Aw shucks...

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Golden Sunrise Member
Default Aw shucks...

in Wildwood... Has anyone tried it? If so, what do you think? It looks like a beachy dive bar (shrimp, oysters, cold beer), but could be just a dive...
Old 02-26-2011, 01:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
in Wildwood... Has anyone tried it? If so, what do you think? It looks like a beachy dive bar (shrimp, oysters, cold beer), but could be just a dive...
Wait - is it called Aw Shucks? Where is it?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:01 AM
Veteran member
Default Check out Health Violations- Aw Shucks

Quote:
See this link to see a recent Health Department Inspection of Aw Shucks, it appears they received 7 violations and a warning.

http://data.gainesville.com/restaura...ection_2032646
Old 02-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Sage

I think many restaurants in the area receive critical citations..look at Palmer. I guess what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
My neighbor and his buddies go to Shucks on a regular basis and love the food. He says their oysters on the half shell are excellent and the wings are good also. We'll go with you, Kate.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackz View Post
See this link to see a recent Health Department Inspection of Aw Shucks, it appears they received 7 violations and a warning.
Interesting, but not very informative to someone like me who doesn't work in the food prep industry.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhass View Post
I think many restaurants in the area receive critical citations..look at Palmer. I guess what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
My neighbor and his buddies go to Shucks on a regular basis and love the food. He says their oysters on the half shell are excellent and the wings are good also. We'll go with you, Kate.
Sounds good Deb....
Old 02-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:

Jack,

Thanks for the heads up - the site is really useful. Compared to some other restaurants, Aw Shucks seems to be in better shape. Check out the Speckled Butterbean...
Old 02-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:

Have a couple of chasers (rum, vodka, tequila) with the beer. That should kill any microbes that are floating around in the oysters, etc.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Gold member

I would not put too much faith in the Health Department inspection reports. I have owned and operated food service businesses in the past. The inspector showed up just after I opened my first establishment. I had bought out the previous owner of the restaurant/bar. The inspector gave me a 3 page listing of discrepancies. I was wondering how the previous owner never got hit during their inspections. I started on the "fix it" list which was all minor problems. A few nights later the same inspector and a friend sat at the bar and had a few drinks and pupus. I instructed the staff to comp their bill. Next inspection - no discrepancies. Now, before you get all excited, I did eventually fix all the items on the first listing because I wanted to be in compliance with the letter of the law. Just goes to show that the inspections can be misleading. Better to trust your own eyes and judgement. If the place is dirty out front, you don't even want to see the kitchen. The same thing applies to Liquor Inspectors, Fire Department, you name it. Delivery truck drivers trying to sell "excess" items on their truck. Owning a business can be an education in itself. I have never owned a business in Florida but I suspect it is much the same.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Veteran member

Well said Batman. I did a quick look at the list and did not see anything at all listed for the Pizza Hut / KFC on 441. I walked in there one time on 2009 and got about 3 steps in the door, did an about face and walked out the door never to return again. They would have needed a high power fire hose to clean that place.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Veteran member

A few nights later the same inspector and a friend sat at the bar and had a few drinks and pupus.

Okay Batman, based on the above sentence and the word "pupus" your business had to be in Hawaii..Lived there for 12 years and had many "pupus" during that time. Mahalo for your comments.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Gold member

You are correct Jackz. Still living on the rock for now. I see from your avatar that you kept some of your Aloha shirts. I may need to hold an Aloha shirt garage sale before I depart the land of Aloha.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
You are correct Jackz. Still living on the rock for now. I see from your avatar that you kept some of your Aloha shirts. I may need to hold an Aloha shirt garage sale before I depart the land of Aloha.

Hell no - we all wear them here, too...
Old 02-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Maybe the Bonita group needs to make a road trip.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

Good question Kate! Me & Ms AG always wondered about it too as it looks like something we might like. Guess we will just have to see if they improve some in the rating or just take some Pepto before hand!!!

Army Guy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.