Power Recliner Repair ??????

Closed Thread
Old 03-04-2022, 04:27 PM
Default Power Recliner Repair ??????

Anyone know someone who can repair a power recliner? It's stuck in a partially-reclined position, but the rest of the power functions (head position, lumbar) still work fine.

I've unplugged and replugged, visually checked for suspicious wiring, etc., and have run out self-repair ideas.

The store where I bought it (Home Design) has closed, and their remaining store has been no help; Other furniture stores won't touch it because we didn't buy it from them, but they said to call Fast Furniture Repair. Those people told me they don't service this area anymore; ...

I need a local technician/handyperson who knows this stuff. I can't be the first person who's experienced this problem, but no one seems to have any further suggestions.

BTW: Does this make you think twice about buying a POWER recliner????
Old 03-04-2022, 07:59 PM

Sounds like a bad switch or wire to/from the switch which moves the recliner up/down. Or, the motor that moves the chair up/down is bad.
Old 03-04-2022, 08:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandr View Post
Anyone know someone who can repair a power recliner? It's stuck in a partially-reclined position, but the rest of the power functions (head position, lumbar) still work fine.

I've unplugged and replugged, visually checked for suspicious wiring, etc., and have run out self-repair ideas.

The store where I bought it (Home Design) has closed, and their remaining store has been no help; Other furniture stores won't touch it because we didn't buy it from them, but they said to call Fast Furniture Repair. Those people told me they don't service this area anymore; ...

I need a local technician/handyperson who knows this stuff. I can't be the first person who's experienced this problem, but no one seems to have any further suggestions.

BTW: Does this make you think twice about buying a POWER recliner????
I believe i can help you, if (big if) I can identify the parts that make up the mechanical drive system. many times the plastic gears in these units fail with the result that the motor may run, but the chair does not move. Also, depending on the type of control I have seen relays and driver transistors fail.
Bottom line, if the manufacturer of the chair can be determined it is usually possible to buy replacement parts, which i can install.
Let me know if you are interested.
Old 03-04-2022, 08:54 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Have you attempted to contact the manufacturer of the chair. If the chair is from a reputable manufacturer, they will have a support number to call or EMAIL.

I have a chair that has a hand control with 8 buttons. As long as the chair is plugged in, the buttons for recline and headrest work. But only one button works at a time. If one of the recline buttons is activated, the headrest buttons do not operate and vice versa. The massage, Heat and Lumbar buttons require a Power Button to be pressed first.

If neither recline button works (Up or Down), it could be a defective control. Do you have access to a second control? Is your control handheld or part of chair

It may be a frayed wire underneath. Check UTube for some help. See attached for frayed wire issue.

recliner electric recline button does not work utube - Bing video
Closed Thread

Tags
power, repair, recliner, furniture, store

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.