Al's Top Shelf

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Platinum member
Default Al's Top Shelf

Since I'm not a member of The Villages Gourmet Club, I can't enter a review on their site about this new-to-me restaurant. So, I'll do one here on TOTV!

"Al's Top Shelf" is a decidely upscale [which, of course, means expensive] restaurant at 111 West Ruby St., in Tavares. It's on the second floor, above what I understand is a more wallet-friendly "Al's Landing." Both overlook Lake Dora, just a little east of where the Dora Canal enters the lake.

I believe that it's open only Thu, Fri & Sat nights.

I was with a special party of some 25-30 folks. We had a semi-private room [that is, separate tables away from the main bar/dining room, but not enclosed, to keep our noise from the other diners !], and staff for virtually each table of six. Staff was very attentive and capable.

Individual or couples checks were a given, each carrying an 18% gratuity. I saw absolutely no evidence that anyone had a problem with the bill; everybody got their own and readily agreed that it was correct.

My 8-ounce sirloin was done to perfection. The accompanying mashed potatoes were superb. The standard veggie was green beans; I opted to pay an additional $2 for asparagus; merely okay.

My table mates had a wide variety of items; not a single complaint from anyone in any regard! Desserts were to-die-for.

Granted, the venue is hardly golf-cart accessible; indeed, it's a good 40 minutes from me, in Sunset Pointe. Still, if you have a special event or reason to splurge, it is well worth a look-see!

SWR

P.S.: My final tab, including 3 pinot grigio, was approximately $75. That'll give you a clue as to how "upscale" this place is!

Last edited by swrinfla; 07-01-2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Add post script
Old 07-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Thanks swrinfla. Sounds like a good place to go for a special dinner. And nice to learn we both live in Sunset Pointe.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.