Best Hot Dogs in TV.

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2020, 03:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Best Hot Dogs in TV.

Not sure, but a lot seem to be draged round TV on leashes during the heat of the day.
Here is one with a lot of hair!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20160507_141533.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	84919  
Old 06-30-2020, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,036 Times in 5,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Here is one with a lot of hair!
Give that dog a good trim and there will not be much dog left.

Poor thing must swelter in the heat.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:01 PM

We found Kayems at Angus Wholesale Meats in Dunnellon.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:27 AM
Veteran member

We really desperately need to get a Portillo’s Hot Dogs in TV. Chicago dogs done right.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:41 AM
Veteran member

I know this is not in tv but for all of the people from Michigan that misses the coney islands there is a place in palm harbor, Florida. that makes Michigan coney dogs, they also have sanders hot fudge, big boys slim Jim’s and big boys hamburgers. It is all Detroit from Faygo pop, bettermaid chips to the decor. The owners are from Michigan. I know it’s a drive but well worth it. The name of the place is Detroit Coney Island.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:45 PM

I heard there was a guy at the Ace Hardware in Wildwood. Any news on whether he is there or not?
Old 07-01-2020, 09:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonysMom View Post
I heard there was a guy at the Ace Hardware in Wildwood. Any news on whether he is there or not?
The one we saw sells knishes.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:49 AM
Veteran member
Smile Checkers!

Checkers in Leesburg, not in the villages but I think their Hot Dogs are great. Buns are really fresh and the chili sauce is very good. Did I mention they are also cheap and you can drive through and get their hamburgers with chili sauce.

I know this will probably raise some eyebrows > I learned this when I mentioned on another forum that Arbys fresh market Ruben sandwiches were great. This didn't conform to preconceived notions. The biggest problem I have there is feeling guilty about charging the low amount for my Hot Dog on my Credit card instead of paying cash (because I don't have or want the change ).
Old 07-02-2020, 01:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet View Post
Checkers in Leesburg, not in the villages but I think their Hot Dogs are great. Buns are really fresh and the chili sauce is very good. Did I mention they are also cheap and you can drive through and get their hamburgers with chili sauce.

I know this will probably raise some eyebrows > I learned this when I mentioned on another forum that Arbys fresh market Ruben sandwiches were great. This didn't conform to preconceived notions. The biggest problem I have there is feeling guilty about charging the low amount for my Hot Dog on my Credit card instead of paying cash (because I don't have or want the change ).
While we are on the subject of Arby's their Gyros are surprisingly good. BTW we are not using cash these days safer to use our cc.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:41 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpuleo View Post
Sam's Club on 441 has dynamite hot dogs; they claim they are Nathans, who knows but they taste awesome and you get a big fat hot dog and a drink for $1.70--at least that's what it cost before the pandemic. I haven't been in Sam's lately so I don't know if the hot dog concession is open. Try it, you'll like it!!!
The eatery/ food court at Sam’s Club has been closed since March. Just thought I’d mention it
Old 07-03-2020, 03:53 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Great Chicago Fire has one of the best pizza's I've ever eaten, however they have small oven and can only make a 12" pizza. It's kind of like golf being in between clubs. It's too small for two people, and to buy two is too much. I never had their hot dogs. The only negative is the place is small, we were there about two years ago and they were just fixing the place up. It's looks really nice now.

The Villages Florida
Looks like a mini Portillo's.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:32 PM
Wink Time for...........

Wienerschnitzel!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
The best hot dogs in The Villages are to be found at anybody in the know who goes to the "Koegels on the Road" events (usually twice a year) and buys Koegels Viennas in Natural Casings and hustles them home and throws them on the grill. This is a Michigan-based processed meat company who is so beloved by native Michiganders (myself included) that they would often pay more for shipping and handling than for the hot dogs themselves to by them by mail. Koegels wised up and started sending semi-trucks down to cities up and down the eastern seaboard to sell them at these events.

Michigan has its faults (the horrendous condition of the roads being WAY up there on the list) but they allegedly have the highest standards for processed meats in the country. Hot dogs made there are just better and Koegels is the best of the best. Now, I am obviously biased, but I've introduced several of our neighbors and friends (who are NOT from Michigan) to them and several of them now buy from the road events and say they are the best hot dogs they've ever tasted.

Now, if you just can't get Koegels, the guy that sells them in front of Home Depot (not sure if he's doing it anymore) has some decent dogs and some pretty good Coney sauce (essentially a chili sauce) on them.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
If you're from western Massachusetts, THIS is a hot dog.

Frankfurters Archives - Blue Seal Kielbasa
Haven't had the hot dogs, but the kielbasa is the the best I've had. A friend of ours who's brother owns a meat market back home in Mass., orders them for us every so often, but they aren't easy to get

Last edited by laryb; 08-09-2020 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

It makes me sad to see so many people recommending Nathans as a great dog. Nathans is to hotdogs what Chili's is to fine dining.
A step up from McDonalds for sure, but "good" is not a word I'd select to describe it. "Barely adequate" is more like it. Sabrett's is better and Sahlenn's is even better than that, but they're still "fast-food brand-names" and don't quite make the "good" category.
Hebrew National is decent but only if you boil them. They're not all that good split and grilled (which is how a proper dog should be!).
Old 08-08-2020, 08:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It makes me sad to see so many people recommending Nathans as a great dog. Nathans is to hotdogs what Chili's is to fine dining.
A step up from McDonalds for sure, but "good" is not a word I'd select to describe it. "Barely adequate" is more like it. Sabrett's is better and Sahlenn's is even better than that, but they're still "fast-food brand-names" and don't quite make the "good" category.
Hebrew National is decent but only if you boil them. They're not all that good split and grilled (which is how a proper dog should be!).
Empire Kosher is several steps above Hebrew National but no idea if you can get them anywhere near here.
Closed Thread

Tags
hot, dog, home, truck, leaves

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.