What's the POOP?

Old 04-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Exclamation What's the POOP?

I own two dogs; a maltipoo and schizon. Regardless of where I stroll them, I ALWAYS clean up after them. It is the responsibility of the dog owner/walker to remove fecal matter from the ground and dispose of it properly.
That said, today, I strolled the girls for the first time at the pond next on the south corner of El Camino Real and Morse Blvd; near Freedom Pointe. While walking, I was stupefied at how much dog waste was there.
HUGE mounds of poop from large dogs by all of the trees. Some small poop as well.
Bottom line is, there should not be poop left behind from YOUR DOG'S BEHIND. Why can't you take the responsible route and pick it up? Should that not occur, the rest of us will continue to get a bad rap for YOUR LAZINESS. How inconsiderate can you be? When you buzz along and have the dog run outside of your cart, it's on you to clean it up.
No wonder people complain. It's disgusting. I truly hope that you are ticketed for this slovenly behavior.
SHAME ON THE OFFENDERS.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:18 PM
Platinum member

I agree. Shame on the offenders!

Unfortunately the offenders will not change. They only think of themselves. Selfish! Selfish!
Old 04-11-2014, 10:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

When I was growing up, everybody smoked, and nobody picked up their dog's poop. Now most people don't smoke, and most everybody picks up their dog's poop.

When we first started visiting France, dog poop was everywhere. When we lived in France in 2010, you hardly saw any of it. The reason was because France could no longer afford to employ municipal workers to clean up the dog poop, so they imposed heavy fines instead. I mean HEAVY fines--$275 euros. All of a sudden, unscooped dog poop became a rare occurrence.

My two points are 1) there are more dogs now than there were back in the middle of the last century, and so there is a need for everyone to pick up their dog's poop.2. Education and fines are the key to changing people's behavior (see France above). 3. The older you are, the less inclined you are to change. You grew up not having to pick up after your pet, and you're not necessarily inclined to start doing it now. That was the case in my neighborhood in France. The older the dog owner, the more the poop they didn't pick up.

I know, that's three points, not two.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:12 PM
Platinum member

In reference to the last post......I would LOVE to see a hefty fine for those that do not pick up! The money could go to the animal shelters.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:18 PM
Platinum member

I used to manage RV resorts. Dog poop became a real problem. We finally imposed a $50 fine. The person that left the mess paid $50 and unbeknownst to them, the $50 was given to the person who turned them in.

Our only problem was that most people who left the mess would do it in the dark when no one could see them. We actually had folks hide in bushes trying to find the offender (and get $50)
Old 04-11-2014, 10:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
......I would LOVE to see a hefty fine for those that do not pick up! The money could go to the animal shelters.
I would love to see a large fine for anyone who pollutes. There is no excuse for not picking up. Those irresponsible people give the majority of respectful dog owners a very bad name.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
I used to manage RV resorts. Dog poop became a real problem. We finally imposed a $50 fine. The person that left the mess paid $50 and unbeknownst to them, the $50 was given to the person who turned them in.

Our only problem was that most people who left the mess would do it in the dark when no one could see them. We actually had folks hide in bushes trying to find the offender (and get $50)
Great idea!
Old 04-12-2014, 12:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

One of the things I have noticed is that when someone sees a dog owner whose dog is taking a dump, they say nothing.

What is everyone afraid of???
If you see an offender, say something to them. Embarrass them.
And if they don't pick it up, follow them, see where they live and report them.

Yes. I'm serious!

P. S. I'm a dog owner.

Last edited by Bonanza; 04-12-2014 at 12:56 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-12-2014, 06:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
One of the things I have noticed is that when someone sees a dog owner whose dog is taking a dump, they say nothing.

Yes. I'm serious!

P. S. I'm a dog owner.

100% agree. I have gotten my share of snarls, cussing and the bird very often, but I also get some to pick it up.....we need the see something say something frame of mind adopted in our too tolerant, permissive American way of life.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:56 AM
Gold member

There will always be people who just don't care about others! They are disgusting
people... totally selfish!
Old 04-12-2014, 07:02 AM
Veteran member

I'd love to see hefty fines for ALL littering, including poop. Hefty fines, make it hurt!

OR, the offenders would have the option of spending their afternoon picking up poop for the community, wearing a brightly colored vest with the words "Poop Offender".
Old 04-12-2014, 09:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post

I agree. If I see someone not picking up after their dog, I always offer them a bag.
I find this happens a lot when we're traveling, outside hotels and at service areas.
Most pet owners are clean and responsible and respectful. But not all.

Almost always, I get a sheepish "thank you".
Occasionally I get a "mind your own business", but that rarely happens.
And then I just say a little prayer for the dog because he has such a nasty owner.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:59 AM
Platinum member

I ALWAYS have plastic bags in my pocket. If I see an offender, I will "assume" that they forgot and offer them one.

If you don't have pockets, you can always tie a few plastic bags on the leash.

Absolutely NO excuse for leaving a pet mess behind....EVER
Old 04-12-2014, 10:27 AM

We have a corner lot in Collier, it makes me angry that people use my lot as there dogs restroom. And not there own. One guy that lives across the street , walks his dog over to our yard to do it's duty, and turns around and walk right back into his home.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:05 AM
Sage

Please tell me we can end this poop thread now that everyone is in agreement.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.