Looking For A Great Property Management Company in The Villages ???

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2018, 02:37 PM
Default Background check

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
Why would you do a background check on renters? Do you give them your Social Security number so they can do one on you?
Why would you let a total stranger occupy your house without doing a background or credit check. I had a property manager who rented our house who did not do any checking, and the renter moved in and didn't pay any rent after the first month. Florida law protects renters. It considers a rental house as their residence and you have to go through a lot of time, money and trouble to evict them. In our case it took 4 months...and a loss of 3 months income, plus the damage they did.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:43 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by need2no View Post
to all of you who use them. upon receiving a rental payment please double check the amount, ie. the rental price minus the commision. some have noticed a shortage without any explanation. some receive the dates of renters but not the amount being charged the renters. if you have $$ discrepancies please post for others to see. dont use company names
Where they get you is the basis from which they pay you. You thought it was based upon rent. It is rent less expenses then less commission. IMO V I R's listing agreement is glaring in the lack of clarity in this area. In some cases the expenses is probably fair. In their case they list with Vacation rentals By Owner and they pay that firm a commission. However, by not being upfront with these unspecified 'expenses' it will probably take some owners by surprise. I am sure some of the other firms do something similar.

Bottom line if there is room to charge you for expenses and there is no clarity on these expenses or how they will be calculated don't be surprised when you are charged for unspecified expenses.

Evolve, which was mentioned a few post back, pays the owner based upon the rent less commission. They also charge the renter a fee which the owner does not receive a percentage of. It is a little more upfront but it is a backdoor charge which the renter pays, which you are not getting any proceeds from.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecrenshaw View Post
Why would you let a total stranger occupy your house without doing a background or credit check. I had a property manager who rented our house who did not do any checking, and the renter moved in and didn't pay any rent after the first month. Florida law protects renters. It considers a rental house as their residence and you have to go through a lot of time, money and trouble to evict them. In our case it took 4 months...and a loss of 3 months income, plus the damage they did.
Thank you.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:12 AM

Sorry you had to go through that.It's sad that companies do not do what they say they will.
once you signed the contract they have you.((
Old 01-19-2018, 10:05 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,243 Times in 359 Posts

I started out with the same company as many that charges 20% and was not satisfied. Primarily because they did not get my home rented except for the 3 "hot" months- and then only when I became actively involved and complained. Communication issues were also a problem. I never knew what the status of my property was unless I called and asked.

I switched to ReMax and have been happy. They charge 15% and have doubled the occupancy rate. I recommend them.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 03-20-2018, 08:07 AM

beware of the 15%. only received a check without any breakdown of account activity. only upon request i was able to observe errors, not once, but on every rental. every error was in the companies favor. new meaning of the word ,,,mistake,,,!
Old 03-20-2018, 08:37 AM

We use Corky Eck and SellState Property Management. We are very happy so far. We live in Tennessee and rent our home out in Fenney until we retire. PM me for contact info if interested.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:22 PM

I’m new at managing a rental in the villages and am looking for advice on a rental agreement content.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:06 PM
Veteran member

I am not a big fan of rentals in TV. I came here to live in a stable community, not one with a transient population. I know there are snow birds, but they will come back and be the neighbors I know. You people who buy property to rent out....well you get what you deserve. There was a two bedroom villa near my villa that was rented. I found out that 12 people were staying in the villa. It was like a zoo. Our complex finally took action against the landlord and the tenants. Sorry, I like to know who my neighbors are.Just my opinion.

"I never made a mistake in my life, I thought I did once, but I was wrong", Charles Schultz
Closed Thread

Tags
hpm, home, property, told, items

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.