$8.00 full course Italian Dinner. American Legion

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2018, 07:19 PM

As a long time member of the American Legion, you reminded me that I needed to get off my _ _ _ and renew my membership. I did that today. First time since moving to Florida as well. Glad to be here and very glad to be an American! I don't understand some of the responses you got here. Perhaps they don't know that our veteran's are helped in many many ways by the Legion. The Legion fights for the rights of our veteran's in every state of the Union as well as Washington. They have "socials" to assist our veteran's with expenses, homelessness as well as many other needs. They care about the rights and freedoms that we all share because of those that stood and fought for our freedom. They are there for Veteran's holidays as well as every day of the year. They are the one's that NEVER stop believing in what the founding fathers gave to us. They NEVER FORGET. They also never forget the huge sacrafices for those that never returned from battle and those that have. And they are also there to bury a veteran with the honor and dignity that he or she deserves. Yes, I renewed my membership today and glad to do it! Thank you Stinger 2.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:53 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I never looked in to the VFW, I just thought all veterans could join. I just went to their website and it said you must meet the requirements below. I guess WWII and Korean War are a given, but the era that most of us in TV find ourselves in, would mean you have to have served in Vietnam or Korea or your out of luck. I never knew that, I do have 13 months in Korea from 70 to 71, so I'll keep that in mind.

Eligibility

There are three qualifiers for membership in the VFW, as set out in our By-Laws. An individual must meet all three in order to become a member. They are as follows:

1: Citizenship – must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. National.

2: Honorable Service – must have served in the Armed Forces of the United States and either received a discharge of Honorable or General (Under Honorable Conditions) or be currently serving.

3: Service in a war, campaign, or expedition on foreign soil or in hostile waters*. This can be proven by any of the following:

- An authorized campaign medal (see a full list of qualifying medals and badges)
- Receipt of Hostile Fire Pay or Imminent Danger Pay (verified by a military pay statement)
- Service in Korea for 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days
I never joined the legion but every so often I get a letter with the opportunity to join. If the above are correct I meet the first two requirements but I was stationed in Germany from 1960 to 1963 and although the state of NJ who I worked for gave me a veteran benefit because I served overseas during the Vietnam war period.

Because of the above even if I wanted to join the legion I wouldn't be eligible for membership.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 02-21-2018, 09:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Quote:
I never looked in to the VFW, I just thought all veterans could join. I just went to their website and it said you must meet the requirements below. I guess WWII and Korean War are a given, but the era that most of us in TV find ourselves in, would mean you have to have served in Vietnam or Korea or your out of luck. I never knew that, I do have 13 months in Korea from 70 to 71, so I'll keep that in mind.

Eligibility

There are three qualifiers for membership in the VFW, as set out in our By-Laws. An individual must meet all three in order to become a member. They are as follows:

1: Citizenship – must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. National.

2: Honorable Service – must have served in the Armed Forces of the United States and either received a discharge of Honorable or General (Under Honorable Conditions) or be currently serving.

3: Service in a war, campaign, or expedition on foreign soil or in hostile waters*. This can be proven by any of the following:

- An authorized campaign medal (see a full list of qualifying medals and badges)
- Receipt of Hostile Fire Pay or Imminent Danger Pay (verified by a military pay statement)
- Service in Korea for 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days
The VFW and American Legion are two different organizations. The American Legion's requirements are here.. Membership Application

Eligibility Information:

If you have served federal active duty in the United States Armed Forces during any of the war eras listed below, and have been honorably discharged or are still serving -- you are eligible for membership in The American Legion!

*August 2, 1990 to today
(Persian Gulf/ War on Terrorism)

December 20, 1989 to January 31, 1990
(Operation Just Cause - Panama)

August 24, 1982 to July 31, 1984
(Lebanon/Grenada)

February 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975
(Vietnam)

June 25, 1950 to January 31, 1955
(Korea)

December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946
(World War II)

April 6, 1917 to November 11, 1918
(World War I)

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 02-21-2018, 09:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
The VFW and American Legion are two different organizations. The American Legion's requirements are here.. Membership Application

Eligibility Information:

If you have served federal active duty in the United States Armed Forces during any of the war eras listed below, and have been honorably discharged or are still serving -- you are eligible for membership in The American Legion!

Don't forget the U.S. Merchant Mariners.

U.S. Merchant Marine eligible only from December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946 (WWII).
Old 02-22-2018, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
I'm glad you posted this information, I didn't know they were two different groups. The big building at the corner of 466 and Rolling Acres Rd. is that the VFW? If so, where is American Legion located in TV area? It's the American Legion that puts on this dinner, not the VFW?
Old 02-22-2018, 10:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
I'm glad you posted this information, I didn't know they were two different groups. The big building at the corner of 466 and Rolling Acres Rd. is that the VFW? If so, where is American Legion located in TV area? It's the American Legion that puts on this dinner, not the VFW?
I don't live in The Villages yet so not sure if it's the building you're referring to.

Here is the website for the American Legion in/near The Villages.. http://www.florida-legion.com/

Old 02-22-2018, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
I don't live in The Villages yet so not sure if it's the building you're referring to.

Here is the website for the American Legion in/near The Villages.. http://www.florida-legion.com/
According to that website, the building on 466 and Rolling Acres Rd is American Legion Post 347.

American Legion Post 347

"The Largest Post in the World"

The Villages Florida

However, in the first paragraph on their homepage they write "VFW Post 347 is proud to assist The Villages/Lady Lake in their Relay for Life on April 14, at the Polo Grounds..." So am I to assume both the American Legion and VFW are both in that building and both are posts 347?
Old 02-22-2018, 04:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
According to that website, the building on 466 and Rolling Acres Rd is American Legion Post 347.

American Legion Post 347

"The Largest Post in the World"

The Villages Florida

However, in the first paragraph on their homepage they write "VFW Post 347 is proud to assist The Villages/Lady Lake in their Relay for Life on April 14, at the Polo Grounds..." So am I to assume both the American Legion and VFW are both in that building and both are posts 347?
Hmm.. I wonder if that's a typo.. On the VFW site there's no mention of that post.. http://vfwfl.org/uploads/Documents/D%2022.pdf

Old 02-22-2018, 04:32 PM
Veteran member

I considered going their one time and decided to check it out. When I opened the door the stench of tobacco nearly knocked me over.

I asked the person who happened to be there about the tobacco smell ...His reply: Shrugged his shoulders and said hey if we didn't allow smoking the place would be practically empty.

With that I replied that's to bad ...decision made we didn't go and never went back. Shame
Old 02-22-2018, 06:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
I considered going their one time and decided to check it out. When I opened the door the stench of tobacco nearly knocked me over.

I asked the person who happened to be there about the tobacco smell ...His reply: Shrugged his shoulders and said hey if we didn't allow smoking the place would be practically empty.

With that I replied that's to bad ...decision made we didn't go and never went back. Shame
Don’t know what American Legion you are referring to. The post in Lady Lake (The Villages) is non-smoking. Has been for at least the 3 years I have been here.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:42 PM
Default No smoking in the interior of the Legiin

Smoking is limited to an Outdoor patio
Old 02-25-2018, 08:47 AM
Default You have the wrong building

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post

The post on Rolling Acreas is non-smoking inside and has been for the 6 yrs i’ve Been going there. The is a screened off area for smoking and the smell never comes into the post.
Closed Thread

Tags
italian, dinner, $8.00, entree, legion

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.