Brooklyn Bagels

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2011, 12:10 AM
Default Brooklyn Bagels

I know there is a thread below (Opening Soon or Coming Soon) that deals with this restaurant, but I thought it deserved one with the name actually in print.

It is definitely open (Crossroads Shopping Center south of Honey Baked Ham), and I must say that I had the best bagel there that I've ever eaten. None before even compare. I had the everything variety, and the bottom of the bagel was as loaded as the top. The place was busy, but I didn't notice any glitches. Looking forward to my next visit!
Old 07-29-2011, 05:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy48 View Post

It is definitely open (Crossroads Shopping Center south of Honey Baked Ham), and I must say that I had the best bagel there that I've ever eaten. None before even compare. I had the everything variety, and the bottom of the bagel was as loaded as the top.
I agree, Jazzy! We had the bagels yesterday and brought a baker's dozen home. I know that this restaraunt is out of California, but these bagels were the closest to New York bagels as you are going to get! Delicious!!

Now...if only someone would bake a nice, crispy loaf of italian bread...
Old 07-29-2011, 07:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Alright folks. I like good food as well as the next but I must have been an adult before I had my first bagel. They weren't part of my growing up experience in Ohio.

So...I like an onion Lenders bagel toasted with cream cheese. And I like the bagels that come with breakfast at TooJays...but I am not versed in what makes a GREAT bagel.

Can you tell this bagel challenged person what it is? Chewiness, flavor...density???
Old 07-29-2011, 08:46 AM

It is the chewiness, density, crunchy outside, and no skimping on the toppings. I too thought is was the best bagel I have had outside of New York. The owner was originally from Brooklyn and his first store was in South Florida. Larry King became an investor and they recently opened in Beverly Hills. My only problem with them is the location. It is not golf cart accessible.

MinnieM
Old 07-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Sage
Default Will try when I'm back

Gotta check this place out when I'm back in TV in October. Love love love a good bagel. Thanks for the information.

Love Panera Bread's bagels. Too bad there isn't an Einstein Brother's Bagel location in TV. They would do well there.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

These are the best bagels this side of Flatbush Avenue.

Gracie; FYI Lenders is to Bagels what ToFU is to Steak.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Went to the Brooklyn Bagel Co. and all I can say is now I can write bagels off my list of things I miss. They were excellent. Next to work on is pizza and Italian beef.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:05 PM

I read all about their process of using Brooklynized water to get their bagels to taste so good. I haven't tried their bagels yet but am looking forward to comparing them to H&H Bagels when I get to TV next week.
Larry
Old 07-30-2011, 07:03 AM

Now...if only someone would bake a nice, crispy loaf of italian bread...[/QUOTE]

Ditto on the italian bread!!!
Old 07-30-2011, 07:15 AM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default Here. Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylake1 View Post
Now...if only someone would bake a nice, crispy loaf of italian bread...
Ditto on the italian bread!!![/QUOTE]

It's getting hard to find real "crusty" Italian bread, even up here in the north!
Old 07-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up Bagels

One of the reasons it is hard to duplicate the "breads", (e.g. hardrolls, etc.)
from New York City is because of the water. It comes from the reservoir's about 70 miles north of New York City and NYC water has been voted one of the best drinking waters in the US. A baker in Miami tried to dublicate the hard
rolls from NYC and could not do it. He finally trucked in water from NY and made the perfect NYC hard roll. The reservoir's are just north of Kingston
New York.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:11 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
One of the reasons it is hard to duplicate the "breads", (e.g. hardrolls, etc.)
from New York City is because of the water. It comes from the reservoir's about 70 miles north of New York City and NYC water has been voted one of the best drinking waters in the US. A baker in Miami tried to dublicate the hard
rolls from NYC and could not do it. He finally trucked in water from NY and made the perfect NYC hard roll. The reservoir's are just north of Kingston
New York.
Actually the water is from a lot of places. The Ashokan reservoir is north of Kingston and there are several to the west going almost to the Delaware river in the Catskill and Delaware systems. There are a dozen or so reservoirs on the east side of the Hudson river in the Croton system. Those are down in Westchester and up in Putnam and Dutchess counties.
NYC water is definitely good but since it comes from so many areas I don't think it can be the major factor in bread, bagels or pizza.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:31 PM

I live in Canton, Ga.and in the south everyone advertizes {New York Style, whatever!] So when We tried a new place,its really good ,so I told the owner who was born and rised in Italy,and lived in New York it was the closest pizza to New York I"ve had since we left there. His reply was Thank You , but not quite the same because the water in N.Y. makes the differance!!

Last edited by old moe; 07-30-2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: omition
Old 07-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Veteran member

We tried Brooklyn Water Bagels this week, and they are indeed very good. I'm not too sure about the NY water theory though. Whenever I'm at our son's home in Apopka, we try to go to Einstein Bros in Altamonte Springs for their bagels, and we find them great. So, while we enjoy both, Einstein's rock with whatever water their using.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old moe View Post
I live in Canton, Ga.and in the south everyone advertizes {New York Style, whatever!] So when We tried a new place,its really good ,so I told the owner who was born and rised in Italy,and lived in New York it was the closest pizza to New York I"ve had since we left there. His reply was Thank You , but not quite the same because the water in N.Y. makes the differance!!
See, even the pizzeria owner believed that old myth. If you ask many, if not most New Yorkers where their water comes from they'll tell you the faucet. They have no idea where the water originates. There used to be reservoirs out on Long Island too. I don't know if they are still in use or not.

Last edited by bluedog103; 07-30-2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: incomplete
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.