew about the two stroke penalty and thought taking it would save him strokes on the hole was a lie. He lied to the public about his reasoning trying to make it a strategic ploy within the rules. His new nickname with be "Lying Phil". Whenever his gets a bad lie it will remind everyone of this bad lie.

versus his later statement
I don't look at it like that. He will still be "lefty" to me.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:30 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Over blown.

Agree!!!

Oh wait, that was my post.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Why would think he should be disqualified. The penalty for hitting a moving ball is two strokes. He accepted the penalty and completed the hole, completed the round and completed the tournament. Everything was within the rules of golf.

Phil's action was actually a pretty smart strategy as he knew exactly what he was doing and was simply taking advantage of the rules. had he let the ball go, it would have rolled down behind the bunker where he would have had no chance of getting it up and down and it was likely that it would end up rolling off the green again and again.

What's the difference between that and taking a drop from an obstruction in the rough onto the fringe as the rules allow?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Why would think he should be disqualified. The penalty for hitting a moving ball is two strokes. He accepted the penalty and completed the hole, completed the round and completed the tournament. Everything was within the rules of golf.

Phil's action was actually a pretty smart strategy as he knew exactly what he was doing and was simply taking advantage of the rules. had he let the ball go, it would have rolled down behind the bunker where he would have had no chance of getting it up and down and it was likely that it would end up rolling off the green again and again.

What's the difference between that and taking a drop from an obstruction in the rough onto the fringe as the rules allow?
You obviously didn't read the links I put in the first post.

Hint...Rule 1-2.

Quote:

Rule 1-2 states that a player must not take action with the intent of influencing the movement of a ball in play.

A serious breach of that rule means the rules committee can impose a penalty of DQ.
In other words, the USGA made a 'judgment call' in not invoking 1-2...which they very well could/should have.

It isn't nearly as cut & dried...as you're trying to make it.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 06-17-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
You obviously didn't read the links I put in the first post.

Hint...Rule 1-2.

In other words, the USGA made a 'judgment call' in not invoking 1-2...which they very well could/should have.

It isn't nearly as cut & dried...as you're trying to make it.
What's your point? The USGA, who writes and interprets the rules and their committee that understands the rules better than anyone on the planet decided that it wasn't a serious breach.

I supposed they could have invoked disqualification but I would defer to people who are much more knowledgeable about the rules than I am before I would say, "should have".
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
What's your point? The USGA, who writes and interprets the rules and their committee that understands the rules better than anyone on the planet decided that it wasn't a serious breach.

I supposed they could have invoked disqualification but I would defer to people who are much more knowledgeable about the rules than I am before I would say, "should have".

Here's my point...

Why Phil Mickelson didn'''t get disqualified from the U.S. Open | Golf.com

Quote:
David Fay, the top man at the USGA before retiring in 2010, said that after hearing Mickelson's remarks after the round, Fay would take a different view than the USGA committee that assessed the two-shot penalty.

"I probably would’ve lost, but I would’ve lobbied for disqualification," Fay said.

Are you now going to try and argue that David Fay..."isn't qualified or knowledgeable?"

As I said, it isn't nearly as cut & dried...as you seem to think.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:40 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I'm certainly no PGA rules expert but just another observer in the comfort of their living room with rule book, wings, and Budweiser. Are the rules committee referring to Exception 1, and or note 1 and 2 of rule 1-2 ? Just curiosity on my part.

Last edited by DonH57; 06-18-2018 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:48 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

OK ToTVrs. 2018 US Open is over.

Can we please forgive and forget...about Mickelson's error in judgement...that's what I believe it was, and that his emotions got the best of him. period

Amy Mickelson: Phil Mickelson offered to withdraw from U.S. Open
Beth Ann Nichols, Golfweek

Amy Mickelson, dressed in solid black like her husband, stood off the side of the pro shop porch. For as long as they’ve been in this together, Saturday night at the U.S. Open was like nothing they’d experienced before. Phil knew the rule, Amy said, but when he got home and heard all the talk about disqualification, he picked up the phone during the afternoon telecast.

“When he heard that, he called Mike Davis and said, ‘If I’ve done something that crosses the line that much, then I need to withdraw immediately,’ ” Amy said.

Davis, the USGA's CEO, assured Phil that he was well within the rules. He closed with a 1-under 69 on a much more receptive Shinnecock Hills.

“You know it’s not his finest moment,” said Amy, “but hopefully he’ll learn from it. Like anybody, good people make mistakes. We all have a moment in life sometimes and that was kind of a moment I think for him.”
Old 06-18-2018, 04:40 AM

Two points: First, the NY area golf fans are notorious for their terrible behavior. Trust me; the players hate it. But they "say" they like it because if they bitch, the fans will REALLY light 'em up. It's golf, not basketball, football, baseball or hockey. They think that owning a ticket entitles to act like jerks. I'd leave room for the possibility that the U.S. Open and PGA Championship ditch the NY area in the future, giving those fans what they deserve. Act like that at Augusta and you're gone--also losing you "grandfathered" ticket status.

Second: Phil has used his popularity to make points on past issues (like threatening to move to Florida to avoid California's prohibitive taxes--just like other pros). I get Phil's point--if he was also making one. The USGA does not choose to learn from its previous mistakes that resulted in unfair course setups. Mike Davis, the PGA's course set-up guy missed his weather forecast. These players are "entertainer/athletes. I was not "entertained". In my view, it wasn't golf--it was Putt-Putt. I'm a P.G.T.A.Master Golf Teacher, playing better than scratch--when my back is not bothering me. But if the USGA offered to fly me to LaGuardia, chopper me over to this course as it is, let me play for free and fly me home, I'd pass. It wouldn't be fun shooting over 100.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
Phil's post game interview was a joke. Never really apologize for what he did made an excuse that he was using the rules to his advantage. Had plenty of time to think of an excuse while playing the rest of the match. Yes they crucified John Daly for what he did and I think Phil should be crucified as well. Everybody loves Phil, The poor little rich kid from San Diego
And you forgot to say that he is great for the game. A true fan favorite, even in NEW YORK! He is always the guy to take care of the fans and sign autographs especially for the kids. He is a great father and family man. Best of all he is human as shown by his frustration in this tournament.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
He made an error in judgment, took the penalty. Case closed. Nobody is perfect.
Plus one.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:11 AM

He’s human. The pressure got to him momentarily. He recovered quickly. Took the penalty and moved on. Handled all interviews professionally.
Case closed.
Thanks
Old 06-18-2018, 06:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
OK ToTVrs. 2018 US Open is over.

Can we please forgive and forget...about Mickelson's error in judgement...that's what I believe it was, and that his emotions got the best of him. period

Amy Mickelson: Phil Mickelson offered to withdraw from U.S. Open
Beth Ann Nichols, Golfweek

Amy Mickelson, dressed in solid black like her husband, stood off the side of the pro shop porch. For as long as they’ve been in this together, Saturday night at the U.S. Open was like nothing they’d experienced before. Phil knew the rule, Amy said, but when he got home and heard all the talk about disqualification, he picked up the phone during the afternoon telecast.

“When he heard that, he called Mike Davis and said, ‘If I’ve done something that crosses the line that much, then I need to withdraw immediately,’ ” Amy said.

Davis, the USGA's CEO, assured Phil that he was well within the rules. He closed with a 1-under 69 on a much more receptive Shinnecock Hills.

“You know it’s not his finest moment,” said Amy, “but hopefully he’ll learn from it. Like anybody, good people make mistakes. We all have a moment in life sometimes and that was kind of a moment I think for him.”
I really own that bridge I'm selling
Closed Thread

Tags
daly, john, open, make, u.s

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.