Cost to cancel "for sale" contract with the villages??

Closed Thread
Old 04-15-2014, 01:40 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrich61 View Post
We are extremely unhappy with our experience with "The Villages" as a preowned sales Rep and at 2 months our place should have sold the first month. The Villages has made nothing but mistakes in our property's advertising both print and online ads. I was WARNED about the Villages but did not listen. HAS ANYONE EVER CANCELLED A CONTRACT FOR SALE OF THEIR HOUSE WITH THE VILLAGES?????? I was told they charge you for each Open House and our Sales person has had many but still has not sold it! Any input appreciated. Thanks.
I don't know the answer to your question, but it seems to have been answered by a few that do know. My thought is....have you contacted the sales department and discussed your issues? Perhaps they could assign your listing to a different agent. Another step would be to proof all ads yourself (you said there were mistakes) and just insist on being more pro-active, to make sure they get is right.

I have been a Realtor, and I have listed and purchased through Realtors, and I always kind of shake my head at the "errors". Several of our transactions would never have happened if I had not stepped in and "pushed" a bit. Shouldn't be necessary, but.........

Good luck to you.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I respectfully disagree with your last statement, Bonanza

I am not a realtor, never have been a realtor never sold houses anywhere, but many local realtors are understandably very annoyed that The Villages won't allow them to sell the new homes.

BUT....More homes are sold by The Villages system than all other agencies combined.

Most homes now are found on the internet by individuals looking for a home..

If the home is not sold here quickly than it is over priced.

If I were selling my home here I would put it on this forum and close using McLin Burnsed. Cost two years ago for their services was $750. McLin Burnsed probably handle more closings than any other individual law firm in this country.

Three or four years ago when all home sales were in a slump, The Villages sold ????? percent of all homes in the country. (someone help me remember the percentage)

I am not putting down realtors Bonanza. I just feel they really aren't as necessary here in The Villages as they are in other places. Plus a few of them are nastily anti developer. AND of course I am very pro developer.
Gracie -- I'm not sure what I said that you disagree with???

Some of my comments were geared towards real estate throughout the country, such as what I said about the MLS and sale signs. Obviously, this does not pertain to TV. There is no other place like TV anywhere in the country, that can compare to the volume of homes, the sales results -- even when we were in the slump of a down market.

What is upsetting to Realtors is the Villages sales division's refusal to cooperate with brokers. Yes, of course Villages can sell their own product and not pay another broker to bring in a customer. However, it does take away the free enterprise but mostly cooperation part of the real estate system. It is very upsetting to Realtors who pay $1,000 annually or more, for dues to their local board, in addition to dues for the MLS system, dues to the National Assn. of Realtors, etc., etc., etc. (there are other "etc." fees). It is not inexpensive to be a Realtor (as opposed to a Villages sales agent who pays almost nothing in comparison.

I have never known a Realtor to be "anti-developer." The majority of developers are thrilled to have an agent sell their properties and do cooperate with brokers. A sale with a developer is a pleasant sale for a Realtor and they love them.

Yes, it is very easy for an individual to list their own home via TOTV or a classified ad. It is also easy to be a FSBO (For Sale By Owner) in the Villages, and have the entire transaction handled by an attorney or title company.

And yes, more homes are sold through Villages agents. But pure and simple -- the reason for that IS because they do not and will not cooperate with outside brokers. So yes -- if they cooperated with brokers you would see a flood of outside real estate companies coming in to do business here. and a reduction of Villages only properties as listings and sales.

By the way -- most people do not realize that the world 'Realtor' is always capitalized because it is the registered trademark of the National Association of Realtors.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:34 PM

OK ALL! I started this post and will tell you I was a licensed REALTOR in NY for 2 years AND am familiar with the LIBOR's & NABOR's "CODE OF ETHIC'S". THE VILLAGES SALES PEOPLE ARE NOT "BOUND" by this code of ethics. FACT!!
AND I do know what the contract says as far as fees to terminate....I just wanted to know if anybody else had done this............THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT..

Last edited by MoeVonB61; 04-16-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:12 PM

Unless it was written in your listing agreement I would doubt they can charge you for anything. In a normal Real Estate Listing( MLS) Agreement there is No Charge to cancel, but not sure what you contract has in it. Read the Listing agreement and it should have all the detail as to cancelling.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:59 PM

You can usually cancel an agreement but would not be able to list again until your current contract expires
Old 08-07-2014, 09:35 PM
Veteran member

My experience fwiw -- two years ago we listed our house with an MLS agent and after six weeks, had only a handful of showings and one screwy buyer who held us hostage before ultimately bailing. We then terminated with the MLS agent and re-listed with The Villages. They immediately had numerous showings and we got 3 offers within 2 weeks. Maybe coincidence, maybe not.

Oh, and there were a couple of minor issues in the home inspection -- a chipped window latch and I forget what else. When I balked at having them fixed (because I was so fed up with buyers at that point) our agent paid the $65 for the handyman herself. I would absolutely use the Villages sales office again.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrich61 View Post
We are extremely unhappy with our experience with "The Villages" as a preowned sales Rep and at 2 months our place should have sold the first month. The Villages has made nothing but mistakes in our property's advertising both print and online ads. I was WARNED about the Villages but did not listen. HAS ANYONE EVER CANCELLED A CONTRACT FOR SALE OF THEIR HOUSE WITH THE VILLAGES?????? I was told they charge you for each Open House and our Sales person has had many but still has not sold it! Any input appreciated. Thanks.

An open house is more of a ploy for the agent to gather prospective buyers for other resales rather than a marketing tool for your house. It is also used by prospective sellers to find an agent they may feel comfortable with to hire. Simply put, the open house is an extension of the sales office using the homeowners house as a platform to market other houses and to line up buyers for those other houses.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Sales agents in The Villages do not belong to the local Board of Realtors, do not belong to the National Association of Realtors and do not and cannot be part of the MLS because they do not belonging to the first two associations. They are not bound by the Realtor's Code of Ethics but must adhere to any laws.

Within real estate, the two things which are responsible for the most sales are the MLS system and a 'For Sale' house sign.

Years ago The Villages agents did cooperate with other brokers, but that is a thing of the past. It's very unfortunate that is their wayof doing business because their way, everyone loses, particularly the home owners who are trying to sell their property.
Properties of The Villages sells around 700 homes a month. It seems as if they're doing something right.

Being listed on The Villages website may be better than being listed with MLS.
If someone up north has heard about The Villages and wants to look for a home, they might Google "homes for sale in The Villages FL" and the first site they'll come to is TheVillages.com.

Outside realtors don't have the advantage of the lifestyle visits that The Villages offers.

When I was looking into The Villages I Googled it and came up with TheVillages.com website. I call a number and was told about the lifestyle visit. I signed up for it, was down here a few days later and got hooked up with an agent who showed me about ten homes in one day.

The MLS is a great tool outside of The Villages, but I think that Mr. Morse and company may have found a better system for buying and selling within The Villages.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Sage

When we came to buy our house, we'd initially contacted an outside realty office and set up an app't for viewing several homes we'd spotted online. But we also set up an app't with a Villages agent as well. The outside agent seemed confused while driving (even though he had a gps). He had us on the north side of 466 so it couldn't have been due to the gps not knowing. He just couldn't follow the directions. We did think we wanted app'ts for the 2nd look the following day...BUT our app't with T.V. agent was first. She took us through several neighbors and homes along with a tour of the rec center and adult pool areas. We didn't get that with the outside agent nor did we feel we were a priority. Long story short, we got our new home with T.V. agent AND the process of purchasing went smoothly. I'd stick with T.V. for re-selling, should that ever happen! As others have stated...homes need to be de-personalized (is that a word??), staged and a price should be within the comps of the area.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:59 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,299 Times in 536 Posts

The primary reason a house doesn't sell is price. There are other variables but it must be priced correctly for the current market.

The villages sold two homes for me and neither were on the market more than 3 weeks. They have a huge advantage with all their contacts. Always read your contract carefully whether selling with The Villages or with an MLS Realtor.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:29 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I am not pro-developer nor am I anti-developer because taking such a position only creates obstacles to clear thinking. My interest is to what is happening with people who purchased property here because perhaps there problems/solutions also fit mine. In other words as to the developer I am the housing unit on--------street that sold in -----at$$$$$$ and not a person

As to the realtor issue I view that the same as I do using an investment advisor. I want an advisor who has no ties to the product they are trying to sell me which actually means the advisor has a brokers license.
So I don't want a sales agent who works solely for the developer because a) they don't adhere to a code of ethics b) they may not be trained well c) I wouldn't have confidence in the advise they offered .
Frankly i am surprised that the state/county would allow people to sell homes who are not properly licensed and bonded, especially since even a manicurist has to have a license in this state

I only express an opinion and I do not advance an argument
Old 08-08-2014, 02:11 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,299 Times in 536 Posts

If you want to purchase a new home in TV, you must buy through the Developer's office. Resales you have a choice to use MLS Realtors or the Properties of The Villages. IMHO The Developer has the advantage of the most prospects.

In addition, many of the TV sales force are former Realtors and well trained and very professional. No "pressure" from their sales persons.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Sage

Based on observatioins during the last 4 years living here in my neighborhood, I've never seen a home on the market more than about 3 or 4 weeks. Of course I have no idea what the asking price and selling price differential was but was suprised how soon the homes sold. All these homes sold were thru The Villages and if I was to sell then that's who I would use.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
If you want to purchase a new home in TV, you must buy through the Developer's office. Resales you have a choice to use MLS Realtors or the Properties of The Villages. IMHO The Developer has the advantage of the most prospects.

In addition, many of the TV sales force are former Realtors and well trained and very professional. No "pressure" from their sales persons.
I totally agree. We have looked at several houses with Penny Chamberlain of Villages Real estate. My SO is a real estate investor an could not believe her knowledge, even tried to trip her up. Said he never came across anyone like her, even lawyers. Way over my head!!!
Old 08-09-2014, 07:27 AM
Default Timing!

We moved one year ago from one resale house to another. Bought & sold through The Villages with a smooth transaction within one month. One point that I would like to make is that Resale homes were flying off the market last summer......ads in the paper constantly had "Pending" banners across them. Prices started going up, and the market started to tank in September for Resales, & I don't believe it has recovered. Obviously, price & location are main selling points. A house across the street from me has been on the market for 1 year.....first listed with The Villages, & now with an outside Realtor for the past 3 months.....still not sold! I think that part of the reason you haven't sold your home is the fact that for some reason, the RE market is in decline again, & resales aren't selling as quickly as they were a year ago. If there aren't any buyers, you won't be selling your home anytime soon, so price, location, & condition are the main determining factors in how quickly you will sell your house!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.