US Open

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2017, 08:47 AM
Sage

Glad you're back playing, Doc. I think the inconsistency and the difficulties with short game come with our 'phase of life'.

How I miss those days when I'd just step up to any chip or easy pitch and knock in close without even thinking!!
Old 06-20-2017, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Great Open.

Really enjoyed the Tourney and the course.

As it turned out, it was a pretty exciting finish with several people in the mix until the last four or five hole.

But it was still not a typical US Open in that the course was playing too easy.

I like to see players tested, especially coming down the stretch and this course really didn't provide that.

The US Open is usually played on courses with narrow fairways, long, thick rough and firm undulating greens. The USGA intends to test every aspect of the player's games. This course did not do that. It was a bomber's course and it had relatively flat greens. Of course, the rain didn't help by softening it up. As long as it was, some players said that they never hit more than a seven iron into any par four. I don't consider that testing all aspects of the game. I'd like to see players have to hit some long irons or even fairway woods to par fours. The ball and equipment have a lot to do with that but recognizing that the USGA should set up some holes that force a layup off the tee. Or holes where a player can choose to hit a driver but pay a severe penalty if they miss the fairway.

I have always felt that a well-designed golf hole should get narrower as it gets closer to the green. That way a player has the option of laying back in the wide part of the fairway and hitting a longer club or taking a risk of big trouble of the reward of hitting a shorter club into the green. This course didn't have that. The longer hitters had the same width fairway is did the shorter hitters. It was pretty much just bombs away and hit a wedge to a soft flat green.

The most surprising thing about this event was that Brian Harman was able to keep up at all.

The US Open is my favorite tournament to watch and I really look forward to it every year. I believe that it is the most difficult to win and the most difficult test of a golfer's game. And it usually tests all aspects of a player's game. This year it didn't.

All four of the majors has a different feel and the USGA is changing the feel of the US Open. It's becoming more like the PGA Championship or in this case, a lot like the Masters without the difficult greens. It's losing its uniqueness among the majors. I'd like to see them get back to what I always loved about the US Open.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:00 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
As it turned out, it was a pretty exciting finish with several people in the mix until the last four or five hole.

I like to see players tested, especially coming down the stretch and this course really didn't provide that.

The US Open is usually played on courses with narrow fairways, long, thick rough and firm undulating greens. The USGA intends to test every aspect of the player's games. This course did not do that. It was a bomber's course and it had relatively flat greens. Of course, the rain didn't help by softening it up. As long as it was, some players said that they never hit more than a seven iron into any par four. I don't consider that testing all aspects of the game. I'd like to see players have to hit some long irons or even fairway woods to par fours. The ball and equipment have a lot to do with that but recognizing that the USGA should set up some holes that force a layup off the tee. Or holes where a player can choose to hit a driver but pay a severe penalty if they miss the fairway.

I have always felt that a well-designed golf hole should get narrower as it gets closer to the green. That way a player has the option of laying back in the wide part of the fairway and hitting a longer club or taking a risk of big trouble of the reward of hitting a shorter club into the green. This course didn't have that. The longer hitters had the same width fairway is did the shorter hitters. It was pretty much just bombs away and hit a wedge to a soft flat green.

The most surprising thing about this event was that Brian Harman was able to keep up at all.

The US Open is my favorite tournament to watch and I really look forward to it every year. I believe that it is the most difficult to win and the most difficult test of a golfer's game. And it usually tests all aspects of a player's game. This year it didn't.

All four of the majors has a different feel and the USGA is changing the feel of the US Open. It's becoming more like the PGA Championship or in this case, a lot like the Masters without the difficult greens. It's losing its uniqueness among the majors. I'd like to see them get back to what I always loved about the US Open.
I agree.....like to see the Big Boys having to grind it out. But do you think most fans like to see birdies like they do with touchdowns, goals, 30 foot nothing-but-nets and perfect 10's???

Old 06-20-2017, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I agree.....like to see the Big Boys having to grind it out. But do you think most fans like to see birdies like they do with touchdowns, goals, 30 foot nothing-but-nets and perfect 10's???

Maybe some do, but we see that every week. We sometimes see it in the Masters, British Open and PGA Championship.

The US Open is supposed to be different. The stats this week were about the same as most of the regular week to week tour events. I think that our national championship should be a more difficult test.

If the people want to see these guys making birdies and eagles, let them play 6,200-yard courses with slow soft greens and no rough. Maybe it would be nice to watch that once a year, but I don't think a steady diet of it would keep anyone interested.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post

You can look up future US Open venues and I think you will be satisfied with the direction they are going.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.