Best Tacos

Closed Thread
Old 12-16-2018, 12:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
If you want the best authentic Mexican food in the Villages (or just about anywhere), look no further than AL Jalisco in Spanish Springs. Top notch food at a very reasonable price. Taco Bell versus Al Jalisco is like comparing my golf game to Tiger Woods in his prime. Of all the restaurants in the Villages, this place is always the most consistent quality, reasonably priced, and rarely crowded. I can't figure out why it's not always packed, when much inferior restaurants have long waiting lines. My best guess is because Mexican food is just not that popular and that it is located somewhat off the town square.
Maybe I need to try it again. Went to Ay Jalisco when it opened and never went back it was so bad. Lived in the state of Jalisco for 10 years and never tasted anything as bad as I got the one visit. Will try again for sure.

If you are near new construction look for the taco truck. Kind of like a roach coach. That's some good food!
Old 12-16-2018, 02:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Best Taco's in The Villages, my house. You all should come over when my wife cooks Tacos for about 30 people. It is a sight to see. Even little holders for the shells.

You all are invited. Most of the people we usually have won't be back. They are to fat for wall climbing. 'Ole!
Old 12-16-2018, 05:16 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Best Taco's in The Villages, my house. You all should come over when my wife cooks Tacos for about 30 people. It is a sight to see. Even little holders for the shells.

You all are invited. Most of the people we usually have won't be back. They are to fat for wall climbing. 'Ole!

Trying to scale Nucky's wall to get at those Tacos.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ISlWN217EYQ/maxresdefault.jpg

Ole.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:18 AM
Sage

Although I suppose it's not strictly Mexican, I love the tacos at Moe's Southwest Grill, either crispy or soft. They mostly sell burritos but can make tacos also. You choose which toppings you want. My downfall is that I can't pass up asking for sloppy pinto beans on the taco with the meat, so by the time it is fully loaded with onions, cheeses, sour cream, guacamole, pico de gallo or salsa, cilantro etc., etc., the shell collapses. Oh well, it still tastes good eaten with a fork.

There is also a sauce bar that has the most imaginative sauces. Thinking about it has whetted my appetite, so I think we'll go there today!
Old 12-16-2018, 03:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Maybe I need to try it again. Went to Ay Jalisco when it opened and never went back it was so bad. Lived in the state of Jalisco for 10 years and never tasted anything as bad as I got the one visit. Will try again for sure.

If you are near new construction look for the taco truck. Kind of like a roach coach. That's some good food!
I agree. I my opinion Ay Jalisco is hit or miss. Mostly miss.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:21 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
I agree. I my opinion Ay Jalisco is hit or miss. Mostly miss.
I was there Wednesday and had a delicious tortilla soup and chicken chiles rellenos. Really very good.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
If you want the best authentic Mexican food in the Villages (or just about anywhere), look no further than AL Jalisco in Spanish Springs. Top notch food at a very reasonable price. Taco Bell versus Al Jalisco is like comparing my golf game to Tiger Woods in his prime. Of all the restaurants in the Villages, this place is always the most consistent quality, reasonably priced, and rarely crowded. I can't figure out why it's not always packed, when much inferior restaurants have long waiting lines. My best guess is because Mexican food is just not that popular and that it is located somewhat off the town square.
Or, maybe it’s not crowded because most people, like myself, tried it and it was terrible....... everybody’s taste is different....
Old 12-16-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Love GOOD Mexican food but haven't found any within 30 miles of The Villages in the 8+ years we have been here. Tried Ay! Jalisco three times and that was four times too many. We do eat Mexican occasionally when the urge overcomes common sense but we are still looking for GOOD.

Rubio's in Leesburg is probably the most authentic in the area but it is only about four tables in the back of a small Mexican grocery with a very limited menu, zero atmosphere, and, as I tell our neighbors, it is probably TOO authentic for most Villager's.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:45 AM
Sage

Ate lunch at Rubio's once a few years ago. The food wasn't bad or good, just basic and neutral, I thought.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:09 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,314 Times in 383 Posts

Go down to the massive construction zone in DeSoto, McClure etc and find the roving food trucks.

All the illegals that have buikt our homes know goid Mexican Food.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,456 Times in 3,087 Posts

Moe's beats taco hell for chain-restaurant tacos. If there's a Pancheros anywhere near you, I'd try that too. They're pretty good up here in CT, just opened one up in the last year. If there's a good taqueria nearby definitely give it a try. It's not what you'll find at a typical American-style Mexican restaurant. No cheese, no beans, no lettuce, no peppers and olives. Just a spoonful of protein (fish, ground beef, carne asada, tongue, pork, chicken, etc), chopped white onion, and chopped cilantro on a very small double layer of soft corn tortillas. Add a few drops of red or green sauce and that's lunch.

Those are the only "chain" places I'd ever eat a taco. I never go to taco hell unless I'm really hungry and have only enough change in my car's change-bucket for a couple of originals. Taco hell's cooked food isn't even actually cooked there. It's pre-cooked, bagged and frozen, then reheated at the store in microwaved ovens, then kept in warmers on the prep counter. They give it a stir every 20 minutes if it's not busy, just so it doesn't crust up. It's not even mostly beef. It's mostly corn starch, yeast, and ground oats, plus sweeteners and artificial flavors and emulsifiers and preservatives. Pretty disgusting.

Also - just FYI: taco sauce is a commercial American "Mexican-style" restaurant invention. It's mostly a taco hell invention, and a few places that copy it. If you want hot sauce on a taco, put hot sauce on a taco. If you want salsa, use salsa. I like my non-taqueria tacos with pico de gallo on them. I only like fresh salsa, not jarred or made with powdered ingredients, so I tend to not use salsa if I'm going anywhere other than a local joint that makes it from scratch.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:57 PM

went to Habaneros on 466. Terrible food. Tacos tasted old and the avocado was rotten as well as the tomato pieces that we were charges extra for. Never again will I go to this restaurant. I guess others already know not to go because only a few booths were filled and I think they were family members.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:11 AM
Veteran member

Two places I have not seen mentioned: Prima Market La Poblana on 301 near 42, and Los Magueyes - also on 301, but down in Wildwood. Neither are actually in The Villages, but I have not found a truly good Mexican restaurant in The Villages. Ay Jalisco is very average - some days better than others.

For a large, commercial restaurant, Los Magueyes is the best I have found around. Salsa is fantastic (especially if you ask for the green!), and food is great.

If you are looking for authentic, go to Prima Market La Poblana on 301 - it's a tiny hole in the wall Mexican market that just happens to serve food also. Unbelievably good - not a high end atmosphere, but fantastic authentic mexican cuisine.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:27 PM

Go to Chuy's in Gainesville or Wesley Chapel. Best Tex-Mex around. None of the places mentioned are Mexican restaurants. Ask for salsa in a Mex-Mex restaurant and you will get a very questioning look. Long time Texan here with many years in Mexico as well, still looking for great Mexican with no luck. Los M in Wildwood probably best in close vicinity or grocery up on 484 Mercardo Pueblo. Best tamales around and hot buffet bar with fresh food daily. Be ready to learn some Spanish and eat some great food.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Went to Ay Jalisco last week and ordered tacos. I asked the waitress, who was Hispanic, for some taco sauce. She looked at me like I was crazy, had no idea what it was, and brought me Tabasco sauce. The tacos at Taco Bell are way better than Ay Jalisco. I find it incredible, but there is just no comparison. I just wish Taco Bell sold beer.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 01-08-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
taco, tacos, sauce, found, bell

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.