Tiger Tournament

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2018, 07:30 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I quit watching yesterday as well. They covered the leader then Tiger. Leader, Tiger, leader, Tiger, back and forth. They ignored the 10 players in between. Had to see a rerun of Fowler's bogie. He may of spiked the ratings, but he will also tank them if they don't provide more balanced coverage. He is news and deserves a bit more coverage then normal, but they have gone way over the top. I will watch something else.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:03 AM
Veteran member

According to the announcers every shot that tiger makes was such a hard shot it was either a terrible lie or an impossible up and down it only tiger could have made.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
And you know this, how? If everyone gets as tired of seeing every shot Tiger makes or has made over the last decade or so, where are those ratings going to be then? I'm sure we are not the only ones changing the channel.
Maybe if you would take the time to look at the television ratings recently when Tiger is in contention, you too would know. This is neither a slam or an endorsement of Tiger, it's simply a fact.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Maybe if you would take the time to look at the television ratings recently when Tiger is in contention, you too would know. This is neither a slam or an endorsement of Tiger, it's simply a fact.
I do not endorse that because of broadcast ratings that should affect the FACT that he gets undeserved coverage.

What most of us are fed up with is the constant barrage of Tiger-isms from the announcers and the video clips.....the straw that broke a lot of backs yesterday was when the Arnold Palmer open logos were shown there was an overwhelming circled picture of Woods in the center.....totally and completely out of order....ratings or what ever be the excuse.

Unfair and uncalled for coverage of a second page standing golfer....like it or not.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Stenson, McIlroy, Rose, Hoffman, Fowler, Reed, Woods. Now, there's a leaderboard. An exciting time so close to home.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2018, 10:24 AM

Tiger is making a comeback, he is not there yet! But alas, Tiger has brought so much interest to the game, for both our youth and beyond, that the current players are benefitting from higher purses, to higher attendance at tournaments. He also has brought more money into your communities from the revenue the cities and businesses are receiving from people just coming to watch him play golf. Actually I would put Phil Mickelson in that group also. Give them guys there due.....Remember they are good for the game....Lets look back at Nickalus, Palmer, and Player back in their prime, they were just as popular with the media.....I repeat they are good for the game. These guys have brought many people into the game as amateurs, who play the game today generating massive amounts of revenue to our cities and states. I am sure there would not be 40 plus golf courses here in the villages today if it weren't for these guys influence, maybe nearly not as many homes and places of entertainment that make the villages a great place to visit and live. I just wanted to say that is how I started , as a child I grew up about 3 miles from where Jack Nickalus grew up and became such a dominant figure in the golf world, and we know today how much children's charities have benefitted from that foundation..... Enough said on my part.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
...if you would take the time to look at the television ratings recently when Tiger in contention...
For lots of viewers, character still matters. Those fans watch in spite of the bloated Tiger coverage, not because of it.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 03-18-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
For lots of viewers, character still matters. Those fans watch in spite of the bloated Tiger coverage, not because of it.
"Character still matters?"

Old 03-18-2018, 03:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Taylor Gooch being in contention or even winning his first PGA tour event is just another week on the tour. Henrik Stenson leading an event or even winning is not a story.

Tiger Woods, arguably the greatest golfer who ever lived, making a comeback from personal problems and four back surgeries after not playing for 18 months and being in contention is the biggest sports story in the world this week.

If you go to the tournament, take a look at where the crowds are. I went on Thursday and if you wanted to get a look at Tiger, you needed to get three holes ahead and wait. Close to half the gallery was following him in the morning. In the afternoon, the same amount of people were following the group with McIlroy and Fowler. The only people following Taylor Gooch and Alex Noren were their friends and family.

The television networks put the players on that people want to watch. The viewership goes way up when Tiger plays. He is THE STORY.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:37 PM
Platinum member

I turned it off
Old 03-18-2018, 03:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
I turned it off
That's certainly your perogative, but more people are going to watch because Tiger has a chance to win than people who are going to turn it off because they show him too much.

By the way, he just birdied the 13th hole to get to one behind. Stenson looks like he's struggling. History could be made.

If Tiger wins this tournament it's possibly the greatest comeback in the history of sports.

But if you don't want to watch it doesn't bother me.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
That's certainly your perogative, but more people are going to watch because Tiger has a chance to win than people who are going to turn it off because they show him too much.

By the way, he just birdied the 13th hole to get to one behind. Stenson looks like he's struggling. History could be made.

If Tiger wins this tournament it's possibly the greatest comeback in the history of sports.

Not going to happen. Tiger just channeled Phil with a "hold my beer and watch this" OB tee shot. As for greatest comebacks, I'll attribute that to Ben Hogan.

Last edited by Rapscallion St Croix; 03-18-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I understand why, but it bores me too. I’d rather watch Talor and Curtis.
I'd rather watch paint dry
Old 03-18-2018, 05:37 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post

You have drunk too much Tiger cool aide. I prefer an Arnie Palmer.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:42 PM
Sage

What a great torunament. Rory McIlroy wins by shooting 64 and making birdies on five of the last six holes.

Bryson DeChambeau was in it until the last hole. Stenson struggled, Justin Rose came close, but the cream rose to the top. This is what makes for a great PGA Tour event. Several of the best players in the world battling it out to the finish.

Tiger shot himself in the foot with a ball OB on 16 but still gave us a lot of thrills. The way that Rory finished it wouldn't have mattered. Tiger will win again eventually. He's still the biggest draw in professional golf. Like all of the greatest, he'll have his haters. Nothing anyone can do about that.

As for me, I enjoy seeing history being made. Tiger has made plenty and it's likely that he'll make more.

Closed Thread

Tags
tiger, tournament, 17th, place, playing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.