Beware of The Chop House

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2022, 01:57 PM
Angry Beware of The Chop House

Beware of the Chop House. On Friday March 5th we had a birthday celebration at the Chop House. Our table was ready at the reserved time and we were greeted by our server. I ordered the catch of the day which was sword fish along with potato and broccoli. When our meals were delivered, mine was not. The server said that it was not prepared as I ordered and it would be out soon. It finally arrived (partially) when everyone else had eaten almost half or more of theirs. The broccolli was not on the plate and it would be out momentarily. It actually never came. The final insult was when the bill was presented. The charge for the sword fish was $38.00 for a relatively small portion. We know that prices are rising but to get poor service at a premium price is very disappointing.
Old 03-06-2022, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Probably best to order a chop at the Chop House and swordfish at Blue Fin.
Old 03-06-2022, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eray0141 View Post
Beware of the Chop House. On Friday March 5th we had a birthday celebration at the Chop House. Our table was ready at the reserved time and we were greeted by our server. I ordered the catch of the day which was sword fish along with potato and broccoli. When our meals were delivered, mine was not. The server said that it was not prepared as I ordered and it would be out soon. It finally arrived (partially) when everyone else had eaten almost half or more of theirs. The broccolli was not on the plate and it would be out momentarily. It actually never came. The final insult was when the bill was presented. The charge for the sword fish was $38.00 for a relatively small portion. We know that prices are rising but to get poor service at a premium price is very disappointing.
Next time ask the price if you don't see it.

Here is a thread on Grouper at the Chop House with 175 plus posts.

Chop House $43 grouper!!!
Old 03-06-2022, 02:52 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

So, we are supposed to stay away from Chop House because you had a bad experience? Stuff happens from time to time and it can be annoying, however have you never made a mistake in your life?
Old 03-06-2022, 03:26 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,963 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Just a general statement we eat out frequently in The Villages. Last week we stayed with vacationing friends in Orlando ate out every night including Disney Springs. Prices were very reasonable as compared to here and portions generous. Convenience is great but a week away from the bubble I feel we are being taken for a ride. Only an opinion.
Old 03-06-2022, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
We had a somewhat similar experience: VERY tough chateaubriand, a broccoli side that was mush, lukewarm coffee (twice) and barely so-so service. If we were charged $50- to $70 I'd have been a little peeved at most. However for a total price of $150 + for two people...well, we expected a lot better. This was on a Friday night, by the way, which meant the A team was on the floor.

We won't be going back. We patronize instead the Legacy Restaurant at Nancy Lopez. Top-of-the-line service, generous portions no matter when you go, and excellent fare: their chateaubriand was melt-in-your-mouth tender and far more flavorful than that served up by Chop House.
Old 03-06-2022, 04:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

When a restaurant offers a special best to ask the price as often it is rather high.
Old 03-06-2022, 06:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

IMHO, the Chop House is one of the better eateries ...

that said, as an earlier post said, you don't order fish at a steak house,
and you don't order steak at a fish house
Old 03-06-2022, 07:14 PM
Gold member

Always ask what the special will cost if they don't volunteer the information up front. I hope you spoke to the manager before complaining in social media
Old 03-06-2022, 09:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

We have been once with no plans to return. Would rather go to Texas Roadhouse.

Anyway you should have received a reduced price especially since you never go your full meal. Not a good way to run a business.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:51 AM
Veteran member

What did the manager say when you brought this to their attention? The time to deal with these issues is right then. Before you pay the bill.
Old 03-07-2022, 05:54 AM
Veteran member

Wow, sure a reason to beware of the Chop House - not. Might be good to check prices first ( fish is expensive ).
Old 03-07-2022, 05:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,604 Times in 942 Posts

I was at the Chop House Friday and had a GREAT experience.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:15 AM
Veteran member

Having owned and operated restaurants for many years , I feel qualified to chime in, kitchens are geared to prepare menu items as printed ,when “special” requests are made it screws up the flow of production, just order as the menu describes it with a lot less disappointment. Special requests are usually handled properly.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:42 AM

I had the worst steak ever at the chop House so I will never order steak from there again. The chicken dish was excellent and Ahi Tuna appetizer is fabulous. I will stick to those two dishes when I go there. If I complain to the manager they would take it off the bill and I don't want them to do that. One time I pointed it out after I paid the bill and was walking out the door and the manager and I had to go back and forth because he wanted to take it off the bill. Restaurants have suffered so much in the past that I'd rather just stick to what I find good and that's it.
Closed Thread

Tags
chop, house, server, ordered, sword

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.