Amerikano’s - diabetics/prediabetics beware!

Old 11-10-2018, 07:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
I would have ordered the salad with grilled chicken. I have found I need to be flexible in a lot of the restaurants.
I would have what she's having.

I wouldn't have been annoyed if they wouldn't change their way of doing things. We really can't expect restaurants to be involved with our health issues. I really think that sometimes we expect too much. I wouldn't have asked for a switch. I have never asked for a switch unless there is a choice offered on the menu.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

100% agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-11-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucernelson View Post
Stopped by there late yesterday. Asked if I could get the chicken kabobs without the bed of rice but instead get cole slaw or extra veggies. Waitress said substitutions weren’t allowed. Told her that I was in previously and that they did allow this. Since this waitress was fairly new, she asked another waitress but I received the same answer. I explained that I’m on a low carb diet and rice is a high carb food which I avoid as I do bread, pasta and potatoes. She was sympathetic and said she was going to check with one more person out front, who I assumed might be the manager. She came back and confirmed again that the rice is part of the order and cannot be replaced with something else. She also said that they could serve the meal without the rice but I would have to still pay for the rice. Needless to say Amerikano’s has lost a customer.
Which is more important, your health requirement or paying for your meal without the rice. Don't blame the restaurant. You had other choices from their menu sans Rice, Pasta or Potato.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I would have what she's having.

I wouldn't have been annoyed if they wouldn't change their way of doing things. We really can't expect restaurants to be involved with our health issues. I really think that sometimes we expect too much. I wouldn't have asked for a switch. I have never asked for a switch unless there is a choice offered on the menu.
it Looks like I’m in the minority here.

Last edited by BRN_RI_FL; 11-11-2018 at 09:18 AM.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:16 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swooner View Post
Which is more important, your health requirement or paying for your meal without the rice. Don't blame the restaurant. You had other choices from their menu sans Rice, Pasta or Potato.
Healthy choices, easy as pie. Just order healthy but be prepared to pay for your choices and not expect the restaurant which is a business to give you more than you are paying them to provide.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Old 11-11-2018, 12:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Creamy coleslaw can be both high in calories and carbs. Vinegar dressed coleslaw has less. A creamy coleslaw could be very high in sugar content.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,412 Times in 5,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
We went to Bluefin for lunch last week and they told us we could substitute anything.
So, if I order a bowl of soup, can I substitute the 2 pound lobster?

Old 11-11-2018, 03:37 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
So, if I order a bowl of soup, can I substitute the 2 pound lobster?
If you pay the upcharge. I didn't say substitutions were free I said they were available.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:58 AM

I'm diabetic and just order what I can eat. I would have said just leave off the rice. I would have then ordered a side i could eat. Let's think about it any substitution would be more than the rice. If, I don't know, but if it were a special then probably no substitutions. I often pay an upcharge to get something I can eat.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:10 PM

If you can't eat what's on the menu, don't order it.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I can not eat cheese for allergy reasons and I have a heck of a time getting it omitted from many orders; I can sympathize. Also just try to get them to 'hold the salt'.

On the other hand...my ex-wife: "I'll have the special (chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and green beans) but want to substitute steamed chicken for the fried steak, rice for the mashed potatoes and peas for the green beans." True story - many times over...

Point is this can get out of hand.

Why not order the kabobs without the rice and a veggie or two on the side? Rice is cheap and easy to prepare; veggies cost more than rice and are more work to prepare. Q.E.D.: They are not equivalent.
Good that she’s your EX.

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?

Tags
rice, waitress, asked, carb, amerikano’s

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.