Looking For A Great Property Management Company in The Villages ???

Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2017, 12:33 PM

Do you have any suggestions for a good home watch and/or rental cleaning service? I prefer just a rental cleaning service, I have a neighbor who takes care of the home watch items.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Best property manager is yourself using the various homes for rent sites and a GOOD house watcher who enjoys taking care of renters. A lot less hassle than you'd think -- you negotiate the rental price and dates, your house watcher takes care of repairs, renters' needs, pre- and post-cleaning, etc.
Found this thread while searching for long-term property rental possibilities. Red, if you go by yourself and use a good house watcher, how do you do a background check on prospective renters?
Old 12-22-2017, 12:25 PM
Veteran member

Why would you do a background check on renters? Do you give them your Social Security number so they can do one on you?
Old 12-22-2017, 05:06 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Found this thread while searching for long-term property rental possibilities. Red, if you go by yourself and use a good house watcher, how do you do a background check on prospective renters?
The majority of PMs don’t do background checks even if they charge for them. You’re lucky if they do a credit check. Ask them for a copy of past background checks. Let me know if they produce them.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-22-2017, 05:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
Why would you do a background check on renters? Do you give them your Social Security number so they can do one on you?
You're kidding I hope

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-23-2017, 12:34 AM
Default Credit checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
The majority of PMs don’t do background checks even if they charge for them. You’re lucky if they do a credit check. Ask them for a copy of past background checks. Let me know if they produce them.
I agree. I have had 5 property managers and none did credit or background checks. None of them did anything to earn their money.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:17 AM

From a different perspective...we won't rent through a property management company anymore, we'll only rent through the owners. We find if we deal directly with the owners the places are almost always nicer and most definitely cleaner!
Old 12-23-2017, 08:56 AM
Gold member

EVOLVE will handle all your rentals, payments direct to your bank account and place your home at no charge on ****, HOMEWAY, AIR BNB and several other sites. You can then use a lockbox and a local Homewatch to arrange for cleanings and for emergencies. I use them for my properties on Hilton Head Island and it works out great.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:15 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
EVOLVE will handle all your rentals, payments direct to your bank account and place your home at no charge on ****, HOMEWAY, AIR BNB and several other sites. You can then use a lockbox and a local Homewatch to arrange for cleanings and for emergencies. I use them for my properties on Hilton Head Island and it works out great.
This service charges 10%, per their website. It appears this comes from the owners side of the rent, not as a surcharge.

It is not listed "at no charge", presuming you rent your property at all. Further, I suspect that there is a means to capture the fixed costs that this firm has such as a set up fee. There is no free lunch.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:15 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

Just looked into into Evolve more, no set up fee, 10% management fee and 2.25% credit card fee on all transactions. It might be an option. At 12.25% vs. 17 to 20% for a local firm "hands off" operation.

Maybe it is for you but bottom line it is 12.25%. For that price you are getting marketing. Maybe good marketing but that is mainly what it is.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:26 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Just looked into into Evolve more, no set up fee, 10% management fee and 2.25% credit card fee on all transactions. It might be an option. At 12.25% vs. 17 to 20% for a local firm "hands off" operation.

Maybe it is for you but bottom line it is 12.25%. For that price you are getting marketing. Maybe good marketing but that is mainly what it is.
Yes it is good marketing and results in increased bookings and income. The 10% Fee is fine with me considering the increased number of rentals I Receive being on the various web sites. It is after all the bottom line that counts, not trying to cut costs. In addition to the nationwide marketing, EVOLVE also deals with the renters, collects payment via credit card and rental income is sent directly to my bank account. I have a cleaning company that also handles check ins so basically I do nothing. Local management companies on Hilton Head charge anywhere from 20-35% and do not reach the Nationwide audience EVOLVE does. I get bookings from as far away as Colorado. If you want something for ( almost) nothing, you can always do it yourself and sign up with HOMEAWAY yourself and pay the set up fee of about $400.00 but I tried that and do not want to deal directly with travelers. As noted in this thread, there is no easy way to be in this type of business and if you are going to worry about minor pilferage or damage, you should choose another business.

Last edited by villagerjack; 12-24-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:25 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
This service charges 10%, per their website. It appears this comes from the owners side of the rent, not as a surcharge.

It is not listed "at no charge", presuming you rent your property at all. Further, I suspect that there is a means to capture the fixed costs that this firm has such as a set up fee. There is no free lunch.
No charge to set up on their vast network but there are fees. Agree, no free lunch but that holds true for owners as well, but if you are familiar with fees in this type of business, the 10% Fee is quite reasonable consider the extensive marketing as well as handling all the phone calls and talking to the Travelers, which can be quite interesting.

Added bonus for me is that I can book and block out my Hilton Head Island Condos for friends and family and offer discounts. Many Management companies will not permit you to block out dates offer discounted rates.

This article explains it a little better than I can in this space.

Good luck.

Evolve plans expansion after mastering Airbnb, HomeAway
Old 12-26-2017, 09:41 PM

We bought our villa before we moved to the Villages and had Home Town Property Management (HTPM) rent it for us. They did a great job for us. Whenever there was a problem they called me to tell me but they also had a solution. We had a microwave go out and they handled getting a replacement under warranty. We had an AC problem and they got it fixed. They even took care of problems with Comcast that involved swapping cable boxes. They gave me a heads up when we needed pine straw or the bushes needed trimming. All in all, we had a great experience with HTPM.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
This is a very odd response.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:17 PM
Default rental management companies

to all of you who use them. upon receiving a rental payment please double check the amount, ie. the rental price minus the commision. some have noticed a shortage without any explanation. some receive the dates of renters but not the amount being charged the renters. if you have $$ discrepancies please post for others to see. dont use company names
Closed Thread

Tags
hpm, home, property, told, items

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.