Adios Farmshed

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2022, 08:41 AM
Default Chinese Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Had dinner tonight at Farmshed in Spanish Springs - was told by waiter that tonight is their final night - restaurant is closing, to be replaced by a steak house.
Has anyone else noticed there isn't a Chinese restaurant at either of the three town squares. There is one Japanese restaurant at Lake Sumter Landing, which appears to be well patronized.

Perhaps a little diversity in dining at Spanish Springs is in order.
Old 08-29-2022, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardc1947 View Post
Seems to me that part of the problem may be the lack of activity in the Spanish Springs square.
You’ve got something there, having long time events that were once held in SS getting moved to Brownwood has significantly reduced traffic flow. There used to be a weekly farmers market, large annual crafts fair, BBQ event, seasonal festivities, etc…. Also, SS used to have a nightly happy two hours from 5 - 7. Take stuff away and the result is less traffic flow for the businesses. The only logical conclusion is that the maximum traffic flow is being channeled closer to where new homes are being rapidly built : (
Old 08-29-2022, 08:46 AM
Gold member

Way too expensive for most people. Over charging in The Villages is the fastest way to go out of business.
Old 08-29-2022, 08:53 AM

This discussion sounds like the same discussion they have regarding Sawgrass every few days.
Prices are expensive everywhere these days.. And especially inside the bubble. And yes we all know about supply shortages and we all know about lack of employees demanding more money. I would honestly really like to know how much profit there is to be made on a $19 burger and fries is it truly a necessity to stay in business or is it just taking advantage of the times and the customer? But I’ve heard this conversation many times over many different restaurants especially in the south where things are newer and more expensive.
Old 08-29-2022, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
Way too expensive for most people. Over charging in The Villages is the fastest way to go out of business.
If that’s the case, then Sawgrass is doomed from the get go.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

I was surprised when they decided to place it is SS and not Brownwood. Seems to me that a Brownwood location would be more likely to be supported by a higher priced place.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:34 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,940 Times in 742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChipster View Post
Welcome to $15.00 minimum “living wage” - thanks progressive thoughts (demands).
Federal Minimum wage is still $7.25 hourly. Currently Fl minimum is $11 on 9/30/22 increases to $12.
Currently I’m out of state in a state with $15 minimum wage prices in Grocery stores, Restaurants are less expensive and restaurant portions are larger than served throughout Villages sad issue is alcohol is more expensive.
A 8oz Hamburger/cheese fries and beverage (soda, ice tea) $14 in upscale establishments.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChipster View Post
Welcome to $15.00 minimum “living wage” - thanks progressive thoughts (demands).
Minimum wage in Florida goes to $11.00 September 30, 2022 and $1 every year after that until the minimum of $15.00 is reached in 2026
Old 08-29-2022, 09:45 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,940 Times in 742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparsoneau@aol.com View Post
This discussion sounds like the same discussion they have regarding Sawgrass every few days.
Prices are expensive everywhere these days.. And especially inside the bubble. And yes we all know about supply shortages and we all know about lack of employees demanding more money. I would honestly really like to know how much profit there is to be made on a $19 burger and fries is it truly a necessity to stay in business or is it just taking advantage of the times and the customer? But I’ve heard this conversation many times over many different restaurants especially in the south where things are newer and more expensive.
Very good question you’ll be surprised between 200% to 500% markup. Of course buying supplies from food distributor similar to SYSCO or Cheney Bros is way less expensive than Publix, Walmart or WD prices.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:56 AM

Went there once. Was not impressed. Person at table with us ordered pork chops that looked very greasy. She claimed how delicious they were. It's a matter of taste. In 20 years of eating in and around The Villages my best experiences were at Cane Garden. Haven't been out to eat for quite a while since husband's illness keeps us home. Hope Cane Garden has not deteriorated over the last few years.
Old 08-29-2022, 10:02 AM
Veteran member

I had the very best burger of my life there when it first opened. I wish I had the chance to go back for another but it sounds like it’s too late. They were pricey but my burger was worth it. I must admit that I’m not surprised to hear that they are closing, but I’m also a bit sad.
Old 08-29-2022, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardc1947 View Post
Seems to me that part of the problem may be the lack of activity in the Spanish Springs square. We don’t visit there very often since we live much further south nearer Brownwood and Lake Sumter. But I had occasion to go to SS last week to pick up some medical supplies about 10:30 am. I cruised the square and only saw one person seated at a bar at Americanos. No pedestrians, no coffee drinkers in front of Dunkin, and no shoppers walking the sidewalks. If you go to the other squares at that time of day, there will be a lot of activity. Maybe the aging population of that area has fewer residents getting out as much. I know as we grow older, we don’t go out as frequently as we did 12 years ago when we first moved here. Perhaps the proposed apartments in SS will attract a younger demographics and help keep some of the businesses open….. just saying….
i think you make a very good point
Old 08-29-2022, 10:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgolfer View Post
Has anyone else noticed there isn't a Chinese restaurant at either of the three town squares. There is one Japanese restaurant at Lake Sumter Landing, which appears to be well patronized.

Perhaps a little diversity in dining at Spanish Springs is in order.
there is no decent chinese anywhere in the villages, believe me, i've looked. i'm an 'upnorth', where chinese is made to perfection, with a flavor like no other, & have yet to come across it here
Old 08-29-2022, 10:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
If that’s the case, then Sawgrass is doomed from the get go.
i visited the 1st time a few days ago, & can only say,...it's under construction,- very few choices available @ this time. hopefully it will turn into what the developer's had told us it would be, thriving & exciting
Old 08-29-2022, 10:24 AM

Bet you dollars-to-donuts that few (IF ANY) food establishments are paying the $15 "living wage" that some are ranting about

Tags
tonight, farmshed, adios, steak, replaced

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.