Baked Brie En Croute Appetizer

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2022, 11:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts
Default Baked Brie En Croute Appetizer

Got a hankerin' for Baked Brie En Croute appetizer. Is there any restaurant in The Villages that features this dish on their menu? Seems I may have had it at a country club but that was years ago.

The appetizer is usually served with thinly sliced apples, maybe some cranberries, nuts and some sort of jelly. It is served baked and warm. Yum!
Old 01-11-2022, 12:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,665 Times in 1,503 Posts
Default Or,

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Got a hankerin' for Baked Brie En Croute appetizer. Is there any restaurant in The Villages that features this dish on their menu? Seems I may have had it at a country club but that was years ago.

The appetizer is usually served with thinly sliced apples, maybe some cranberries, nuts and some sort of jelly. It is served baked and warm. Yum!
I found several recipes and they don't seem hard to make and don't take a lot of time. Maybe try making your own. You might have fun with it while getting to enjoy them straight from the oven. YUM!
Old 01-11-2022, 02:25 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Hi coffeebean,

In traditional TOTV mode, I cannot answer your question but I am going to suggest you might want to give it it try yourself.

Pepperidge Farm makes a puff pastry, and wheels of brie are easy to find. You can find an easy recipe on Pepperidge Farm’s site.

(I saw a recipe on a different site that said to use Pillsbury Crescent Rolls — but I don’t know about that. And after that long thread here about their cinnamon roll can, I thought I’d better not bring those up. - loved that thread. It was a classic.)

I use pepper jelly on brie. A friend of mine is hooked on the Greenbriar’s pepper jelly she orders online. It’s good, but I just get mine at the grocery store.

If you can’t find a restaurant that serves Baked Brie en Croute and you don’t want to mess with making it with dough, yourself, you might be able to get your needed fix by buying some brie, warming it with whatever kind of jam or jelly you like, and smearing it on your favorite cracker.

(Hey! Before this thread is over, maybe we can start an argument over whether to eat or pitch the rind on brie.

And I can predict that if such an argument really did start, somebody would show up and insist that Philly is just as good as brie and it’s elitist to think otherwise. And that poster would get a whole bunch of thank yous and the thread might even go on for a hundred-plus posts.)

Boomer

PS: Actually, Philly with pepper jelly is darned good on crackers.

Last edited by Boomer; 01-11-2022 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Keep a few from TJ’s in my freezer for a quick appetizer. No work, and they are great
Old 01-12-2022, 11:18 AM
Platinum member
Default Restaurants

You asked about restaurants serving it.
The Villages Gourmet Club Search Engine found two nearby:
Frog & Monkey Restaurant Pub in Mount Dora for dessert and
Lakeside Inn, Beauclaire Restaurant also in Mount Dora as an appetizer.
Eight other restaurants in the "Baked Brie" search results were further afield.

Hope this helps.

Skip
Old 01-12-2022, 02:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Hi coffeebean,

In traditional TOTV mode, I cannot answer your question but I am going to suggest you might want to give it it try yourself.

Pepperidge Farm makes a puff pastry, and wheels of brie are easy to find. You can find an easy recipe on Pepperidge Farm’s site.

(I saw a recipe on a different site that said to use Pillsbury Crescent Rolls — but I don’t know about that. And after that long thread here about their cinnamon roll can, I thought I’d better not bring those up. - loved that thread. It was a classic.)

I use pepper jelly on brie. A friend of mine is hooked on the Greenbriar’s pepper jelly she orders online. It’s good, but I just get mine at the grocery store.

If you can’t find a restaurant that serves Baked Brie en Croute and you don’t want to mess with making it with dough, yourself, you might be able to get your needed fix by buying some brie, warming it with whatever kind of jam or jelly you like, and smearing it on your favorite cracker.

(Hey! Before this thread is over, maybe we can start an argument over whether to eat or pitch the rind on brie.

And I can predict that if such an argument really did start, somebody would show up and insist that Philly is just as good as brie and it’s elitist to think otherwise. And that poster would get a whole bunch of thank yous and the thread might even go on for a hundred-plus posts.)

Boomer

PS: Actually, Philly with pepper jelly is darned good on crackers.
Hi Boomer,
I love your posts so I thank you for your response. I did see a recipe which includes honey on top of the Brie. That sounds interesting.

As for pepper jelly........the first time I ever had pepper jelly, it was poured over cream cheese (Philly) and served up with crackers. OMG......I was hooked. GREAT STUFF! And.....so easy as an appy.

PS....I prefer to pitch the rind but I know it is perfectly edible.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post

Hope this helps.

Skip
Thank you. Hubby and I have been planning a trip to Mt. Dora while this weather is so beautiful. We will certainly include one of these restaurants for our outing.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post

Hope this helps.

Skip
Frog and Monkey no longer has Brie En Croute on the menu.

Lakeside Inn serves Brie En Croute only at dinner time. I think I found an occasion restaurant to celebrate our next wedding anniversary but that isn't until December. Oh, what to do? I think I will make this delectable appy myself, just like some of you have suggested.

I watched a few videos and see a few different techniques to wrap the pastry around the brie. There are many different preserves and such to fill the brie with. There is also a technique which includes slicing the brie in half horizontally and placing the additions in the middle of the cheese.

For my first attempt, I've decided to use honey and dried cherries to "stuff" the brie with. I've also decided on the following technique to wrap the brie which is different from all other techniques I have seen. Here is a video of the pastry dough wrapping technique which looks interesting to me...........

Cooking with Johan - Baked Brie - YouTube
Old 01-18-2022, 09:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

For "stuffing" the brie, I have bought Dalmatia Fig Spread in Publix. I think they might have the fig-orange one too.
Old 01-29-2022, 04:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
For "stuffing" the brie, I have bought Dalmatia Fig Spread in Publix. I think they might have the fig-orange one too.
That sounds delicious but I can't sell my husband on anything with fig.

I did make the Brie En Croute and it was absolutely beautiful and so delicious. I decided against using honey and cherries so I used brown sugar and chopped pecans lightly sauteed in butter for the "stuffing". The brown sugar turned into a caramel which was awesome. That is Emeril's recipe. OMG.....I have to make it again.

My Brie did not leak and was picture perfect. I still can not believe I actually made it.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:27 PM

Or, you can buy it already prepared at The Fresh Market and just pop it in the oven. Delicious!
Old 01-31-2022, 06:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RErmer View Post
Or, you can buy it already prepared at The Fresh Market and just pop it in the oven. Delicious!
Does Fresh Market have different fillings for their already prepared Brie En Croute? To be honest, I like to be able to pick what I would like inside the brie wheel. I really had a great time preparing the Brie En Croute and my utter surprise to see how beautiful it turned out is priceless. I'm not a baker so this was a big accomplishment for me. I plan to make it again, using a smaller wheel of brie just for hubby and me on Valentine's Day.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RErmer View Post
I found these on the Fresh Market website. Thank you for the suggestion........

The Fresh Market Search results page

Tags
baked, appetizer, brie, served, croute

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.