Dog Feces Disposal- Request for group action!

Old 08-18-2012, 06:31 AM
Default Dog Feces Disposal- Request for group action!

At our mail room, the trash receptacles now carry a sign “No Animal Feces, Please”. I’m not sure if this is local signage, or univeral touching all mail rooms. I understand the reasons for the signage, but doubt that this approach will work. People are reluctant to take smelly feces home in their cars, and likely will simply ignore the signs.

I suggest instead, they create one waste receptacle (maybe in a special color) somewhere in the dog “walking area” labeled “Animal Feces Only”.

I think this approach might have a chance of succeeding, mostly.

Don Kobes
Old 08-18-2012, 06:38 AM
Veteran member

I totally agree with you donkobes - been my thought for some time. Good idea.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:53 AM

Your dog.......your mess. Take it home! Better yet, walk the dog on YOUR property, not the community property!
Old 08-18-2012, 07:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Your dog.......your mess. Take it home! Better yet, walk the dog on YOUR property, not the community property!
Wow - that's a little strong. Dogs need exercise and walking circles around my house doesn't do me or the dog any good. Responsible dog owners pick up their dog's mess and pay what you pay to live in this community and should have equal access. I always try to have my dog poop in a certain non public area, but I can't control everything. Sometimes when you gotta go you gotta go
Old 08-18-2012, 07:38 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Wow - that's a little strong. Dogs need exercise and walking circles around my house doesn't do me or the dog any good. Responsible dog owners pick up their dog's mess and pay what you pay to live in this community and should have equal access. I always try to have my dog poop in a certain non public area, but I can't control everything. Sometimes when you gotta go you gotta go
Rules are rules, You wanted a dog,its your responsibily to clean it up and take home his mess. If you want to walk your dog,do where humans do not walk. You have to follow the rules,think we should fine dog owners if their dog make mistakes.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:00 AM

Let me see community-yup last I knew that included dogs and cats and idiots!
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 08-18-2012, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Bill!!! Where is the popcorn???? We have another canine feces thread.

I love dogs.
We have cats.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts
Default Now, how would you clean up after TreT??

TreT, The Parkour Dog From Ukraine, Amazes With His Free-Running Talent (VIDEO)

Glad we do not have any parkour dogs here in the Villages. Can you imagine the poop trails?

All of the mail centers that I have been to in the Villages have stickers on their trash cans saying "no pet feces" or something to that effect.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkobes View Post
At our mail room, the trash receptacles now carry a sign “No Animal Feces, Please”. I’m not sure if this is local signage, or univeral touching all mail rooms. I understand the reasons for the signage, but doubt that this approach will work. People are reluctant to take smelly feces home in their cars, and likely will simply ignore the signs.

I suggest instead, they create one waste receptacle (maybe in a special color) somewhere in the dog “walking area” labeled “Animal Feces Only”.

I think this approach might have a chance of succeeding, mostly.

Don Kobes
One of the problems that using the waste receptacles in the mail stations for dog waste was the smell that emanated from them especially in the summer. A separate receptacle won't solve that problem. And there are those who will use either receptacle despite the signs (and do even now!). The real solution is to carry disposal bags and take the stuff home for disposal there.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
One of the problems that using the waste receptacles in the mail stations for dog waste was the smell that emanated from them especially in the summer. A separate receptacle won't solve that problem. And there are those who will use either receptacle despite the signs (and do even now!). The real solution is to carry disposal bags and take the stuff home for disposal there.
The Lake Miona Park has a receptacle for dog poop which does seem to contain the smell. They also supply some bags to pick up dog poop. This is I expect a County and not a Villages park though. http://fl-sumtercounty.civicplus.com/index.aspx?NID=204
Old 08-18-2012, 08:38 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

it sounds like there are a lot of dog-owning residents who do not "self-enforce" re the rules for no dog feces in trash receptacles - - - - - i wonder what opinion those same folks hold re the enforcement of deed restrictions.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Sage

Dogs need exercise! For sure...BUT I've noticed folks bringing their dogs via their car or golf cart to the mailboxes common area as well as the rec centers common areas specifically to walk them. I don't think the trash recepticals here should be used for the "left-overs"

Now for the
Old 08-18-2012, 08:49 AM
Send a message via AIM to Mickedamouse24

The grassy areas around the mail rooms, to include the rear of the facility, are not dog walk areas! In our neighborhood, dog owners use these areas, along with areas around the shuttle board to let their pets do their business! And some of these inconsiderate folks do not pick up after their pets. As stated earlier, your animal, your choice to own it, use your yard for a pet potty, dispose waste at your house!!!! Pretty simple!!!
Old 08-18-2012, 09:03 AM

Lets see now..You take your dog to an area where lots of dogs crap. They walk around in the mess that doesn't always get cleaned up as well as it should. Most dogs don't wear rubber boots when walking in this kind of area. And they love to stick there cute little nose right down in the grass to get a better smell of what was deposited there!Then when the little darling is done doing his business, he jumps into the cart/car without cleaning his feet! Sometimes he even gets to sit on the owners lap for the drive home and gives his kind master a nice lick and nuzzle for being so kind! And to think I use a germicide to wipe down a grocery cart handle!
Old 08-18-2012, 09:42 AM

And while your at it, make sure that dog of yours has 2 inch wide straps on it's top!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.