Blue Fin Salmon Question

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2019, 06:18 AM
Veteran member
Default Blue Fin Salmon Question

We’ve had various food at this restaurant that we’ve been happy with. The fish and chips are really good. Recently for a late lunch we stopped by and I tried the grilled salmon for the first time there. I’ve only started eating salmon over the last couple years as a result of a health concern. The salmon had that unappetizing gray area on the underside. Same thing at Cody’s when I’ve ordered the salmon. Up north our “go to” restaurant serves the salmon with no gray area underneath. All you salmon experts out there, is it normal for salmon to be served with this unappetizing (in my opinion) gray area or not?
Old 10-23-2019, 07:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

The grey area is where additional fat is store.When prepping for cooking it's the discretion of the chef whether to remove or not.
I agree it's not eye appealing but still taste full.You can ask to have it removed before cooking if you find it offensive.
Salmon is my go to fish
Old 10-23-2019, 07:09 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,336 Posts

Sometimes the healthy part doesn't taste as good, but good for you. Just eat around the dark meat, or mix.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
The grey area is where additional fat is store.When prepping for cooking it's the discretion of the chef whether to remove or not.
I agree it's not eye appealing but still taste full.You can ask to have it removed before cooking if you find it offensive.
Salmon is my go to fish
Thanks for the reply. I’ve read that there are quite a few nutrients in this area. I was just confused why some restaurants remove it and some leave it. I guess it’s not an indication of the quality of the restaurant.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Was your salmon served skin-on or skin-off? Many times the crispy skin is a favorite part for the diner, in which case the grayish-brown part has to come with it.

When I roast my skin-on salmon, I can easily take the skin and brown part off afterward. The dog loves it, and it's good for him. If I buy skinned salmon, the brown part has been removed.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

We have salmon - at home - about twice per week. Our fav in-home meal. Very simple to prepare and cook, and so yummy.

We get ours at Aldi or Neigh WM. Typically a pound piece - nice and thick with skin on. About $8 total. I cut the piece in half, then half again. Put 2 pieces in a baggie the fridge for another meal.

Cooking. Prep salmon with a bit of potassium salt, Ms Dash, and Sprinkle of basil. Non-stick pan on med-high. Small drizzle of olive oil, then place pieces skin down and cook for about 2 min. Tongs to flip over, and take the skin off - place the 'fat side' down on the skillet to crisp. The "gray" side of the salmon will now be 'up'. Cook for another 2 min. Take out the crispy skin onto the dish.

2 options for 'sauce'.

1. Before flipping salmon over to cook the 'gray' side - drizzle about 2 tsp of maple syrup onto the salmon and flip to cook for about 1 more min tops. I like my salmon med - hers rare, so her piece comes off onto the dish 30 secs sooner. When both pieces are out to rest, I put a bit of water into the pan to thin the rest of the juices/syrup, and drizzle over the cooked salmon on plates.

2. While salmon is cooking, in small non-stick pan, a tbsp of sourcream (or plain yougurt) to warm, a bit of pepper, and good portion of dill. sautee' to a creamy stage. When salmon is done and plated, drizzle all over the salmon.

Both ways are SO yummy served with light sides dishes. BTW - the "gray" side is cooked and all the Omega-stuff is saved and consumed. And the salmon skin is like bacon...but good for you...
Old 10-23-2019, 09:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Was your salmon served skin-on or skin-off? Many times the crispy skin is a favorite part for the diner, in which case the grayish-brown part has to come with it.

When I roast my skin-on salmon, I can easily take the skin and brown part off afterward. The dog loves it, and it's good for him. If I buy skinned salmon, the brown part has been removed.
Skin-off.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
We have salmon - at home - about twice per week. Our fav in-home meal. Very simple to prepare and cook, and so yummy.

We get ours at Aldi or Neigh WM. Typically a pound piece - nice and thick with skin on. About $8 total. I cut the piece in half, then half again. Put 2 pieces in a baggie the fridge for another meal.

Cooking. Prep salmon with a bit of potassium salt, Ms Dash, and Sprinkle of basil. Non-stick pan on med-high. Small drizzle of olive oil, then place pieces skin down and cook for about 2 min. Tongs to flip over, and take the skin off - place the 'fat side' down on the skillet to crisp. The "gray" side of the salmon will now be 'up'. Cook for another 2 min. Take out the crispy skin onto the dish.

2 options for 'sauce'.

1. Before flipping salmon over to cook the 'gray' side - drizzle about 2 tsp of maple syrup onto the salmon and flip to cook for about 1 more min tops. I like my salmon med - hers rare, so her piece comes off onto the dish 30 secs sooner. When both pieces are out to rest, I put a bit of water into the pan to thin the rest of the juices/syrup, and drizzle over the cooked salmon on plates.

2. While salmon is cooking, in small non-stick pan, a tbsp of sourcream (or plain yougurt) to warm, a bit of pepper, and good portion of dill. sautee' to a creamy stage. When salmon is done and plated, drizzle all over the salmon.

Both ways are SO yummy served with light sides dishes. BTW - the "gray" side is cooked and all the Omega-stuff is saved and consumed. And the salmon skin is like bacon...but good for you...
Thank you for the great recipe!
Old 10-24-2019, 07:19 AM
Sage

1 lb. salmon w/skin on. Cover in Newman's honey mustard. Bake for 18 minutes. Served over mashed baked potato w/vegetable side. Easy and great.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

When grilling salmon I remove the skin on the flip. Just skimming with the spatula does it. No way am I eating that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2019, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
1 lb. salmon w/skin on. Cover in Newman's honey mustard. Bake for 18 minutes. Served over mashed baked potato w/vegetable side. Easy and great.
I bake them too. Two planks, Salt, pepper, dill, cover with mustard (never tried sweet), sprinkle panko on top and paprika, bake 18-20 minutes at 275 (low temp, but it works).

The original recipe called for coating the planks with olive oil, but I don't see the need. You can put asparagus on a sheet pan, bake about 10 minutes first, then add salmon. Easy. Leftovers are good, either reheated or not.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:16 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

King salmon last year in Alaska ->
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1530.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	81427   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1602.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	81428  
Old 10-24-2019, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,349 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
King salmon last year in Alaska ->
Proper Salmon!
The majority of prepacked and store salmon is farmed. You can tell it by the pronounced fat lines.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I bake them too. Two planks, Salt, pepper, dill, cover with mustard (never tried sweet), sprinkle panko on top and paprika, bake 18-20 minutes at 275 (low temp, but it works).

The original recipe called for coating the planks with olive oil, but I don't see the need. You can put asparagus on a sheet pan, bake about 10 minutes first, then add salmon. Easy. Leftovers are good, either reheated or not.
I usually add the asparagus in the oven about halfway thru cooking. Try adding a little honey to the fish before cooking.
Closed Thread

Tags
salmon, gray, area, we’ve, i’ve

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.