Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   RDOG (Responsible Dog Owners Group) (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/rdog-responsible-dog-owners-group-159/)
-   -   Attack Dog (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/rdog-responsible-dog-owners-group-159/attack-dog-59660/)

n8xwb 08-30-2012 07:44 AM

Are we permitted in new construction areas? Perhaps these dogs were there for a reason?!

Bonnevie 08-30-2012 07:46 AM

as a dog owner I'm really bothered by this. My two 10 lb dogs were attacked by a large dog that escaped from someone's yard (not at TV) so I know how frightening it can be. I echo what everyone is saying in that it is the owner's that should be accountable. I think most true dog people are very responsible.

Taltarzac725 08-30-2012 07:54 AM

Lots of well behaved large dogs at Doggie Doo Run Run which is a private dog park at the intersection of CR101 and CR104. It's about 1 mile north off of CR101. That's north of Southern Trace Shopping Center.

There are German Shepherds, Elkhounds, Basset Hounds, a German Pointer, Greyhounds, many kinds of Retreivers, Labradors, etc. It is usually the smaller dogs that cause more trouble than the bigger dogs as the smaller ones seem to have much more of an attitude.

On walks too with my dog it is usually the smaller dogs that have been much more of a problem than the bigger ones.

Madelaine Amee 08-30-2012 07:58 AM

Attack Dogs

Quote:

Originally Posted by n8xwb (Post 549207)
Are we permitted in new construction areas? Perhaps these dogs were there for a reason?!

These were my thoughts too. It might be that you were off TV property and someone around here has attack dogs to protect their privacy .......... the difficult part about this, to me, is that the dogs followed you for a mile without being called back, so they had to know the terrain to get back to the owner!

BlueHeronFan 08-30-2012 08:06 AM

Quick remedy.....well maybe not so quick, but when you fear for your life while being attacked by a dog, and have to flee, and yet still have to fear for your life, take out the cell phone and if you can compose yourself enough, use the video feature, and then sue the pants off of this jerk.

duffysmom 08-30-2012 09:13 AM

I don't doubt the OP's post. Some time back my husband was walking the track in the polo grounds when confronted by a dog who was running loose and nipping at his heels. My husband stopped and called to the owner to put the dog on a leash (my husband was viciously attacked by a dog and is wary). The dog's owner angrily came over to my husband, stepped up to his face and asked him what he was going to do about it if he didn't put the dog on a leash. My husband is in his late 70's and this man appeared to be in his 50's. We called the Sheriff who told my husband he would ride by but that the polo grounds are private property. The dog was mirroring the owner's aggression. Sad to say it's people's irresponsible behavior that give dogs, big and small, a bad rap. :rant-rave:

jnieman 08-30-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golf2140 (Post 549105)
Wife and I were driving in our golf cart exploring the new construction south of Bonifay. A man had two very large dogs running loose. The two dogs started to attack our cart and us. The one dog was a large black dog the other was white with a gray spot, both very aggressive, They both tried biteing the wife amd I while in our cart. They also actually bit the tires and cart. We tried getting away but they both were faster then our cart. The both tried to bite our legs while we were seated in the cart. We finally were able to make a run for it with the light colored dog chasing us for about a mile. I am a dog loved had them for years. The Villages is not built to have large dogs. The land area we own, it's just not fair to the dogs. So please stop buying new dogs once you arrive. If this happens again I will be dialing 911 and hope the Deputie is able to take out theses dogs.

I feel for you to have had this happen. I am very nervous when I am around a barking dog after having been bitten two times in the last 5 years. Dogs that behave that way do not belong around people and definitely not loose. I would have called the sheriff as soon as I was out of their range. I have seen many well behaved large dogs in the Villages and many well behaved small dogs. I have also seen many dogs large and small that are not well behaved and their owners don't seem to care. Both dog bites were at houses that I was visiting and both times I was asked to come into the house with them knowing they had an aggressive dog living there. So naturally I am very squeemish when I am approached by a barking dog. I hope you can forget about this incident and move on without any bad memories.

Barefoot 08-30-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golf2140 (Post 549105)
The Villages is not built to have large dogs. The land area we own, it's just not fair to the dogs. So please stop buying new dogs once you arrive.

Golf 2140, I'm so sorry that you and your wife had such a horrible experience. It must have been very frightening, and I'm glad you're both OK. The dogs obviously have an owner who is completely irresponsible.

However I don't think it is fair to ask people "please stop buying new dogs once you arrive" in The Villages. Yes, lots are small, but dogs can easily be exercised daily at local dog parks.

buggyone 08-30-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duffysmom (Post 549265)
I don't doubt the OP's post. Some time back my husband was walking the track in the polo grounds when confronted by a dog who was running loose and nipping at his heels. My husband stopped and called to the owner to put the dog on a leash (my husband was viciously attacked by a dog and is wary). The dog's owner angrily came over to my husband, stepped up to his face and asked him what he was going to do about it if he didn't put the dog on a leash. My husband is in his late 70's and this man appeared to be in his 50's. We called the Sheriff who told my husband he would ride by but that the polo grounds are private property. The dog was mirroring the owner's aggression. Sad to say it's people's irresponsible behavior that give dogs, big and small, a bad rap. :rant-rave:

I would say this is amazing at the least - to have a dog owner say to a man in his late 70's "What you going to do about it?" That is teen age behaviour. The police would certainly intervene if you have been threatened even if it is private property. Did your husband call the Sheriff when this happened or wait until getting home? Makes a difference.

shcisamax 08-30-2012 01:17 PM

I am beginning to wonder about this thread. There are three pages of people asking questions and voicing either empathy or concerns and the original poster is not responding. I hope this wasn't one of those threads to stir people up which sometimes happens.

Barefoot 08-30-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shcisamax (Post 549321)
I am beginning to wonder about this thread. There are three pages of people asking questions and voicing either empathy or concerns and the original poster is not responding. I hope this wasn't one of those threads to stir people us sometimes happens.

Actually, that was one of my first thoughts, that it might be a Troll. But the OP has been a member for over three years with 758 posts. So I think the concerns are valid.

batman911 08-30-2012 01:34 PM

Or it could be someone trying to scare everyone to get them to stay out of the new construction areas.

shcisamax 08-30-2012 01:55 PM

Thanks Barefoot. I do wish they would come back however to clarify some very concerning points - first and foremost...where exactly was this?

paulandjean 08-30-2012 02:12 PM

I said this on the 11th post, sounds little hard to believe......................

goodgrief 08-30-2012 02:14 PM

First off I don't have a beef with a person having dogs as long as they are responsible, take care of them, pick up after them and keep them leashed. Most owners are responsible and care for there animals. And there animals are well behaved.

Its those few that don't that make the problems. If the dogs are aggressive and chase me, try to bite me and I am armed at the time...the dog won't survive. I will call the sheriff to pick it up. This has happened once before to me and it was a pit bull mix. (not in the villages) The owner didn't care that this dog ran loose and tried to attack people. He cared after I put it down when it came at me. You have every right to protect yourself. And the nice thing was every neighbor came out and filed a report against the owner when the sheriff did come out to take the dead animal. So he didn't have a leg to stand on. The owner can also be taken to court over costs incurred in injury and the dog removed and destroyed. Whoever the owner is needs to take notice. There are better leash laws here than where I used to live which is good.

I am glad you and your wife are okay. What time of day did this occur? The owner didn't try to retrieve them?? Sounds like he feels he has his own personal dogpark down that way.

I tell you what...call the sheriff or animal control...tell him what time of day this was...where it was exactly...description of the animals. Ten to one he'll be out there the next day at the same time and place with the dogs (unless he reads this board :) ). They might be able to pick up the animals and fine the owner before someone really gets hurt.