Thrilling PGA tournament

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2018, 06:14 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts
Default Thrilling PGA tournament

What a great 100th PGA just finished. So many talented pros in contention yesterday - easily could have been any one of 15 guys on top at the finish. However Koepka was Mr Steady and nerves of steel (body too...). Gotta hand it to Tiger - he sure put it all out there and could have landed #1. Great story.

My daughter and fam lives 3 miles down the road from Bellerive, and went to the final round yesterday - they bought tics 6 mos ago - $100 ea, and an adult ticket includes one child too. She said it was so organized including transportation to the Club. They left 1 hour before the finish to avoid the hectic departure. Saw the last 45min on TV at home. They said the crowds were awesome and the roars for Tiger were ear-shattering.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

It was a great tournament to watch.

The shine came off on the last day when the media all but completely ignored the leader by focusing on Tiger Woods every move.
The continual replays of Wood's shots were at the expense of the great golf being played by the leading pair. Too much for me. Just tuned in from time to time to see how it was going.

When Tiger dropped back by 3 with 2 holes to go, I thought we can at least watch the leader finish 17 and go on to win at 18. But that was not to be!!!! The coverage of Woods during those last 2 holes, 3 behind and an inevitable loss, was absolutely disrespectful to the inevitable winner.

It was so bad even the announcers made comment along the lines of what a shame the media abandoned the leader!!!
Old 08-13-2018, 06:51 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
It was a great tournament to watch.

The shine came off on the last day when the media all but completely ignored the leader by focusing on Tiger Woods every move.
The continual replays of Wood's shots were at the expense of the great golf being played by the leading pair. Too much for me. Just tuned in from time to time to see how it was going.

When Tiger dropped back by 3 with 2 holes to go, I thought we can at least watch the leader finish 17 and go on to win at 18. But that was not to be!!!! The coverage of Woods during those last 2 holes, 3 behind and an inevitable loss, was absolutely disrespectful to the inevitable winner.

It was so bad even the announcers made comment along the lines of what a shame the media abandoned the leader!!!
Agree.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Nobody but Brooks's family tuned in to see him play golf. CBS was thrilled with the results. Ratings with Tiger in contention were up over 50% for the less important round three on Saturday. The final round data is not yet online but you can be sure it will be even more impressive. As a headline read today.

Quote:
Tiger Woods Is Back!
Also, some other guy won the PGA championship.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Nobody but Brooks's family tuned in to see him play golf...
And me.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up Agree Too

I agree with Billietkid and that Koepka had it stolen from him when it came to recognition. He provided outstanding Golf and althogh he won the media gave all recognition to Woods who came in 2nd. He did not win Koepka did and was a credit to gollf and the fans.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
I agree with Billietkid and that Koepka had it stolen from him when it came to recognition. He provided outstanding Golf and althogh he won the media gave all recognition to Woods who came in 2nd. He did not win Koepka did and was a credit to gollf and the fans.
Tiger got second place handed to him with scotts hook tee shot and worse missed shots than tiger. There was not doubt who was going to win. I like how koepka went ahead and putted his two put in and left the crowd with nothing but to cheer the losers.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Hard to believe this is Brooks back in college at FSU. On Directv they had the PGA coverage on 4 channels, Brooks and Adam were on their own channel, I think it was 704. I switched to that channel whenever I wanted to see what they were doing between shots or wanted to see them live instead on on tape a minute or two later. I've been a Noles fan since the 60's, so I'm a big fan of Brooks. Hopefully he's around for a long time.

The Villages Florida
Old 08-13-2018, 08:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

It was a thrilling tournament because had Tiger won it would have had major historical significance. Brooks winning also had historical significance as he became one of only five players in history to win both the US Open and PGA Championship in the same year. The other four are Gene Sarazen, Ben Hogan, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods. Imagine being the same category as those four guys.

In addition, he is only the seventh player in history to win back to back US Opens.

You can't blame the media for covering Tiger. His winning would be the sports story of the decade and maybe the century. He had, by a wide margin, the most fans following him. He generates the most interest. The media is only giving the people what they want.

I do think that we'll start to see a lot more coverage of Brooks Koepka in the future. However, until he's accomplished what Tiger has accomplished, when the two of them are in contention, Tiger will be the bigger story.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
It was a thrilling tournament because had Tiger won it would have had major historical significance. Brooks winning also had historical significance as he became one of only five players in history to win both the US Open and PGA Championship in the same year. The other four are Gene Sarazen, Ben Hogan, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods. Imagine being the same category as those four guys.

In addition, he is only the seventh player in history to win back to back US Opens.

You can't blame the media for covering Tiger. His winning would be the sports story of the decade and maybe the century. He had, by a wide margin, the most fans following him. He generates the most interest. The media is only giving the people what they want.

I do think that we'll start to see a lot more coverage of Brooks Koepka in the future. However, until he's accomplished what Tiger has accomplished, when the two of them are in contention, Tiger will be the bigger story.
Yes his winning would have made a great story.
There was/is no excuse for them covering the second place player and ignoring the winner.....the winner beat Tiger and everybody else by 3 strokes....and the coverage goes to second place!!!
Very many of us think not!!!!
Old 08-13-2018, 10:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
...You can't blame the media for covering Tiger...
To the extent they did...over and above the coverage they gave the winner? Yes...you can.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
To the extent they did...over and above the coverage they gave the winner? Yes...you can.
I believe that more people were interested in the fact that Tiger had a chance to win the tournament than were interested in the actual winner. CBS simply put the cameras and the attention where the biggest crowds were.

I thought that the coverage was pretty well balanced between Tiger and Brooks. They went back and forth quite a bit. If anything, the media ignored Adam Scott who had a chance to win up until the last hole.

No one knows what Brooks Koepka was going to do on those last two holes. He could have driven it into trouble and made bogies. The coverage focused equally on both of them until Tiger finished. Would they have given any other player the same amount of coverage as the eventual winner? Probably not, but Tiger is not any other player. More people are interested in what Tiger Woods is doing than any other golfer in the field. Fans are anticipating his winning an event to cap off this comeback. Maybe it will never happen, but he will be given more coverage than most players as long as he keeps playing.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:41 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

Brooks played great. But glad to see Tiger make a charge. Sorry but I am a Tiger fan and loved the coverage to see if he could win it.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,688 Times in 5,234 Posts

When watching golf, the only thing that really bothers me is when they fail to show a shot by one of the leaders. I don't remember if that happened on Sunday. Also, I like Johnny Miller better than Nick Faldo as an announcer.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:37 AM
Sage

There was no reason to continue to follow the person who finished....NOT IN FIRST PLACE.

While the coverage was most certainly unbalanced and Woods intense the entire last day....the disrespect the media portrayed by literally ignoring the fact the WINNER was still finishing up was annoying to a fault. Shame on them.
Closed Thread

Tags
tiger, finish, pga, yesterday, great

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.