are all the restaurants chains?

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2021, 06:36 AM
Veteran member
Default are all the restaurants chains?

Hi, I'm moving to The Villages and am wondering if there are any really good restaurants there or only chains? What are the best and favorites. It seems like places don't last long there which is interesting to me.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,307 Times in 2,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
Hi, I'm moving to The Villages and am wondering if there are any really good restaurants there or only chains? What are the best and favorites. It seems like places don't last long there which is interesting to me.
What do you consider a chain? If four country club restaurants are owned by one company is that a chain? If a restaurant has three locations is that a chain?

I would consider none of the country clubs to be chains. Some of the restaurants at the squares are chains (5-guys in Brownwood) but most are not.

Our favorites are Havana, World of Beer (with 25+ locations, actually is a chain), and we've recently tried and liked Fiesta Grande. Others that have recently opened that are getting good reviews but we haven't had a chance to try them yet.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-11-2021, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I am sad to say that in my opinion, many restaurants here have gone down in a lot of areas in the past ten years. When the developer was in charge of places like Cane Garden and the Lighthouse, they were MUCH better. Lots of reasons, people do not want to pay a lot to eat out and that means some unskilled help. Also the dependence of many on pre-made components to meals is not always good.

The restaurant business historically has never been a huge success. See here;

Restaurant Profitability and Failure Rates: What You Need to Know | FSR magazine

People like food they recognize – that’s why chain restaurants are successful! It’s All About Trust. People trust chain restaurants. Being familiar with a menu, and seeing a familiar logo creates the trust and loyalty needed for a successful business. A lot of chain dining establishments are well conscious of this reality.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-11-2021 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

I think there is a good mixture. All the fast food chains are here and a few sit down chains like Applebee’s and IHOP etc. it a owner has multiple restaurants, the are generally different menus and food type. Then there are a good number of stand alone type restaurants that you only find in the Villages. To try them all it will take awhile and yes, by the time you get through them all some might have closed and something new is in its place.

Then of course you can leave the reservation and find a whole new selection of restaurants.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:05 PM

In my opinion The Villages SUCKS when it comes to interesting / alternative restaurant choices, but fine if you're into fast food and corporate chain restaurants.

I'm sure a few people will chime in claiming that so & so restaurant is great, that's fine, but the truth of the matter is that the selection is super-small. There are very few ethnic restaurants, few small "Mom & Pop" type restaurants, very few independent restaurants, etc..

What's worse is that all the different "Villages" pretty much have all the same stores & restaurants. I'm guessing this is largely due to very high rent. If you're into ethnic (especially Asian) restaurants, you'll have to drive to Orlando-area to get a decent selection.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

I eat at the best restaurant in the area every night! At home.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:00 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,568 Times in 923 Posts

We eat out often. Restaurants are good. If you want GREAT cuisine, look in Miami.
There are a few chains, but most restaurants are owned/operated by local restaurant groups (one group might operate 5 to 10 restaurants.
You also will find two different visits to the same place will offer two very different experiences (i.e. great one time and terrible the next).
There are some that are consistently good.
Most of the country clubs are okay. I’ve had many good experiences at Palmer, I would put that at the top of my list (I don't eat out in the northern end, so didn't put Lopez, etc on my list).
Old 05-11-2021, 03:35 PM
Veteran member

I believe all the restaurants within TV borders are chains, or owned by investors, except, maybe Roberto's and maybe Chinese. There are some privately owned restaurants outside of TV's borders. I believe Sammy's is family owned and have yet to try them, but anxious to do so. Miz Kathi's Cotillion Southern Cafe is also chef owned. I am sure there are more privately owned (by privately owned, I mean the chef works at creating the meals.) all outside of TV land borders.

Last edited by Ben Franklin; 05-11-2021 at 03:38 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 05-11-2021, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

This may be helpful:
The Villages Gourmet Club Restaurant Review Site
Old 05-11-2021, 08:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Here is a list of restaurants I put together. Judge for yourself.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Restaurants in TV.pdf (200.5 KB, 224 views)
Old 05-11-2021, 10:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyD View Post
In my opinion The Villages SUCKS when it comes to interesting / alternative restaurant choices, but fine if you're into fast food and corporate chain restaurants.

I'm sure a few people will chime in claiming that so & so restaurant is great, that's fine, but the truth of the matter is that the selection is super-small. There are very few ethnic restaurants, few small "Mom & Pop" type restaurants, very few independent restaurants, etc..

What's worse is that all the different "Villages" pretty much have all the same stores & restaurants. I'm guessing this is largely due to very high rent. If you're into ethnic (especially Asian) restaurants, you'll have to drive to Orlando-area to get a decent selection.
To a point I agree. Have not found anything that compares to restaurants in New England. In The Villages the pizza is just ok, the Chinese we have not had because we were told it is terrible, steak tips are not available anywhere, and other food just does not compare either. It is edible but not much more.
Closed Thread

Tags
restaurants, chains, places, long, interesting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.