WGC Match play, Tiger?, Jordan?, Phil?

Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2019, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,262 Times in 800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The Tiger / Rory match was exciting and I'm sure drew a huge TV audience. Tiger made a huge mental error on 13 and you could see that he back was tightening up when the rain and cold blew in. He got away with that mistake and I was surprised that he was able to finish strongly.

The Tiger / Bjeergaard match also would have draw a huge audience. You could see how Tiger was getting tight and tired toward the end when he lost a few holes. He again made a big tactical on the 18th hole which cost him the match or at least an opportunity for extra holes.

With the guys that are left, I think that the television audience will be way down. Tiger, Rory, DJ, Thomas, Speith and a few others are the only ones that really draw an audience. With all of them gone, I'm sure that the PGA Tour, The WGC and NBC are all disappointed with the final four.

Too bad. It was interesting for two days. Now, not so much.
Gee the TV station I watched showed Tiger making a bad chip - he tried to stiff it to put the pressure on since he was shooting first. Backfired - lousey chip. Then he missed an easy putt under pressure. Let's give credit to Bjerregaard. He did not choke and played great golf (David and Goliath). Hopefully today we get to watch golf. But for myself the volume will be turned off so I don't have to listen to announcers say Tiger a million times even when he is not playing.Sad part is I"ll miss the crowd shouting Kutch with the volume off.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Tiger's mistake on 18 was hitting driver off the tee. With the hole in that location he would have had a better chance of hitting is close from 80-100 yards where he could put some spin on the ball.

The putt that he missed was anything but easy. That hole was cut on a little mound. Both he and his caddy read it to go right and it went left.

The most difficult thing about that golf course is the greens. if not for the absurdly difficult greens it wouldn't qualify to host a PGA tour or WGC event.

On one hand you call Tiger a has been and then you refer to him as Goliath. I honestly don't understand the Tiger hate. He's arguably the greatest ever to play the game and still the most popular player in the game.

But my point was that Tiger still draws the biggest audiences and crowds. After that, the handful of players that I mentioned along with Rickie Fowler and perhaps a few more are what draws audiences to golf. With none of them in the mix, I would expect that the TV audience and the crowd will be way down.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,159 Times in 434 Posts

Quote:
The Tiger / Rory match was exciting and I'm sure drew a huge TV audience. Tiger made a huge mental error on 13 and you could see that he back was tightening up when the rain and cold blew in. He got away with that mistake and I was surprised that he was able to finish strongly.

The Tiger / Bjeergaard match also would have draw a huge audience. You could see how Tiger was getting tight and tired toward the end when he lost a few holes. He again made a big tactical on the 18th hole which cost him the match or at least an opportunity for extra holes.

With the guys that are left, I think that the television audience will be way down. Tiger, Rory, DJ, Thomas, Speith and a few others are the only ones that really draw an audience. With all of them gone, I'm sure that the PGA Tour, The WGC and NBC are all disappointed with the final four.

Too bad. It was interesting for two days. Now, not so much.

Obviously that chip shot on 18 must have been tough, even Sergio missed it and costly for both.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Obviously that chip shot on 18 must have been tough, even Sergio missed it and costly for both.
I agree, but his mistake was hitting driver and putting himself in that position. I think that it was probably due to the fact that they hadn't played that hole very much over the first three days.

This is exactly why the PGA Championship went to stroke play after many years as a match play event. They were afraid that the best players in the world would eliminated early and there would be little interested in having two mediocre players playing in the finals.

It looks like it's going to be Kisner and Kucher. I'm happy to see two Americans in the final, but it would have been so much better with two marque players. Instead, we have the number 34 and number 50 players in the world that many people aren't really interested in.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:27 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
I agree, but his mistake was hitting driver and putting himself in that position. I think that it was probably due to the fact that they hadn't played that hole very much over the first three days.

This is exactly why the PGA Championship went to stroke play after many years as a match play event. They were afraid that the best players in the world would eliminated early and there would be little interested in having two mediocre players playing in the finals.

It looks like it's going to be Kisner and Kucher. I'm happy to see two Americans in the final, but it would have been so much better with two marque players. Instead, we have the number 34 and number 50 players in the world that many people aren't really interested in.
I'm pretty sure the reason the PGA Championship went to stroke play is because it took seven days (including two days of qualifying) to complete in match play format.

Last edited by Rapscallion St Croix; 03-31-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Tiger's mistake on 18 was hitting driver off the tee. With the hole in that location he would have had a better chance of hitting is close from 80-100 yards where he could put some spin on the ball.

The putt that he missed was anything but easy. That hole was cut on a little mound. Both he and his caddy read it to go right and it went left.

The most difficult thing about that golf course is the greens. if not for the absurdly difficult greens it wouldn't qualify to host a PGA tour or WGC event.

On one hand you call Tiger a has been and then you refer to him as Goliath. I honestly don't understand the Tiger hate. He's arguably the greatest ever to play the game and still the most popular player in the game.

But my point was that Tiger still draws the biggest audiences and crowds. After that, the handful of players that I mentioned along with Rickie Fowler and perhaps a few more are what draws audiences to golf. With none of them in the mix, I would expect that the TV audience and the crowd will be way down.
It's obvious you worship the ground (and fairways) Tiger walks on and I don't. I do think he was and I say "was" a good golfer. The best of all times? How do you measure that. Many more tournaments per year, different equipment, etc. My explanation for dislike, actually a lack of respect is more appropriate - My children were in their early teens when Tiger was great. No way on this earth could I bring myself to say to them "go and emulate him". Then there is Kutch - does that smile ever leave his face?
Old 03-31-2019, 02:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,300 Times in 863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
It's obvious you worship the ground (and fairways) Tiger walks on and I don't. I do think he was and I say "was" a good golfer. The best of all times? How do you measure that. Many more tournaments per year, different equipment, etc. My explanation for dislike, actually a lack of respect is more appropriate - My children were in their early teens when Tiger was great. No way on this earth could I bring myself to say to them "go and emulate him". Then there is Kutch - does that smile ever leave his face?
I suspect, as Boogie stated earlier, the ratings will be way down since Tiger is out which means many that enjoy golf follow Tiger. Not sure if you watch any golf interviews but there isn't a professional golfer that would agree with you, they all respect him and what he did for the game and the purses....including Kutch. While I wouldn't want my kids to emulate his behavior with his wife and DWI, I would encourage them to look at how he fought back from not only those instances, but how he fought back from his surgeries to gain his competitive form. Not giving up when everyone else gave up on you to me, is something to emulate....JMO.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-31-2019, 02:25 PM
Platinum member

If Kisner wins, it will be a victory for snuff dippers and spitters
Old 03-31-2019, 03:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I suspect, as Boogie stated earlier, the ratings will be way down since Tiger is out which means many that enjoy golf follow Tiger. Not sure if you watch any golf interviews but there isn't a professional golfer that would agree with you, they all respect him and what he did for the game and the purses....including Kutch. While I wouldn't want my kids to emulate his behavior with his wife and DWI, I would encourage them to look at how he fought back from not only those instances, but how he fought back from his surgeries to gain his competitive form. Not giving up when everyone else gave up on you to me, is something to emulate....JMO.
I have quite high standards for my heros. How much money one makes and how well they play sports are not the top two attributes at the top of that list. Again I think he is a good golfer - then again so was Jack Nicklaus. He may have done a little for the game too.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,300 Times in 863 Posts

Quote:
I have quite high standards for my heros. How much money one makes and how well they play sports are not the top two attributes at the top of that list. Again I think he is a good golfer - then again so was Jack Nicklaus. He may have done a little for the game too.
Then I assume you have a low opinion of those golfers that have a high regard and respect for Tiger, they can't measure up to your standards. By the way, both Nicklaus and Palmer have and had a high regard for Tiger's ability to right his ship....as we all should when anybody turns their life around....JMO

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-31-2019, 04:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,506 Times in 677 Posts

Tiger was just a "good" golfer?

That cracked me the heck up...thanx!
Old 03-31-2019, 04:59 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,296 Times in 534 Posts

Kutchar and Kisner in the final of Match Play. Neither were on U.S. 2018 Ryder Cup team. Go figure...
Old 03-31-2019, 06:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Kutchar and Kisner in the final of Match Play. Neither were on U.S. 2018 Ryder Cup team. Go figure...

And neither have won a major. In fact the only one of the final four that won a major was Molinari.

We had the #48 player in the world and the #52 player in the world in the final four. Basically four guys that no one really cares much about. Kuch is a popular guy and he was probably the one that most people would have like to see win. But I think that in a big event like a major or a WGC event most people want to see the cream rise to the top.

The five or six players that I mentioned earlier would have made it a much more interesting weekend.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
I don't worship the ground that anyone walks on, but I also appreciate what people have done.

No one is perfect and we've all done good an bad. While I agree Tiger's behavior with regards to his marriage was unacceptable, he has done many things that benefit the poor. He has brought millions of young people and minorities into the game. His charity foundations do a lot of good for people all around the world. What he's done for the game of golf and the PGA Tour is immeasurable.

Does all the good offset the bad? I don't know. I guess that for each of us to decide.

Was a "GOOD" golfer??? You've got to be kidding or haven't been paying attention for the past 25 years.

The fact that he won the Tour Championship last year and is number 13 in the world shows that he is at least a very good golfer these days. He'll never be what he once was, but he is still very, very god and may have a few more majors left inn him. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him contend in the Masters in a few weeks. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if he won it.

Again, I don't understand the Tiger hate that seems to be around. People who hate Tiger today blame his bad behavior with regards to his marriage, but I recall there being quite a bit of Tiger hate before that all happened.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
I don't worship the ground that anyone walks on, but I also appreciate what people have done.

No one is perfect and we've all done good an bad. While I agree Tiger's behavior with regards to his marriage was unacceptable, he has done many things that benefit the poor. He has brought millions of young people and minorities into the game. His charity foundations do a lot of good for people all around the world. What he's done for the game of golf and the PGA Tour is immeasurable.

Does all the good offset the bad? I don't know. I guess that for each of us to decide.

Was a "GOOD" golfer??? You've got to be kidding or haven't been paying attention for the past 25 years.

The fact that he won the Tour Championship last year and is number 13 in the world shows that he is at least a very good golfer these days. He'll never be what he once was, but he is still very, very god and may have a few more majors left inn him. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him contend in the Masters in a few weeks. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if he won it.

Again, I don't understand the Tiger hate that seems to be around. People who hate Tiger today blame his bad behavior with regards to his marriage, but I recall there being quite a bit of Tiger hate before that all happened.
Freudian? - how appropriate
Closed Thread

Tags
jordan, tiger, speith, add, wins

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.