Old 04-15-2017, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

The liverwurst on rye at TooJay's.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2017, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Beef O'Brady's has a pretty good Philly Cheesesteak. I have never had a real Philly Cheesesteak in Philadelphia though.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:03 AM
Default Wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesser160@aol.com View Post
Jersey Mike's and Publix have the best Sub rolls anywhere (eccept Amarosos in Phila.)
Soon Wawa will be open at the intersection of 301/466.
Up north they use a Philly roll,hope they import them or found a good local bakery.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Outside The Villages the Italian beef sandwich at The Great Chicago Fire Brewery & Tap Room in Leesburg is excellent.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Outside The Villages the Italian beef sandwich at The Great Chicago Fire Brewery & Tap Room in Leesburg is excellent.

We may check that out in a few weeks.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I gave my list of favorites earlier. After reading some of these posts, I can't believe some of the others.

WaWA, I lived 2 blocks from one for 6 years in Baltimore. For a pre-made sub in a clear box, they're good or have one made to order usually in 5 minutes. If there isn't a Jersey Mike's nearby and you're in a hurry, then I would definitely buy one. If one is next to a Subway, do yourself a flavor, skip Subway. WaWa is better than Subway but a distant 2nd to Jersey Mike's.

Real Philly Subs, get it without the cheese and then they're not bad. But a grilled steak sub loaded onto a sub roll, what's with the smeared on Cheez Whizz? No Thanks!

The Villages Florida

The hamburger for $9 at the Colony Shell station. Sorry, but I can make a better burger on my grill. I won't go back for seconds, one time was enough for me, plus the atmosphere sucks. Makes me think that many villagers have never had a good burger.

Square 1 Burgers, one step up from Colony, way over-priced. If you insist on having a fancy burger in a sit-down restaurant, go to Chilis and get the Old Timer Burger for $7.98 with fries.

The Villages Florida

Beef O'Brady Steak Sub, they are tied with Johnny Rockets Steak Sub, not bad, not great, will get by in a pinch, but lead in the amount of grease. $10 is a little much at Johnny Rockets, but they're not as greasy. If I want to spend $10 on a sandwich in a sit-down restaurant I prefer the French Dip at City Fire in Brownwood. It's worth going back for.

Publix Subs, I actually found something that Subway was better than, the subs at Publix. If Publix had fresh sub rolls, they might slightly move ahead, but otherwise don't waste your money. My last Publix sub I had to throw away. I do like Publix the store, especially their Boar's Head lunch meat, Virginia Baked Ham is my favorite but $10.99 a pound is a little high.

The worse sub I ever had was a Firehouse sub. I was at the Mall of Millenia in Orlando about five years ago, and for a beautiful mall with every high-end store you could think of they had a food court that was barely better than Ocala's mall. I think they've added a Panera's since then, but that day I made the mistake to try Firehouse. I ordered an Italian sub, they never asked if I wanted it toasted or with mayonaise. Two major mistakes and I didn't even have a choice in the matter. Anyone who knows a good sub, would never, ever have it toasted and to put mayonaise on vinegar and oil is asking for trouble. Never again!

Since were talking about Philadelphia and sandwiches at WaWa, then if you want the best steak sub or Crab Cake for that matter. Next time driving up I-95 through Maryland get off on Route 24 West or Exit 77B Bel Air, that's about ten miles north of the Baltimore beltway. After exiting and headed West on Route 24, get in the exit lane to the right, it's the first intersection go onto to Route 924. You'll pass a WaWa, and then a huge Wegman's Grocery Store on the right. Go about a mile further, you'll pass a Giant Grocery store, then pass a red light with a Walgreens on the corner to your right. Go about 100 yards and turn into the shopping center on the right directly across from Wendys. Right next to the biggest Ravens Orioles Store you've ever seen, pull up to 'Box Hill Pizza', have a seat in the dinning room. At lunch you may have to wait a few minutes, but it's worth it.

It looks like this on the outside, it takes up two storefronts.

The Villages Florida

Crab Cakes are about $13.95 with fries or salad, but they've been picked as the best in Maryland. Their steak subs, no Cheez Whizz here, the provolone is melted on the steak meat while cooking on the grill, Jersey Mike's also does this. The buns are softest and freshest you'll ever eat, and a whole sub with grilled onions is about $6.98.

The Villages Florida

Last edited by John_W; 04-16-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:50 AM
Sage

I like some of the Subway subs but the roast chicken seems like soy topped with chicken soup. I am having it for lunch though as my dog Beau would rather have his dog food. And it is probably better for him.

Their Philly cheesesteak is good and I often get their meatball. My friend Ron raves about their Subway Seafood Sensation but it seems no Villages' subways serve that???
Old 04-16-2017, 06:25 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,327 Posts

I'll take the Maryland crab cake. The only thing better is my Virginia lump crab cake!!!!
Old 04-16-2017, 06:32 AM
Location: Formerly Village of Gilchrist, now Pensacola Villas

Dippity Dueys! They are now located out in front of the entrance to Oxford Downs Poker Room And Browns Farmer Markett on 301
Old 04-16-2017, 07:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaderby View Post
Dippity Dueys! They are now located out in front of the entrance to Oxford Downs Poker Room And Browns Farmer Markett on 301
Dippity Duey's - Home | Facebook

Had not heard of them before.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:17 AM

Another vote here for Jersey Mike's!
Old 04-16-2017, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I'll take the Maryland crab cake. The only thing better is my Virginia lump crab cake!!!!
My wife makes a pretty good one as well. We found the best crab meat is at Sam's Club. In fact that's the main reason we remain members. It's usually about $22 a pound in the round blue container. It's looks something like this, she can usually make about 8. We found the best cole slaw to go with them is at Winn Dixie.

The Villages Florida
Closed Thread

Tags
sandwich, market, imho, fresh, deli

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.