Attack Dog

Old 09-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to babbs455

and also might add that these dogs were with the family for years as house pets, a retriever mix, black lab and some mix breed terrier you can't predict sometimes what they will do. Just be responsible pet owners that's all!!!
Old 09-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Platinum member

I, too, have small chihuahua type dogs. I think they sometimes act aggressive around bigger dogs because they use the "best defense is an offense". Imagine seeing something towering over you. I have run into a fair amount of larger dog owners who don't use a leash (not in TV) going into local dog park and they all say the same thing, "oh, my dog won't hurt them". the problem is, you never know, and one bite around the neck of my dogs could kill them, whereas one ankle nip to there's won't. So seeing large dogs off leash is just as infuriating to me.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Location: IL,CA 23 yrs, AK 12 yrs, IN 18 yrs, TV the rest of my yrs!

I have dogs, work with dogs, and love dogs. I would be very upset if this happened to me. Having said that, the size has nothing to do with the behavior of the dog. It is 100 percent, the owners responsibility to make sure that when the dog is in a public area, or at home for that matter, he has control of his animals. For starters the dogs needed to be on a leash. If the dogs are afraid of G-carts then he needs to work with them on that. If he can't take the time to work with his animals so that others can be safe he needs to either find a new homw for the dogs or leave them at home. A dog can't follow a rule if he doesn't know the rules. I really hate it when dogs get the short end of the stick because a dog owner is too lazy to train the dog. Grrrr! If your dog has issues you don't know how to deal with please invest in a professional early on instead of a laywer when something goes wrong! Gotta pay to play, please play fair!
Old 09-02-2012, 10:36 PM

I have dogs, work with dogs, and love dogs. I would be very upset if this happened to me. Having said that, the size has nothing to do with the behavior of the dog. It is 100 percent, the owners responsibility to make sure that when the dog is in a public area, or at home for that matter, he has control of his animals. For starters the dogs needed to be on a leash. If the dogs are afraid of G-carts then he needs to work with them on that. If he can't take the time to work with his animals so that others can be safe he needs to either find a new homw for the dogs or leave them at home. A dog can't follow a rule if he doesn't know the rules. I really hate it when dogs get the short end of the stick because a dog owner is too lazy to train the dog. Grrrr! If your dog has issues you don't know how to deal with please invest in a professional early on instead of a laywer when something goes wrong! Gotta pay to play, please play fair!
Old 09-02-2012, 10:50 PM

Also like to add that, during that mile if those dogs wanted to harm you, they would have. My guess, it's was a tire thing. Glad you're okay.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:01 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Lots of well behaved large dogs at Doggie Doo Run Run which is a private dog park at the intersection of CR101 and CR104. It's about 1 mile north off of CR101. That's north of Southern Trace Shopping Center.

There are German Shepherds, Elkhounds, Basset Hounds, a German Pointer, Greyhounds, many kinds of Retreivers, Labradors, etc. It is usually the smaller dogs that cause more trouble than the bigger dogs as the smaller ones seem to have much more of an attitude.

On walks too with my dog it is usually the smaller dogs that have been much more of a problem than the bigger ones.
As the owner of two tinies I have to agree with you. Which begs the question. Does anyone know a good dog trainer in the area? I want my pups to be good dog citizens and play well with others. Thanks for any information.

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Old 09-03-2012, 07:37 AM

I am moving to Sanibel soon and to hear this upsets me because I am afraid of big dogs....So many have asked where were the owners when this was happening please ans so we can be aware of these dogs..And I agree it is not the dogs it is the owners who should go to classes to learn how to train their dogs....Its people like them that make people hate dogs....
Old 09-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Gold member

For those of you who are frightened when confronted by an aggressive unleashed dog, it’s best to remember Cesar Milan’s advice to clients entering his canine exercise pen with 30 problem dogs:

1. No Touch
2. No Talk
3. No Eye Contact

Basically ignore the dog and go about your business as though it isn't there. This tends to calm the dog down while it tries to figure out why you’re not reacting to its aggression.

And if you visit with friends that have a dog, ignore all advice from them about how friendly rover is and never approach it to try to make friends with it. Instead, let it decide to make friends with you if it wants to. It will do this by checking you out with its main inspection tool (it’s nose) and then nuzzling your hand if it wants affection.

And finally, never ever reach out to a dog (even one that knows you) while it’s being held in the arms of its owner because that’s a direct invasion of its private space and will often result in a defensive nip.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
For those of you who are frightened when confronted by an aggressive unleashed dog, it’s best to remember Cesar Milan’s advice to clients entering his canine exercise pen with 30 problem dogs:

1. No Touch
2. No Talk
3. No Eye Contact

Basically ignore the dog and go about your business as though it isn't there. This tends to calm the dog down while it tries to figure out why you’re not reacting to its aggression.

And if you visit with friends that have a dog, ignore all advice from them about how friendly rover is and never approach it to try to make friends with it. Instead, let it decide to make friends with you if it wants to. It will do this by checking you out with its main inspection tool (it’s nose) and then nuzzling your hand if it wants affection.

And finally, never ever reach out to a dog (even one that knows you) while it’s being held in the arms of its owner because that’s a direct invasion of its private space and will often result in a defensive nip.
Yes, I agree, but one important point missed,
Cesar stresses, You must be calm and assertive.
The folks that were being chased, and could not be calm, and assertive.

To confirm that I know Cesar's methods work,
With Cesar's dvd series, I trained my almost 13 year old German Shephard and our Lab mix this spring using Cesars methods, as we unknowingly had given them the front door, and front porch as their territory, and they would charge the door, bark and jump up on people to kiss them. And pulled and walked in front when on the leash.
What it really boils down to is I retrained myself, and retrained my husband, (my dh being the most difficult, several weeks) the dogs responded almost immediately to OUR new behavior.

So I agree the fault lies with the owner being irresponcible not having them leashed.

Sorry to make this so long, but I am sorry the dogs tried to bite. This spring I was bitten by a dog the owner was walking on a leash that had told me Piper was a ""lover not a biter.
We were all standing around talking, and I was carressing Pipers head she leaped up knocked me down and I had 5 bite marks, punctures on my face, and a chiped front tooth. The owner then admited she had never trained the dog, and the dog had had 2 other crazy instances since last Thanksgiving. I called the Sherrif here in Greater Cincinnati, and made a report, got info from them, and my Vet., as to what to do. The next day I chose to let them decided what was best for their dog, as I could have opted to have it put down. Being a Puppymomma my dogs are my only children, I wanted to give them right to make the decision, but they did have to quarantine in for 10 days, and they paid my medical, and dental bill. This is the same dog I found out that leeped through the kitchen screen, and chewed up my neighbors leg 3 years before trying to bite his dog.
I won't walk on their street anymore because they chose to keep the dog.

Owners need trained, dogs need leashed, and trained.

GOLF2140, I sincerely hope you or someone spots the irresponcible dog owner, and contacts the athorities.
Puppy Hugs,
Puppymomma, alias Dancing Queen

Last edited by Dancing Queen; 09-04-2012 at 01:41 AM.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.