Tiger wins!!!

Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

what did they say about the shot that beat him last year at the same event?

btk
Old 12-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
I agree that Tiger is good, but so are some others. I don't enjoy watching golf when he's there, simply because he's all the announcers can talk about, even when he's playing like crap. Why is it necessary to show every single shot he hits...good, bad, or just mediocre..and then talk it to death? Even when he's not playing or hasn't teed off at broadcast time, then it's reruns of him...nevermind the tournament in progress. I would just like to see them give credit where credit is due when someone else pulls off a really great shot or has a really great tournament outing. The announcers talk as if they just got lucky. Tiger is not the only talented player out there and if there was no such thing as a tournament, Tiger would be just another good weekend golfer.

Golf has been around a lot longer than Tiger and will be around when he's gone. He's a great golfer, yes, but there will be others. Unfortunately, as long as he's playing and all tv can do is focus on him, who's gonna ever know? Unfortunately for him, television really is doing him an injustice.

I have to agree with dolpterry's post.
When Woods is at his best he is more than good, he is transcendent. I don't disagree that the golf media is overly fixated on him and gives his game too much exposure, especially when he is not in contention, but the fact is that they realize that about 1/2 of their audience tuned in only because of Woods. That cannot be said about any other golfer, now or in the past. I watch a lot of golf whether Tiger is in the hunt or not, but it adds an element of excitement when he is in it for me. I don't like what he did in his personal life, but in a small way he seems to have paid a pretty hefty price for his indescretions. The thing I come back to is that I love the opportunity to witness greatness, like watching Ali, Ruth, or Jordan in their prime, all of whom, by the way, had their own personal issues.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Sage

The only real good thing about Tiger is the amount of interest and money he brings to the golf tour in terms of purses and general revenue.

He is/was a great golfer and exciting for some to watch but he has lost some luster with his indescretions.

Only time wil tell if he can duplicate his winning ways.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Probably not popular with a lot of folks, but I am glad to see him getting his game back in shape. A competetive TW makes pro golf much more exciting, even if you are pulling against him.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
what did they say about the shot that beat him last year at the same event?

btk
Tiger is great for golf, but give me a break about him winning.It's a made for tv event, with only 18 golfers, and a course that he has already won on 5 times before, and choked out on last year with the lead.When he starts playing sanctioned PGA events against an entire field of the top golfers,then i'll get excited about him winning again.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Respect

I don't think Tiger deserves or has earned any respect. I was a Marshal at the US Open when it was held a few years ago at Wing Foot. Tiger was arrogrant, had NY Troopers around him preventing anyone getting an autograph and snubbed the young children trying to get his autograph. He just ignored them and turned away. He had people around him in a circle and they stayed that way as he went to his Limo so no children could get near him.
Compare that to Michelson who stayed late at night to sign for the kids. or Tom Watson who did the same, plus some you would not expect to be so
kind. Golf is to be a "gentlemans" sport and he has made it a seflish sport.
And I agree with those who think this was a "sham" tournament. 18 platers with some of greats ignoring it and his course where he knew every lay of the ball. It was not a true test of his ability to compete in the world but rather a contrived attempt at making sure he keeps his sponsors. In the end he acted as though he had won the Masters of US Open when in fact he only won a home course event while avoiding the really big names for competition.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Sage

Personally, I think Tiger is great.

Yesterday, he hit a 9-iron 172 yards on the Par 3 #17. How many of us can hit a 9-iron 172 yards (accurately)?
Old 12-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Gold member

I believe Tiger is good for golf period. All those Tiger haters should walk a day in his shoes before they jump on the beat on the Tiger bandwagon. I'm sure there are many people who have done worse in their personal lives than Tiger did, and is it any of our business anyways. Not to excuse his behavior, but once you reach the status he has achieved, every move you make is recorded and analyzed. I wonder how many of us (including all the holier than thou critics) could survive the eye of the press and public on everything we do every day? The reason he has security people all around him is for protection from people who are haters or just jealous and want to get at him.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Gold member

Tiger is great for golf and I feel he is the best golfer of all time. I was and always will be glued to the set when he is playing. He has earned my respect for all his charity work and dedication to the game. Yes he got weird when he made the middle age mark, but he is not the first to do that and might not be the last. I salute the golfer and leave his personal life to him. Being a Christian, I try not to judge other people as some have done on this thread. Forgiveness is Divine and Tiger publicly apologized and in my King James Version, that is good enough for me.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villager II View Post
Tiger is great for golf and I feel he is the best golfer of all time. I was and always will be glued to the set when he is playing. He has earned my respect for all his charity work and dedication to the game. Yes he got weird when he made the middle age mark, but he is not the first to do that and might not be the last. I salute the golfer and leave his personal life to him. Being a Christian, I try not to judge other people as some have done on this thread. Forgiveness is Divine and Tiger publicly apologized and in my King James Version, that is good enough for me.
Well not for me !!!!!! and as far as the greatest of all time, gimmy a break, if Jack Nicklaus played with todays equipment he would have won 35 majors and Arnold said that .............He's just another college dropout who plays golf.....................

disgusted fumar
Old 12-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Fumar View Post
Well not for me !!!!!! and as far as the greatest of all time, gimmy a break, if Jack Nicklaus played with todays equipment he would have won 35 majors and Arnold said that .............He's just another college dropout who plays golf.....................

disgusted fumar
DF; Got to disagee with you on the point of Nicklaus. He, like Woods, played with the same equipment as his contemporaries, and neither enjoyed an equipnment advantage. In fact some people contend that Woods has been somewhat hamstrung by his contract with Nike, having to use their equipment, which some deem inferior. In fact, when Tiger began he had a rather large distance advantage, which has been mitigated, in part, because of advances in equipment technology. As to your disgust about Tiger otherwise, many share your opinion, and that I understand.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Gold member

Jack had the same advatages as Tiger did. He hit it farther than almost any other and was the best putter in the world for a long time. Both are the greatest of their generations. Whose the best,I don't know.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Sage

By the way, I am a huge Jack Nicklaus fan, and as a human being he appears to be far superior to Woods. However he too was a college drop-out...

Nicklaus attended Ohio State from 1957 to 1961. He majored in pre-pharmacy his first three years, with good grades, and intended to follow his father into that profession after graduation. As his golf achievements mounted, Nicklaus changed his mind on his career path, switching programs to study insurance, as he planned at that stage to remain a career amateur in golf, and to make his living by selling insurance. For a time he worked in the insurance field while also attending college. However, after having married Barbara Bash in July 1960, and with their first child (Jack Jr.) born in September 1961, Nicklaus then decided to become a professional golfer in late 1961, to best support his family. He wound up a few course hours short of graduating from college. Ohio State granted him an honorary doctorate in 1972.[10]
Old 12-05-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
When Woods is at his best he is more than good, he is transcendent. I don't disagree that the golf media is overly fixated on him and gives his game too much exposure, especially when he is not in contention, but the fact is that they realize that about 1/2 of their audience tuned in only because of Woods. That cannot be said about any other golfer, now or in the past. I watch a lot of golf whether Tiger is in the hunt or not, but it adds an element of excitement when he is in it for me. I don't like what he did in his personal life, but in a small way he seems to have paid a pretty hefty price for his indescretions. The thing I come back to is that I love the opportunity to witness greatness, like watching Ali, Ruth, or Jordan in their prime, all of whom, by the way, had their own personal issues.
eweissenbach- for the second time in twenty-four hours I agree wholeheartedly with a post of yours! I guess I'll have to meet you sometime in TV! Theres just something about a tournament thats much more exciting when Tiger is in the hunt.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Location: Currently in New Freedom PA. 2012, A Village of Sanibel resident

Tiger's skill is not all he should be judged on. His moral character is flawed, in more ways then one. I don't care how far he hits his 9 iron. He is just another person who feels he is above it all, and should not be judged as others are judged. Support him if you like. He makes millions from supporters every year. I will not support him, and could care less if he ever wins again.

Just my opinion, Don't mind if you disagree, I will respect your opinion.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.