For all you restaurant complainers

Closed Thread
Old 11-14-2022, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,681 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Study: 49% of small restaurant businesses couldn’t pay October rent | Nation's Restaurant News

And before you think that because the restaurants you go to are full, that doesn't mean that there is enough gross profit after the increases in COGS (cost of goods sold) and labor increases to pay ALL the rent.

So yes, its a tough industry right now, and there will be times when there is crappy meals and crappy service based on the price of the meal.

Will the landlord throw them out? doubtful, as 1/2 rent is better than no rent, and with 1/2 the restaurants in the same position. . . . but then again, there are greedy SOBs landlords out there.
It has ALWAYS been a tough industry. The numbers are all over the board, but in clicking around the numbers that appears most often are that 60% of restaurants fail in their first year and 80% within five years, the #1 cause of failure being lack of experience in the business.

Thank goodness we have the ability to vote with our feet, so to speak. I am unforgiving of poor service and/or poor food quality no matter where I encounter it, all the more so in these days of rising prices. I tip 10% no matter what, 15% for average service. For really excellent service and food I’ll tip as high as 30%, especially if we are frequent patrons of such a place, which drives my wife up the wall but there is a definite advantage to being known as a good tipper. It guarantees good service the next time out. Example: Americanos in Spanish Springs. We eat there frequently; good food, really competitive prices and excellent service. We’re on a first-name basis with a couple of the waitstaff and we always get good service there.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:36 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,314 Times in 383 Posts

You had my attention until you mentioned that you consider Amerikanos the place you can act like the Frank Sinatra of The Villages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
It has ALWAYS been a tough industry. The numbers are all over the board, but in clicking around the numbers that appears most often are that 60% of restaurants fail in their first year and 80% within five years, the #1 cause of failure being lack of experience in the business.

Thank goodness we have the ability to vote with our feet, so to speak. I am unforgiving of poor service and/or poor food quality no matter where I encounter it, all the more so in these days of rising prices. I tip 10% no matter what, 15% for average service. For really excellent service and food I’ll tip as high as 30%, especially if we are frequent patrons of such a place, which drives my wife up the wall but there is a definite advantage to being known as a good tipper. It guarantees good service the next time out. Example: Americanos in Spanish Springs. We eat there frequently; good food, really competitive prices and excellent service. We’re on a first-name basis with a couple of the waitstaff and we always get good service there.
Old 11-14-2022, 08:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,664 Times in 1,502 Posts

To the best of my knowledge, NO ONE has the job or is responsible for making sure restaurants, or any other business is successful by spending our money there if we don't want to. We should patronize places we like and spend what what we feel is reasonable. It is not our responsibility to tip outrageously to put a waiters kid through college or to fill the pay gap the business owner won't pay so they can keep a larger portion for themselves. If a business fails, it is sad, but it is not my fault or yours. No need to feel guilty.
Old 11-15-2022, 05:33 AM
Default I believe the OP is sayin' in a nutshell..

Quote:
Study: 49% of small restaurant businesses couldn’t pay October rent | Nation's Restaurant News

And before you think that because the restaurants you go to are full, that doesn't mean that there is enough gross profit after the increases in COGS (cost of goods sold) and labor increases to pay ALL the rent.

So yes, its a tough industry right now, and there will be times when there is crappy meals and crappy service based on the price of the meal.

Will the landlord throw them out? doubtful, as 1/2 rent is better than no rent, and with 1/2 the restaurants in the same position. . . . but then again, there are greedy SOBs landlords out there.
To all the winey Villagers who grab any chance to jump on here and spread the news far and wide when their sandwich was crumpled or an eye roll has occured from staff, that the entire restaurant should be shuned and cancelled. Then they are the first to complain there is no variety or "good" places to go.. In my 3+ years here I've seen and heard it all...With all the things happening in our world they still feel the need to get up and relive their experience to all like we are waiting with baited breath daily to hear. Now I insert my eye roll...

Last edited by Cobullymom; 11-15-2022 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-15-2022, 07:10 AM

Quote:

It all depends on how much you like dining out. It’s a personal choice, and we like it a lot, so will put up with the occasional indifferent service or a not so great meal. A close friend of mine recently said “We don’t do that (dining out).” She cooks at home and prefers that. To each, their own.

Reflecting the costs of doing business, prices at restaurants in TV, and many other places, have gone up. I looked over Thanksgiving Day menus at various restaurants that were posted on their websites. For a Turkey dinner with the usual sides, the going rate was $30-$33 per person. And that was lower than the price of steaks on their regular menus ($40 and up).
Old 11-15-2022, 08:08 AM

Haven’t gone to fast food since my retrievers passed…. They loved the value menus….
Old 11-15-2022, 08:20 AM
Sage

Food prices ARE going up. Was at the grocery store yesterday and one lb. of butter was $8.00. Have you priced steak, roasts etc lately?? The restaurant industry is being impacted too.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:

Greedy landlords who need the rent to pay their mortgage, taxes, insurance, maintenance?
They are in business - why should they subsidize the restaurant? Is a landlord supposed to take a hit for a business that isn't doing well whether it's a restaurant or any other business?
Old 11-15-2022, 08:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr View Post
Should you decide to sell your house, please do not gouge the buyer.
BRAVO!!! Apples to oranges comparison, with a side of deflection thrown in.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:41 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Doordash. Same food, better dining experience at home
Old 11-15-2022, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,684 Times in 5,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsyburnsy View Post
You’ll pay more at the grocery stores but won’t accept paying more at restaurants. Yet, big corporations have increased their profit by nearly 40-50%. Let’s just ignore that. Price gouging proposals were made but voted down. Let’s ignore that too.
I really don't see how price gouging is an issue with food. The consumer has so many choices about where to eat and what to eat, and there is competition everywhere. You can even go to a soup kitchen for free, if you want. How do you get price gouged on food?
Old 11-15-2022, 08:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,961 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Food prices ARE going up. Was at the grocery store yesterday and one lb. of butter was $8.00. Have you priced steak, roasts etc lately?? The restaurant industry is being impacted too.
Oh come on I even know that’s false, BUTTER Publix $4.41, Aldi $3.29
Old 11-15-2022, 09:03 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,961 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele201 View Post
It all depends on how much you like dining out. It’s a personal choice, and we like it a lot, so will put up with the occasional indifferent service or a not so great meal. A close friend of mine recently said “We don’t do that (dining out).” She cooks at home and prefers that. To each, their own.

Reflecting the costs of doing business, prices at restaurants in TV, and many other places, have gone up. I looked over Thanksgiving Day menus at various restaurants that were posted on their websites. For a Turkey dinner with the usual sides, the going rate was $30-$33 per person. And that was lower than the price of steaks on their regular menus ($40 and up).
I got my free Turkey at BJ’s sales promotion. I don’t believe in welfare and refuse to support overpriced gouging restaurants. Planning a Thanksgiving meal for 6, salad to desert is not over $100 plus the wonderful leftover Turkey Sandwich’s
Old 11-15-2022, 09:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
$18 for two number 6's at Mcdonalds is pretty ridiculous. Don't tell me that aren't making money!
You’re obviously not aware of they app where you can get some great deals .

Just last week I had a double cheeseburger, fries , drink and 4 McNuggets special through the app for $4.99 plus tax. $5.35 total….

They have a bunch of other deals that may suit your liking…
Old 11-15-2022, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

The business model of some restaurants here, contributes to high turnover. I posted somewhere else in ToTV about this. If you enjoy the food, and want the place to succeed, and want the employees to be glad to work there and express that via excellent customer service, then tip them separately with cash. You don't have to overtip them. You can still do the ACTUAL standard (not the artificially inflated standard created by egotistical men who think flaunting their wealth gets dates)...

15% = did their job correctly, gave the minimal expected customer service. Passed the buck immediately to management on any/all challenges.
18% = did their job well, and gave an attentive, positive experience to their customers. Attempted to handle challenges politely and professionally - escalated only if the customer was still dissatisfied.
20% = was outstanding in every way, especially if they overcame challenges in a positive manner without needing to involve management.

If they were anything less than 15% then tip nothing, and tell the manager why.

But tip in CASH. Reason:

Many of these places require that employees pool their tips. If you pay by credit card, they never see the tip until their paycheck 1-2 weeks later. And they don't get to do the tallying themselves. They get whatever the manager tells them they got, there's no accountability. The AVERAGE pay for wait staff is $10 per hour INCLUDING tips - because Florida law allows the restaurant owner to pay LESS than minimum wage, and then add the tips on top of it. As long as that total comes to $10 or more, the restaurant owner can just pay the minimum. If it is under $10 they have to add to it until it becomes $10.

Imagine your ACTUAL earnings in tips was $100 for one shift, and you worked 5 hours. You earned $20/hour on top of your minimum wage. YOU earned that money. But the restaurant owner takes the $100 and splits it between all employees. The only people who the owner can pay less than minimum, are the ones who are expected to earn the tips. The bus boys, cooks, hostess - they all earn minimum wage because they don't receive tips from customers.

But the manager will split YOUR $100 among all those other people. If you're lucky you'll get $20 of that $100 that you earned.

If you pay the wait staff directly, in cash, they can pocket the whole thing. They earned it, it's theirs. That makes for happier wait staff who are sincerely glad that YOU (as opposed to anyone else) came in. YOU will be treated better next time. It's more likely the turn-around in the place will be less, the standard of care they provide to their customers will be higher, their overall satisfaction with the job will be higher, and the restaurant will prosper more.
Closed Thread

Tags
rent, increases, 1/2, restaurants, crappy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.