Bonefish Grill to close 14 locations

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2016, 04:10 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

Our last two visits to Bonefish were disappointing. Little atmosphere as the noise level was beyond what we expect for the check we got for average seafood at best. Yes, we will likely return because our friends like Bonefish and would hate them to close because of us. They seem too busy to close for me.

Seriously, like Nancy Lopez's a bit better for seafood and the atmosphere is much better IMHO.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Sadly chains don't make their own food. If there is a mom and pop place it's where we eat out otherwise we, our kids and grands eat at home. That's what happens when you have vegetarians, vegans, gluten free, organic, and non gmo.
It's easier to go to farmers market and steam dinner.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:47 AM

I located an article that has more info. They are closing 14 of 210 Bonefish restaurants based on performance so I doubt that the Buffalo Ridge location will be one of them.

I tend to avoid 'chain' type restaurants, but I do like the Bonefish much more than Red Lobster (which is ludicrously overpriced for the food they serve).

I located the 4th Qtr Report and it does not contain any statement about a 'revolt by the younger generation', just that it is part of a restructuring of Bonefiish.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default OhioBuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Blooming corp has just announced it will be closing 14 Bonefish Locations and the corp locations -such as Carrabbas & Flemings--the report has stated there i a growing revolt against corp.chain restaurants by the younger generation.

Hope our Bone is not on the chopping block.
Well personally I think it's just because a lot of people want cheaper places to eat & the ones you mentioned aren't that cheap to eat at. As a matter of fact most places here in the Villages are more expensive than the same ones outside the Villages. Personally when we bought here as a full time resident, I was under the impression that home owners here got better deals, but they don't, anyone can come here & eat, buy clothing, for the same so-called deal that I thought we were to get!
Old 04-04-2016, 08:52 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
....Personally when we bought here as a full time resident, I was under the impression that home owners here got better deals, but they don't, anyone can come here & eat, buy clothing, for the same so-called deal that I thought we were to get!
Seriously?? Who on God's Green Earth gave you that impression??
Old 04-04-2016, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Well personally I think it's just because a lot of people want cheaper places to eat & the ones you mentioned aren't that cheap to eat at. As a matter of fact most places here in the Villages are more expensive than the same ones outside the Villages. Personally when we bought here as a full time resident, I was under the impression that home owners here got better deals, but they don't, anyone can come here & eat, buy clothing, for the same so-called deal that I thought we were to get!

I agree that Villagers are usually very thrifty. I also agree that even McDonalds seems more expensive here in The Villages, maybe because they CAN charge more and they do, kind of like tourist destinations everywhere.

I am surprised that you thought that the businesses weren't open to the surrounding public. I thought the "deal" was pretty, nicely kept and living among grownups.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:50 AM

Maybe it is just me, but I cannot find the list of the store closings from the original e-mail
Old 04-04-2016, 10:56 AM

By the way, the only way to find it on line is to type in Bloomin corp. NOT Blooming
Old 04-04-2016, 03:21 PM

You may not realize it but most chain restaurants don't cook anything. Their entrees come in prepackaged ready to be heated. Olive Garden for example has no kitchen except to prepare the salad ,heat bread and heat the prepackaged item
Old 04-04-2016, 04:05 PM
Gold member

We haven't visited Bonefish in some time bit my impression of Bonefish was that the food was mediocre, service was hit or miss and prices were a little too high. We took it off our list long ago.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:03 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetop View Post
If The Villages, as a demographic, does not fit the rebranding strategy (that seems to be geared toward the Millennials) they will pull out of the area. TGI Fridays did not leave because they were not making money...it was because they are refocusing their efforts on a different market. Same thing going on here.
TGI pulled out because the chain went belly up. Nothing to do with the Villages demo. Any chain that does well here will stay here.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:15 PM
Gold member

And I might add that at least most Boomers have a more realistic take on restaurant food than the so-called millennials. Non GMO food? Then you want millions of people around the world to die of starvation while you feel good about your choices. Organic only? Then you want a Chipotle experience playing Russian Roulette with e coli. Food grows in dirt. Dirt has bacteria.

I've been in the restaurant business for over 30 years. I can tell you that any restaurant that does not deliver a quality, good tasting, cooked correct product will not be in business long. I've eaten at the Buffalo Ridge Bonefish and at other locations of the chain. Are there differences? Yes. Whose fault is that? Corporate for not getting consistency across the chain. Does that make them a bad chain? No. You have a meal you were not happy with, let them know. It's how things get fixed.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:27 PM
Sage
Default T.G.I. Fridays still in business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
TGI pulled out because the chain went belly up. Nothing to do with the Villages demo. Any chain that does well here will stay here.
T.G.I. Fridays has not gone out of business. They still have many locations in the U.S. and overseas including several Florida locations: Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, Gainesville, Pensacola, Panama City, Fort Myers, Fort Lauderdale and several other cities in Florida.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
T.G.I. Fridays has not gone out of business. They still have many locations in the U.S. and overseas including several Florida locations: Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, Gainesville, Pensacola, Panama City, Fort Myers, Fort Lauderdale and several other cities in Florida.
That is correct. And, it is my understanding that The Villages location closed because the Franchisee held the lease and did not want to re-up.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:18 AM
Gold member

Not to split hairs but the parent company sold off most of it's remaining US based units to franchisees then sold the company to a venture capital group due to declining sales. US store counts have declined precipitously as many franchisees have closed their restaurants. TGI now has more units overseas than in the US, which seems to be the norm for chains that are in trouble here. To get back on point, when a chain starts to suffer sales declines, it's usually a result of failing to provide a quality product and experience to the customer or failing to remain relevant to that customer. For me, TGIF went off of my list when I started reading the calorie counts for their dishes.
Closed Thread

Tags
locations, corp, bonefish, restaurants, corp.chain, younger, revolt, growing, chopping, block, hope, bone, generation, flemings--the, announced, blooming, close, grill, carrabbas, report, stated, closing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.