Fences

Closed Thread
Old 08-23-2021, 06:07 PM
Platinum member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachine58 View Post
Just moved here and had same dilemma. Most new houses if you can find one have the 3 foot fences or you need to get a patio villa. So we instead bought the house we loved and put in invisible fence. Cost around 2 grand, works fantastic
Patio villas have the small unconnected fence in the front yard mostly for decoration only. CYV have the taller fences.
We have a CYV and our Jack Russell goes out and lays in the sun. I think it makes her bones and joints feel better. Not usually for over 15 minutes. When she get warm she comes back in. NEVER panting.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capgeo View Post
The person that posted putting fear into these people that are considering tv. Very unlikely any critters coming thru the doggie door to worry about
c'mon now, it's very unlike me to spread fear. all i'm saying is up north my neighbor had a door for her 2 beagles & on several occasions found the neighborhood raccoon eating from the cat bowl. no one was bitten or attacked, no one was hurt. i was just making a comment. thanks
Old 08-24-2021, 03:22 AM

There are certain areas that have fences - courtyard villas , verandas, etc. they are prebuilt by the builder and I believe those are the only ones allowed. I have 2 large dogs so I wanted a large backyard. If this is the case with you, search out a corner property. I have close to 1/4 acre. I have a dog door and eventually added a bird cage to my cement patio which also has a dog door. My dogs go in and out at leisure. You will get critters despite the 6ft high fence in your backyard. I have had bunnies and I have had opossums ( both a juvenile and mama) . It cost me $200 to remove the juvenile and mama came the following night and was walking on my wall. I have had hawks sitting on my wall also. My dogs were large ( 60 pounds ) so other than the opossums being aggressive they were fine. I was told someone also saw a bobcat on my front lawn one night right after I moved in 5 years ago. I can hear coyotes in the distance at night. There have been ducks that have gotten lost in the villa area and had to be guided out because the babies couldn’t fly yet. So as you can see, they are still active with wildlife- some predators , some not . My advice- look for a corner courtyard villa ( my home is 2200 sq ft because a added a room and quite large )
Old 08-24-2021, 06:40 AM

I know for certain, in the village of Bradford at least, homes were definitely sold with the option of installing a pre-approved 3’ fence at a later date. So those kinds of homes do exist. Now where to find that info, aside from taking the word of a realtor?…no clue.
Old 08-24-2021, 07:27 AM

Get a villa if u want a fenced yard...otherwise not allowed
Old 08-24-2021, 08:35 AM
Default Fences

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I'm unaware of anyone that installed a fence. The Villages used to highly discourage it. There are veranda homes and courtyard villas that have a pre-installed fence during construction, that's the way to go as I see it. Good luck on your search.
Fences are not "discouraged" they are not permitted in most areas. Look around - if you don't see any, take a hint. I think the courtyard villas are the exception.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

I’d recommend installing an “electric fence”. Once installed, you temporarily put a collar on your dog which gives them a small shock when they come close to the “fence”. During that training period you also put little white flags where the fence has been buried. Your dog will quickly learn not to go over or even come close to the little flags marking your fence. After a few weeks you can remove both the flags and the collar—your dog will be trained.

My son installed electric fences at both his home and summer cottage. He has two VERY active Australian Shepards. They constantly race around chasing each other and now trained, NEVER escape the invisibly fenced yard.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
I’d recommend installing an “electric fence”. Once installed, you temporarily put a collar on your dog which gives them a small shock when they come close to the “fence”. During that training period you also put little white flags where the fence has been buried. Your dog will quickly learn not to go over or even come close to the little flags marking your fence. After a few weeks you can remove both the flags and the collar—your dog will be trained.

My son installed electric fences at both his home and summer cottage. He has two VERY active Australian Shepards. They constantly race around chasing each other and now trained, NEVER escape the invisibly fenced yard.
Is ARC approval required for the invisible fence? Or can it just be installed?
Old 08-24-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It wouldn't be a problem. If you bring more animals than are allowed, you're simply not allowed to replace the extra ones when they die. Some areas allow 2, some 1.
District 13 has no limits on the number of domestic pets. As far as I know, it is the only district that doesn’t limit the number.
Old 08-24-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mayes View Post
District 13 has no limits on the number of domestic pets. As far as I know, it is the only district that doesn’t limit the number.
There is supposedly a limit on pets BUT I have never seen it enforced where I live (both in district 8 and 10). But watch out for the unanimous complainer
Old 08-24-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michread View Post
I suggest you contact a knowledgeable Villages sale rep. - warning not all of them are knowledgeable.

In Bradford, there are some areas and lots that you can install a preapproved fence. When looking at homes with our dog, we were shown the fence that was approved and which homes were allowed to have them installed at a later date.
Interesting, are those the 3 ft (or so) white picket fences I see behind some homes in Bradford? If that's the tallest they can be my two pups would love (jumping over) them.
Old 08-24-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCheatham62@gmail.com View Post
My husband and I are looking to find a home in The Villages in the next 30 days. Where can I find information on whether or not we can have a fence installed in the back yard for our two dogs ?

Thank you,
Janet
Check with The Villages, perhaps the Architectural Review Board. They may have preapproved fences for your area,
The other option is adding a birdcage with concrete and grass areas. I understand that once your birdcage is approved, changes inside the bird cage no longer need ARC approval. You could even put a fence inside the bird cage if needed. That would be much safer for your pets, especially if they are small.
Old 08-24-2021, 11:12 PM

I do not think the villages will allow you to put up a fence for the dogs. Cdc controls most of that kind of thing. , ask a villages real estate person about it. They will get you a answer.
Old 08-25-2021, 03:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1040 View Post
Get a villa if u want a fenced yard...otherwise not allowed
Not all villas have fences. Only courtyard villas. Also, any cottage homes that have a V next to the model has a fence but I haven’t seen any of those in a few months.
Old 08-29-2021, 10:12 AM

The comfort of the lazy and stupid are dependent upon those who bust tail for a living.....Mrk
Closed Thread

Tags
find, fence, installed, back, yard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.