Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadeofdave View Post
Bravo - 2 medium pizzas to go yesterday -$53 yikes
How many topings? and including tax? Could be about right
Old 11-15-2022, 09:38 AM
Gold member
Default Tip on Take Out

I would start a new thread, if I knew how to. Question is tipping on take out. During covid when many restaurants were take out only, I tipped on orders I picked up the same as I would if eating at the location. Servers were hit hard and I'm doing ok. Now that it is over, tipping on take out seems to have become a standard thing. Picking up a pizza ($35.00 for a pizza, what is happening), getting Chinese take out. When you go to pay many now ask how much to tip. Some give suggestions from 15%, 20%, 22%. I generally will give 10%, but do not fully understand what that is for. When dining in the tip is for service during the meal, interaction, bussing etc.. Do people tip on take out, and if so how much?
Old 11-15-2022, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
I would start a new thread, if I knew how to. Question is tipping on take out. During covid when many restaurants were take out only, I tipped on orders I picked up the same as I would if eating at the location. Servers were hit hard and I'm doing ok. Now that it is over, tipping on take out seems to have become a standard thing. Picking up a pizza ($35.00 for a pizza, what is happening), getting Chinese take out. When you go to pay many now ask how much to tip. Some give suggestions from 15%, 20%, 22%. I generally will give 10%, but do not fully understand what that is for. When dining in the tip is for service during the meal, interaction, bussing etc.. Do people tip on take out, and if so how much?
If they bring the order to me at the curb, I give them a buck or two.
If I have to go in (or to a drive-thru) and they just pass it to me over the counter or through the window, they get no tip.

Restaurant owners don't have to pay tipped employees the usual minimum wage. That would be bartenders and waitstaff. Everyone else gets minimum wage.

It's a minimum wage job. Non-waitstaff and non-bartenders don't rely on tips for their pay to equal $11/hour. Only waitstaff and bartenders do. So they're the only ones that get my tips.

The take-out person who hands you a bag is getting minimum wage (or better). Toss'em a buck if it makes you feel better, but don't add a tip to the credit card charge - or you might end up discovering that the waiter inside the place who you never even saw, who waited on other customers but not you - got a share of that tip.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,029 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
But tip in CASH. Reason:

Many of these places require that employees pool their tips. If you pay by credit card, they never see the tip until their paycheck 1-2 weeks later. And they don't get to do the tallying themselves. They get whatever the manager tells them they got, there's no accountability. The AVERAGE pay for wait staff is $10 per hour INCLUDING tips - because Florida law allows the restaurant owner to pay LESS than minimum wage, and then add the tips on top of it. As long as that total comes to $10 or more, the restaurant owner can just pay the minimum. If it is under $10 they have to add to it until it becomes $10.

Imagine your ACTUAL earnings in tips was $100 for one shift, and you worked 5 hours. You earned $20/hour on top of your minimum wage. YOU earned that money. But the restaurant owner takes the $100 and splits it between all employees. The only people who the owner can pay less than minimum, are the ones who are expected to earn the tips. The bus boys, cooks, hostess - they all earn minimum wage because they don't receive tips from customers.

But the manager will split YOUR $100 among all those other people. If you're lucky you'll get $20 of that $100 that you earned.

If you pay the wait staff directly, in cash, they can pocket the whole thing. They earned it, it's theirs. That makes for happier wait staff who are sincerely glad that YOU (as opposed to anyone else) came in. YOU will be treated better next time. It's more likely the turn-around in the place will be less, the standard of care they provide to their customers will be higher, their overall satisfaction with the job will be higher, and the restaurant will prosper more.
You've obviously never been in the restaurant business.

Waitstaff holding out "cash tips" in a "split tips" business model (which most are) are grounds for immediate firing ... as it should be.

Bus boys, hostesses & bartenders are typically "tipped out" by other serving staff, as they contribute to easing the servers' work load.

Any restaurant that doesn't play fairly with "credit card tips", isn't going to be in business very long. The tip is clear on the CC receipt and state and federal regulators are all over this issue. It would pretty difficult to get away that for very long.

& why should anyone get paid in cash? So they can cheat on their taxes?
Old 11-15-2022, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,585 Times in 1,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post

Waitstaff holding out "cash tips" in a "split tips" business model (which most are) are grounds for immediate firing ... as it should be.

Bus boys, hostesses & bartenders are typically "tipped out" by other serving staff, as they contribute to easing the servers' work load.

Any restaurant that doesn't play fairly with "credit card tips", isn't going to be in business very long. The tip is clear on the CC receipt and state and federal regulators are all over this issue. It would pretty difficult to get away that for very long.

Even if pooling tips is the practice at a restaurant, I still tip in cash even if I pay the bill with a credit card. The waitperson sees the tip and knows that it is because he/she did a good job. Conversely, a smaller-than-normal tip gets the opposite message across. A line on a credit card payment slip…not so much.

Back in the day, I would tip using $2 bills or in dollar coins. In some Asian restaurants, Chinese especially, a $2 bill is considered good luck. A $6 tip in the form of three $2 bills got remembered a whole lot more than, say, six $1’s. It is good to be remembered in a positive light when returning to a restaurant. It guarantees good service.
Old 11-15-2022, 01:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I think the OP point is that 1) accept high prices, regardless of high they go, and stop your sniveling 2) accept poor service (but still tip 20% plus) 3) Landlords that expect their tenants to pay their full rent as promised are heartless, and they should suffer any financial hardship instead of their tenants.
This appears to be "the sign of the times". Restaurants are one data point on a whole spectrum that makes up the overall economy. That is, wholesale supply costs AND retail prices and company profits are in a less stable FLUX than several years ago. That dangerous word........INFLATION has taken over the US and world economies. The FED has some tools to tame inflation and return a RUNNING AWAY system back to normal growth. But it is tricky in that, do they slam on the brakes or do they just tap the brakes through interest rate hikes?

If the FED gets its difficult mandate wrong, then more restaurants will go under. And the restaurant industry could be the "tip of the iceberg" and more and more businesses could be closing.

The "sign of the times" could be........CLOSING.
Old 11-15-2022, 02:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Food prices ARE going up. Was at the grocery store yesterday and one lb. of butter was $8.00. Have you priced steak, roasts etc lately?? The restaurant industry is being impacted too.
The general term for ALL those price increases is INFLATION. It had a year-over-year rate of 9.1 % this June. Which is the largest in 40years. In general, older people on fixed incomes are the MOST adversely affected by inflation. That's why it is affecting everyone and especially in The Villages.
Old 11-15-2022, 02:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I really don't see how price gouging is an issue with food. The consumer has so many choices about where to eat and what to eat, and there is competition everywhere. You can even go to a soup kitchen for free, if you want. How do you get price gouged on food?
Rapid inflation is a destabilizing situation. It affects the group psychic of people. Rapid change of any kind is hard to deal with. "Price gouging" in restaurant prices or any other industry's prices may or may not be gouging. Some businesses may take advantage of the inflation situation to get excessive profits. It is harder to prove in a chaotic situation like rapid inflation. Also sometimes businesses in one local area might engage in collusion. Also, in industries with small numbers.
Old 11-15-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbad1 View Post
And your point is?
His point is, in these troubling times, restaurants should not be forced to pay rent.

The same goes for other business and residents, why not?
Old 11-15-2022, 08:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
What is a number 6 at that store? A $5.50 sandwich, $2.00 drink, and $1.50 fries doesn't sound unreasonable and would be $18 for two.
Actually take a dollar off. The governors cut(tax) is 7%.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:10 PM
Platinum member

Agree with what you have said. We, in TV, better start getting used to lessened service in the restaurant business. Not enough worker bees to support the large(and getting larger) influx of non workers to this area. Went out tonight and two restuarants were 1/2 empty and there was a 15 minute waits due to fact they were understaffed.

In meantime a lof of complaints about aparments. We need these apartments so that workers have a place to live nearby. New areas of TV are probably worse off as they are further away from areas around TV which do have the worker bees nearby.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post

Bartenders in restaurants that have bars where patrons can sit, earn their tips at the bar. They aren't tipped out, here in the Villages. It's just not how it works. They get paid better than waiters.

Kitchen help get paid minimum wage, which is $11/hour at the moment. Wait staff gets paid $7.98/hour and RELY on tips to make up the difference. If their tips are pooled and split among kitchen staff, bartenders, and hosts, then those kitchen staff could theoretically be earning significantly more than the wait staff, after the tips are split.

That isn't how it works everywhere, and it definitely isn't how it worked at the places I've been on wait staff or as a bartender. Wait staff works their butts off, the customers THINK that the tips are going to the wait staff, but in actuality they only get a piece of the tip.

If a waiter gets tipped $10 for a $50 meal - and there are 10 employees working during that shift, then that means the waiter earned $1 out of their customer's tip for themselves. If the other waiter had half as many tips, then the one who EARNED more will lose out when it's time for their share of their tips.

Pooling tips to "make up" for a minimum wage benefits only the management. It hurts the employees.

And that is why there is such a huge turnover. A waiter who EARNED $100 in tips that day, might only see a total of $40 when everyone else's tips are split among themselves, and the people who don't get tipped at all BECAUSE THEY ALREADY GET PAID A HIGHER WAGE IN THE FIRST PLACE.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,413 Times in 5,106 Posts

Quote:
Bartenders in restaurants that have bars where patrons can sit, earn their tips at the bar. They aren't tipped out, here in the Villages. It's just not how it works. They get paid better than waiters.

Kitchen help get paid minimum wage, which is $11/hour at the moment. Wait staff gets paid $7.98/hour and RELY on tips to make up the difference. If their tips are pooled and split among kitchen staff, bartenders, and hosts, then those kitchen staff could theoretically be earning significantly more than the wait staff, after the tips are split.

That isn't how it works everywhere, and it definitely isn't how it worked at the places I've been on wait staff or as a bartender. Wait staff works their butts off, the customers THINK that the tips are going to the wait staff, but in actuality they only get a piece of the tip.

If a waiter gets tipped $10 for a $50 meal - and there are 10 employees working during that shift, then that means the waiter earned $1 out of their customer's tip for themselves. If the other waiter had half as many tips, then the one who EARNED more will lose out when it's time for their share of their tips.

Pooling tips to "make up" for a minimum wage benefits only the management. It hurts the employees.

And that is why there is such a huge turnover. A waiter who EARNED $100 in tips that day, might only see a total of $40 when everyone else's tips are split among themselves, and the people who don't get tipped at all BECAUSE THEY ALREADY GET PAID A HIGHER WAGE IN THE FIRST PLACE.
Pooling tips can only be done among tipped employees. It is illegal to require tipped employees to share their tip income with the kitchen staff, hosts, or management, who are not tipped employees. Federal law says that a tip is the property of the tipped employee and no one else.
Old 11-16-2022, 05:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,029 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:

There's not an accurate statement in that entire post.
Old 11-16-2022, 10:46 AM
Sage

Quote:

As to the" benefits only the management. It hurts the employees", that is what happens in all industries, especially in the last 50 years. The only counter to that situation is UNIONS. Florida and the south, in general, are anti-union. Nationally, unions in the US (not Germany) have been decreasing, which has weakened the middle class and divided America into the "Haves and Have-Nots". Which makes for a less stable and less powerful America than prior to about 1970.

We are seeing that instability here locally in the inability to maintain a stable RESTAURANT work force. They are faking enjoyment for their jobs and are casting about looking and hoping for something better. Meanwhile. management at MacDonald's is looking to have robotic servers to eliminate as many workers as possible.
Closed Thread

Tags
rent, increases, 1/2, restaurants, crappy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.