Cost to cancel "for sale" contract with the villages??

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2014, 03:24 PM
Default Cost to cancel "for sale" contract with the villages??

We are extremely unhappy with our experience with "The Villages" as a preowned sales Rep and at 2 months our place should have sold the first month. The Villages has made nothing but mistakes in our property's advertising both print and online ads. I was WARNED about the Villages but did not listen. HAS ANYONE EVER CANCELLED A CONTRACT FOR SALE OF THEIR HOUSE WITH THE VILLAGES?????? I was told they charge you for each Open House and our Sales person has had many but still has not sold it! Any input appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:16 PM
Default Cancelling For Sale Sales contract with Villages Sales

The terms of the contract should be outlined in writnig and you probably agreed to them.
What I would like to ask?
Did you complete a disclosure document with the sales agent?
Did the sales agent explain the importance of the disclosure document?
Old 04-14-2014, 05:39 PM
Veteran member

A clean well-maintained house that is priced right WILL sell.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

It's called a Listing Agreement. If you signed a 90 day agreement then just wait a month and it will run out. If you signed a 120 or 180 day then you can call the broker and say, don't sell my home, they'll have to take you off since they can't sell a home the owner doesn't want sold. However, as you know they may charge you for any expenses they have incurred. Also, any clients that saw the home while it was listed with them, you'll owe them a commission if they come back and buy the home within a certain period of time.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrich61 View Post
We are extremely unhappy with our experience with "The Villages" as a preowned sales Rep and at 2 months our place should have sold the first month. The Villages has made nothing but mistakes in our property's advertising both print and online ads. I was WARNED about the Villages but did not listen. HAS ANYONE EVER CANCELLED A CONTRACT FOR SALE OF THEIR HOUSE WITH THE VILLAGES?????? I was told they charge you for each Open House and our Sales person has had many but still has not sold it! Any input appreciated. Thanks.
I am sorry you are leaving us.

But as to the contract, why don't you just ask them? I have never heard of any such charge and I have been reading this forum for a LONG time. Houses that are clean, not smoked in, priced right and haven't a lot of permanent personal décor choices move fast here. Usually Villages sales people know what is a good selling price too.

Usually when rental snowbirds go home and remember how much they like it here they start looking for homes. May and June are very good months for home sales in The Villages.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
A clean well-maintained house that is priced right WILL sell.
Was you home listed at the price recommended by The Villages?
If so, I don't blame you for complaining.
If not, have you thought of considering a price adjustment
rather than cancelling the contract?
Old 04-14-2014, 09:11 PM
Default Unhappy service

You are aware that The Villages can not list pre-owned home on the MLS system which is a valuable tool to sale any home. With that said, the decision to sale any pre-owned home with the Villages Sales Dept can hinder a quick sale. Not to say always, but this is might be the issue. Most people just assume that any home listed is placed in the MLS, a question you should always ask! Good Luck
Old 04-15-2014, 03:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Sales agents in The Villages do not belong to the local Board of Realtors, do not belong to the National Association of Realtors and do not and cannot be part of the MLS because they do not belonging to the first two associations. They are not bound by the Realtor's Code of Ethics but must adhere to any laws.

Within real estate, the two things which are responsible for the most sales are the MLS system and a 'For Sale' house sign.

Years ago The Villages agents did cooperate with other brokers, but that is a thing of the past. It's very unfortunate that is their wayof doing business because their way, everyone loses, particularly the home owners who are trying to sell their property.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:51 AM
Sage

I respectfully disagree with your last statement, Bonanza

I am not a realtor, never have been a realtor never sold houses anywhere, but many local realtors are understandably very annoyed that The Villages won't allow them to sell the new homes.

BUT....More homes are sold by The Villages system than all other agencies combined.

Most homes now are found on the internet by individuals looking for a home..

If the home is not sold here quickly than it is over priced.

If I were selling my home here I would put it on this forum and close using McLin Burnsed. Cost two years ago for their services was $750. McLin Burnsed probably handle more closings than any other individual law firm in this country.

Three or four years ago when all home sales were in a slump, The Villages sold ????? percent of all homes in the country. (someone help me remember the percentage)

I am not putting down realtors Bonanza. I just feel they really aren't as necessary here in The Villages as they are in other places. Plus a few of them are nastily anti developer. AND of course I am very pro developer.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:17 AM
Default May/June question

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am sorry you are leaving us.

But as to the contract, why don't you just ask them? I have never heard of any such charge and I have been reading this forum for a LONG time. Houses that are clean, not smoked in, priced right and haven't a lot of permanent personal décor choices move fast here. Usually Villages sales people know what is a good selling price too.

Usually when rental snowbirds go home and remember how much they like it here they start looking for homes. May and June are very good months for home sales in The Villages.
Hi Graciegirl, I am new to the Forum and this is my first post. We are looking to buy in TV. Are there usually more homes listed for sale during the months of May and June, or were you referring to completed sales of homes already listed? Thanks
Old 04-15-2014, 07:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulat585 View Post
Hi Graciegirl, I am new to the Forum and this is my first post. We are looking to buy in TV. Are there usually more homes listed for sale during the months of May and June, or were you referring to completed sales of homes already listed? Thanks

I don't know this for sure Paula, and welcome to the forum. I think I remember our villages rep telling us that late spring and early summer was his very busy time.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:32 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

I was told by a former neighbor, if you want to list your home for sale with them, they will only do a years listing contract, meaning no 3 or 6 month contracts.
Since I have no desire to move around in The Villages, this is NOT coming from experience, only what I have been told. Maybe someone who has put their home up with The Villages could confirm or set the record straight for all of us.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:44 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
I was told by a former neighbor, if you want to list your home for sale with them, they will only do a years listing contract, meaning no 3 or 6 month contracts.
Since I have no desire to move around in The Villages, this is NOT coming from experience, only what I have been told. Maybe someone who has put their home up with The Villages could confirm or set the record straight for all of us.
No that's not true. You don't have to sign anything that says 1 year. I've sold a home through the Villages and my step son is a realtor here in the Villages.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrich61 View Post

You are right that some costs are incurred with breaking a contract. I didn't think so but I emailed our rep and here is what he said;

"Good Morning,

Always good to hear from you.

When We list a home the contract is for 6 months.
If the contract is broken before the end the seller would have to pay for any
advertising or expense like that."
Old 04-15-2014, 12:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
I have sold a home with The Villages.
We used Debra Park, a professional and awesome Sales Rep.
When I wanted to reduce our price, she wouldn't let me.
She assured me it would sell within a month at the listed price, and it did.
VLS definitely doesn't require a year's listing contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post

Within real estate, the two things which are responsible for the most sales are the MLS system and a 'For Sale' house sign.
Bonanza, I beg to disagree.
There are two real estate systems in The Villages, MLS and VLS (Villages Listing System).
VLS has the advantage of an onsite sales office, trolley tours, open houses advertised daily in the Daily Sun, etc.
It's my understanding that VLS sells MORE listings than all of the companies on MLS combined.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.