Double billing

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2019, 10:33 PM
Default Double billing

Has anyone been double billed at Bonifay CC. Bank statement showed 2 exact amounts billed on 2 different days.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Keep a check on it. Sometimes it is an error by the company that manages the credit card billings, and will be corrected. We have had that happen a few times (not with Bonifay).
Old 02-07-2019, 11:32 PM

Will do. How were you able to correct your situation?
Old 02-07-2019, 11:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Will do. How were you able to correct your situation?
In all cases, the cc management company corrected itself. We saw the credit the next day or so. I think it has happened three times in the last few years, and I kept checking on it on my online account to make sure the correction went through.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:44 PM
Sage

Penguin, now that I think about it, it happened mainly with restaurants.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:07 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
In all cases, the cc management company corrected itself. We saw the credit the next day or so. I think it has happened three times in the last few years, and I kept checking on it on my online account to make sure the correction went through.
The restaurants put a hold on the amount until the actual charge goes through. The hold then usually goes away.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Correction is easy. Any charges for which you do not have a receipt or authorization is not yours.

Many people just browse their statements to see that all looks "OK".

I reconcile mine against receipts and authorizations I have in hand.

Charges that do mat match up are reversed almost immediately by the card issuing organization.

For me close enough does not work for ANY financial transactions.
Once the card company notes you reconcile statements with receipts, irregularities move with dispatch.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:30 AM

I believe my problem is that both charges already posted to my account. Went to the bank and they confirmed that both charges were exactly the same and on different days. I think the Country Club's only way to fix this for me is to just give me a gift card for the added charge.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:36 AM
fw102807

Quote:
I believe my problem is that both charges already posted to my account. Went to the bank and they confirmed that both charges were exactly the same and on different days. I think the Country Club's only way to fix this for me is to just give me a gift card for the added charge.
No, if they can charge your account they can credit your account.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Your card company can put an inquiry on charge, which will reverse charge until original company fixes the problem.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

I never use a credit card in restaurants unless I can add the tip and then swipe it myself. When they take your card to the back room, the first thing they do is place a pending charge on the card for the amount less the tip. Then, you add the tip and they make another charge against the card with the tip added to it. So, there are always 2 charges against your card, and hopefully, the first one gets removed before it changes from pending to complete. This is the way almost all restaurants handle credit card charges. I think it is a bad system.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:48 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

We are set up with the credit card company to get a text each time a charge is made. It always happens immediately.

I learned about this on TOTV a while back. Thank you to whoever posted about it. The cell goes ding, on the spot.

We have never had a duplicate but I assume the cell text notification would ding twice if that happened.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

I use the alert system and an email notification. Anytime someone charges my credit card or makes any transaction on my checking or investment accounts over 5 dollars, I get an email. That way, I don't have to hear the annoying text messages dinging all the time. I think most financial institutions have an alert option that you can set up online.
Closed Thread

Tags
billed, double, exact, showed, amounts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.