WGC Match play, Tiger?, Jordan?, Phil?

WGC Match play, Tiger?, Jordan?, Phil?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 03-30-2019, 05:17 PM
Gold member

Wonderful drama. New guy beats "has been" on the last hole and another old guy has a temper tantrum meltdown on the course. I think I'll watch tomorrow.

Old 03-30-2019, 05:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Wonderful drama. New guy beats "has been" on the last hole and another old guy has a temper tantrum meltdown on the course. I think I'll watch tomorrow.

YEP!

Per my earlier post...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore
....but at this point...I'm rooting for the 'old man' Kuchar.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

YEP!

Per my earlier post...
Me too!
Old 03-31-2019, 05:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Me too!
It should be exciting!

This course is certainly a great venue for match play, as it doesn't favor any particular type of player...and makes for some great drama.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:53 AM
Sage

The Tiger / Rory match was exciting and I'm sure drew a huge TV audience. Tiger made a huge mental error on 13 and you could see that he back was tightening up when the rain and cold blew in. He got away with that mistake and I was surprised that he was able to finish strongly.

The Tiger / Bjeergaard match also would have draw a huge audience. You could see how Tiger was getting tight and tired toward the end when he lost a few holes. He again made a big tactical on the 18th hole which cost him the match or at least an opportunity for extra holes.

With the guys that are left, I think that the television audience will be way down. Tiger, Rory, DJ, Thomas, Speith and a few others are the only ones that really draw an audience. With all of them gone, I'm sure that the PGA Tour, The WGC and NBC are all disappointed with the final four.

Too bad. It was interesting for two days. Now, not so much.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:23 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The Tiger / Rory match was exciting and I'm sure drew a huge TV audience. Tiger made a huge mental error on 13 and you could see that he back was tightening up when the rain and cold blew in. He got away with that mistake and I was surprised that he was able to finish strongly.

The Tiger / Bjeergaard match also would have draw a huge audience. You could see how Tiger was getting tight and tired toward the end when he lost a few holes. He again made a big tactical on the 18th hole which cost him the match or at least an opportunity for extra holes.

With the guys that are left, I think that the television audience will be way down. Tiger, Rory, DJ, Thomas, Speith and a few others are the only ones that really draw an audience. With all of them gone, I'm sure that the PGA Tour, The WGC and NBC are all disappointed with the final four.

Gee the TV station I watched showed Tiger making a bad chip - he tried to stiff it to put the pressure on since he was shooting first. Backfired - lousey chip. Then he missed an easy putt under pressure. Let's give credit to Bjerregaard. He did not choke and played great golf (David and Goliath). Hopefully today we get to watch golf. But for myself the volume will be turned off so I don't have to listen to announcers say Tiger a million times even when he is not playing.Sad part is I"ll miss the crowd shouting Kutch with the volume off.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:08 AM
Sage

Tiger's mistake on 18 was hitting driver off the tee. With the hole in that location he would have had a better chance of hitting is close from 80-100 yards where he could put some spin on the ball.

The putt that he missed was anything but easy. That hole was cut on a little mound. Both he and his caddy read it to go right and it went left.

The most difficult thing about that golf course is the greens. if not for the absurdly difficult greens it wouldn't qualify to host a PGA tour or WGC event.

On one hand you call Tiger a has been and then you refer to him as Goliath. I honestly don't understand the Tiger hate. He's arguably the greatest ever to play the game and still the most popular player in the game.

But my point was that Tiger still draws the biggest audiences and crowds. After that, the handful of players that I mentioned along with Rickie Fowler and perhaps a few more are what draws audiences to golf. With none of them in the mix, I would expect that the TV audience and the crowd will be way down.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:29 AM
Sage

Quote:

Obviously that chip shot on 18 must have been tough, even Sergio missed it and costly for both.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Obviously that chip shot on 18 must have been tough, even Sergio missed it and costly for both.
I agree, but his mistake was hitting driver and putting himself in that position. I think that it was probably due to the fact that they hadn't played that hole very much over the first three days.

This is exactly why the PGA Championship went to stroke play after many years as a match play event. They were afraid that the best players in the world would eliminated early and there would be little interested in having two mediocre players playing in the finals.

It looks like it's going to be Kisner and Kucher. I'm happy to see two Americans in the final, but it would have been so much better with two marque players. Instead, we have the number 34 and number 50 players in the world that many people aren't really interested in.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:27 PM
Gold member

Quote:
I agree, but his mistake was hitting driver and putting himself in that position. I think that it was probably due to the fact that they hadn't played that hole very much over the first three days.

This is exactly why the PGA Championship went to stroke play after many years as a match play event. They were afraid that the best players in the world would eliminated early and there would be little interested in having two mediocre players playing in the finals.

It looks like it's going to be Kisner and Kucher. I'm happy to see two Americans in the final, but it would have been so much better with two marque players. Instead, we have the number 34 and number 50 players in the world that many people aren't really interested in.
I'm pretty sure the reason the PGA Championship went to stroke play is because it took seven days (including two days of qualifying) to complete in match play format.

Last edited by Rapscallion St Croix; 03-31-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Tags
jordan, tiger, speith, add, wins