Arby’s on 466–What a disappointment!

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2019, 12:46 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Ha. The food police stuck again.
Defending bacon is a responsibility one must not take lightly.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Defending bacon is a responsibility one must not take lightly.
Bacon receives the highest levels of immunity. I have never met a bacon I didn't like.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:10 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Bacon receives the highest levels of immunity. I have never met a bacon I didn't like.
I agree, with the caveat that turkey bacon is an imposter.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I agree, with the caveat that turkey bacon is an imposter.
As is turkey "pepperoni"!
Old 02-20-2019, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

How about a turkey made from bacon?
Old 02-20-2019, 01:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

You know what they say:

"Bacon is a dish best served."
Old 02-20-2019, 10:34 PM
Gold member

You get what you pay for. Arby's is way down on the listof fast food place I would go to.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:48 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

I had the 1/2lb French Dip tonight, and ordered 4 Rost Beef Jalapeno Sliders to save for lunch tomorrow.
Steve
Old 02-21-2019, 08:31 AM
Veteran member

My expectations at fast food places, including Arbys, is always low. And sometimes even that is too high.

When I first visited Arbys many, many years ago, I was taken by the fact that the "roast beef" sandwich tasted nothing like roast beef. Or beef for that matter. I nearly vowed never to return but saw something on the menu that I hadn't heard of. Something called a "Jamocha shake". I ordered one and have been hooked on Arbys every since. I've gone back enough times that I learned to actually like that "allegedly roast beef" sandwich. I have had occasional visits to certain Arbys in and around The Villages (I really should have noted the locations) where the meet seemed tough and chewy. Perhaps it had just been slow days and the "roast" in question had dried out. Still, it's better than Burger King, Hardees or McDonalds (whose Quarter Pounder went downhill when they started local sourcing it). Wendys is only marginally better in my opinion (with their spicy chicken sandwich being their saving grace).

I'm just glad I'm no longer working and having short lunch hours where fast foot places like this were my only real option. I hardly ever eat fast food any more and my waistline and cholesterol levels thank me for it!
Old 02-21-2019, 08:32 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
The first Arby's opened in Ohio in 1964. I believe it was either 1965 or '66 that Arby's opened on US 19 in St. Petersburg, Florida, not far from my high school. The building looked just like the photo below. It was mostly glass and when you entered the man wearing the chef uniform and tall hat stood out. He was at a slicer that was prominent right behind the counter. He sliced the meat with precision and stacked it onto a scale making sure every sandwich had the right amount. The buns were tall with sesame seeds and the BBQ sauce was like nothing you've had before.

The sandwiches were 79 cents, which at time was a lot considering McDonalds had opened across the street 3 years earlier and hamburgers were just 15 cents. My dad and I would go on a Saturday about once a month for a special meal at Arby's. If I had some extra money, we would sneak out of St. Pete High at lunch time an grab and Arby's sandwich.

About 1980 those original buildings started to disappear and replaced with square looking modern buildings. I ate at Arbys maybe once a month, it was nothing special by then, just a regular fast food with a little bit of variety. Sometime in the 80's I noticed the roasts started to appear to be processed, they were still good as long as you had plenty of Arby's sauce. About four years ago I ate at the Arbys on 466 in front of Walmart, the meat appeared darker in spots like it had been scorched and was hard. I threw the sandwich away and have never been back.

The Villages Florida

This idea has been tried and failed. In 1969 when I was in my second year at JC I wanted a part-time job, so I answered an ad and was hired at a brand new restaurant called "Wagon Ho". If you've been to St. Petersburg and went to St. Pete Beach via Pasadena Ave. it was on the left side just before you crossed any bridges.

This was a new franchise that was trying to incorporate both Arby's style roast beef and Burger King Flame Broiled Burgers. We had the slicers and the conveyor belt burger machine and we also had great fries. They built five of these locations. The buildings were very unique, it was like a giant western wagon with a huge canvas sail and a 15' high cowboy on the front. We all wore jeans, a white cowboy hat and cowboy shirt and greeted the customer by saying, "Howdy Partner, May I Take Your Order".

I thought Wagon Ho was going to catch on and do great. That summer of '69 I went away and worked on the boardwalk in Ocean City, Maryland at my cousin's sub shop. When I returned and stopped at Wagon Ho to get my old job back. The owners had moved on and turned the franchise back to the company. Business was slow and only a handful of employees were still there. I worked for a couple of months until they closed the doors.

The Villages Florida

Wagon Ho! - Bhamwiki
Love the pictures! Looks like my VW parked out front.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:20 AM
Veteran member

I like their brisket sandwich.
Closed Thread

Tags
sandwich, food, fast, turkey, arby’s

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.