cheap shots

Old 04-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Default cheap shots

Does anyone know where to go for shots in the Villages besides the vets?
Old 04-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Veteran member

I think Marion County animal services offers shots at a discount. Sometimes I see signs at Petco, too.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:40 AM

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2011, 01:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsu View Post
Does anyone know where to go for shots in the Villages besides the vets?
Look at the top right of the screen, right across from the words "Talk of the Villages" and you will see a bright yellow advertisement for www.cheapshots.us and they give shots on the first friday of the month at the pavillion at Lake Miona Rec Center .
Old 04-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Sage

Cheap shots. I almost skipped over this thread. Then I realized you didn't mean the political kind.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:06 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
Look at the top right of the screen, right across from the words "Talk of the Villages" and you will see a bright yellow advertisement for www.cheapshots.us and they give shots on the first friday of the month at the pavillion at Lake Miona Rec Center .
K-9,

Thanks for the info. I would like to ask a question, if I may... as I respect your knowledge about our furry friends.

There are three reasons I have always been a bit skeptical of getting my pets' vaccinations other the vets: 1. because the vet will also do an exam to ensure that the pup or kitty is otherwise healthy; 2. to have an established relationship with a vet in case of illness and to remind me of the time to get the vaccines (some1 year, some 3 years) and 3. in case of an adverse reaction to the vaccine - especially in the case of small doggies.

Would really like to hear your (and any other pet owners - i.e. NO FUMAR ) thoughts on this..
Old 04-17-2011, 06:37 PM
Veteran member

Katezbox, I agree with you about utilizing a Vet’s office for vacs for all the reasons you mentioned. Vaccines are not harmless. Adverse reactions, especially in little dogs, is not uncommon. They can range from mild to critical. My oldest guy went into full anaphylactic shock after his last rabies vaccination. It took a few minutes after the vaccination before it started, but we were still in the Vet’s office because I always stick around for awhile after a vaccination, just in case. The staff went into full emergency mode and saved his life. If we hadn’t been at the Vet’s when it happened, he would not have lived. Of course, a rabies vaccination has to be given by a Vet, but the other core vaccines are known to cause reactions as well. And a vaccine should never be given to a dog that isn’t completely well.

For those that aren’t aware, all of the Vet teaching schools in the US have gone to a 3-year protocol for re-vaccination of the core (non rabies) vaccinations. The recommendations for annual booster shots for parvo, distemper, etc. always came from the drug manufacturers, without any medical studies to base those recommendations on. Many cancers, immune diseases and other problems are now believed to be caused by over vaccination. Personally, after the initial puppy shots and the first year booster, I don’t re-booster for anything other than rabies, which is required by law. I've had my dogs titer tested occasionally and they still show immunity to parvo and distemper many years after their last vaccination.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:51 PM

The primary vaccine that causes "most" vaccine reactions is Leptospirosis. CheapShots does not give that vaccine and in most cases it is not needed. The "core vaccinations" used in veterinary medicine are DA2PP, Bordetella, and Rabies. It is highly unlikely that Rabies would cause an anaphylactic reaction as it is a killed vaccine while the rest are modified live or attenuated. I bet if you looked at the records you may find lepto in the vaccines given and that is the most likely reactant.

While it is true that most of the teaching veterinary hospitals are on a 3 year schedule for vaccines, regretfully a very small number of clinics have made that change. CheapShots is the ONLY vaccine service that gives a 3 year rabies vaccine to all the animals it vaccinates. A 3 year DA2PP is available however duration of efficacy for that time frame is questionable. CheapShots gives a 1 year DA2PP. The Bordetella vaccine should be given every 6 months, however few people are willing to follow this vaccination schedule and elect to give it once a year as well.

CheapShots is a way for people to afford the basic care and immunizations needed for their pets. I am proud of what we have accomplished as a service to the community. I don't work a weekend where someone doesn't thank me for our help and our kindness to their pets. In short ... it's made practicing fun again. Best Wishes to all and come say Hi to us on Friday April 29th at Lake Miona Rec Center Pavilion. We can watch the golfers splash golf balls together. ;-)

CheapShots
Old 05-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapShots View Post
The primary vaccine that causes "most" vaccine reactions is Leptospirosis. CheapShots does not give that vaccine and in most cases it is not needed. The "core vaccinations" used in veterinary medicine are DA2PP, Bordetella, and Rabies. It is highly unlikely that Rabies would cause an anaphylactic reaction as it is a killed vaccine while the rest are modified live or attenuated. I bet if you looked at the records you may find lepto in the vaccines given and that is the most likely reactant.
I agree that the Lepto vaccine is the most frequent cause of adverse reactions. However, I don’t vaccinate for Lepto, and I would never give the rabies vaccination on the same day as other vaccinations. In fact, I separate them out by several weeks.

The rabies shot was the only vaccine he received that day and it was indeed the cause of the reaction. My Vet consulted with the vaccine manufacturer and they agreed that the event was “consistent with an immediate type hypersensitivity reaction” (their words). The vaccine manufacturer also paid for all of the reaction-related emergency care. This was not the first time they have seen this kind of reaction and it wasn’t the first time my Vet had seen it either. My dog now has (in my current state) a permanent medical waiver for the rabies vaccination. There are quite a few states that have enacted legislation that allow for a rabies vaccine waiver...because of adverse (and life threatening) reactions.

While my dog experienced the most severe reaction that I have personal knowledge of, as a member of numerous dog-related groups for many years...I have seen and heard of quite a few adverse reactions to the rabies vaccine (as well as other vaccines).

CheapShots, I’m sure that you are a dedicated professional who provides a valuable low cost service. I have no doubt that there are folks who are happy with you and your services and I’m not trying to discount that in any way.

However, based on my 15-some years worth of research along with my personal experience, when it comes to vaccinations, there are two things I consider imperative: A thorough medical exam prior to the vaccination and quick access to emergency care after the vaccination, if it becomes necessary.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Thanks for the info, but I clicked the link, and I can't find any schedule for Sumter County, The Villages, or Lake Miona?
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 05-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
K-9,

Thanks for the info. I would like to ask a question, if I may... as I respect your knowledge about our furry friends.

There are three reasons I have always been a bit skeptical of getting my pets' vaccinations other the vets: 1. because the vet will also do an exam to ensure that the pup or kitty is otherwise healthy; 2. to have an established relationship with a vet in case of illness and to remind me of the time to get the vaccines (some1 year, some 3 years) and 3. in case of an adverse reaction to the vaccine - especially in the case of small doggies.

Would really like to hear your (and any other pet owners - i.e. NO FUMAR ) thoughts on this..
Skybo has explained well the risks of vaccinations. We do not vaccinate our pets. However, we never board our dogs, don't visit dog parks, or engage in any activities where our dogs are interacting with a number of other dogs. In those cases, dogs should be vaccinated.

Last edited by K9-Lovers; 05-14-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Skybo has explained well the risks of vaccinations. We do not vaccinate our pets. However, we never board our dogs, don't visit dog parks, or engage in any activities where our dogs are interacting with a number of other dogs. In those cases, dogs should be vaccinated.
What happens if your pet needs vet/medical attention. I have cats and do not want to vaccinate even for rabies, yes, I know, mandated but I have indoor cats. That being said, my vet refuses to see my cats if they do not have their vaccinations. Rabies and Distemper are mandatory. I understand even Emergency vets will not treat an ill cat or dog without proper vaccinations.

Comments please?
Old 05-31-2011, 02:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Cheap shots. I almost skipped over this thread. Then I realized you didn't mean the political kind.
And I thought the thread was about alcohol.........
Old 05-31-2011, 09:53 AM

Check with all the Humane Societies. Sumter County, Marion County and Lake County. They all usually have a schedule of when they are having the vacines and where. Also check with Petco they have them from time to time.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapShots View Post

While it is true that most of the teaching veterinary hospitals are on a 3 year schedule for vaccines, regretfully a very small number of clinics have made that change. CheapShots is the ONLY vaccine service that gives a 3 year rabies vaccine to all the animals it vaccinates. A 3 year DA2PP is available however duration of efficacy for that time frame is questionable. CheapShots gives a 1 year DA2PP. The Bordetella vaccine should be given every 6 months, however few people are willing to follow this vaccination schedule and elect to give it once a year as well.

CheapShots is a way for people to afford the basic care and immunizations needed for their pets. I am proud of what we have accomplished as a service to the community. I don't work a weekend where someone doesn't thank me for our help and our kindness to their pets. In short ... it's made practicing fun again. Best Wishes to all and come say Hi to us on Friday April 29th at Lake Miona Rec Center Pavilion. We can watch the golfers splash golf balls together. ;-)

CheapShots

Thank you for the update. The Lepto vaccine was a major worry for us. Our breeder (in NH) wanted us to skip it but our vet (in Conn where we lived before TV) said that the risk of contracting Leptospirosis was too great in warmer areas.

I have seen a vaccine reaction (in one of my non-furry children), so I may be overly cautious. I think you are doing a great service - especially for folks who cannot afford vet care as the cost of living increases way beyond their pension.

k

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.