Brooklyn Water Bagels - finally tried them.

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2011, 08:01 AM
Gold member

All this talk about bagels, bialys, lox, and nova salmon got me thinking about another Jewish delicacy I haven’t had in ages. Real homemade meat knishes.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleevee View Post
This Brooklyn lox lover just looked up the price of belly lox at Zabar's in NYC........shopped there often when lox (very very thin) was about $25.00 a lb..........are you ready...........$49.00 .....Russ & Daughter's about $37.00 per lb.

I, too, think that the Brooklyn Bagel Co., has the best bagels. I've had in years.......sorry Staten Island....

Bring on the Bialy's!!!!!!
OOOOh, do I miss Zabars! As a kid I would spend every summer in the Catskills. My grandfather, who worked in Manhattan, would come up to our lake house every Friday night with bags of bagels, bialys, nova, sturgeon, creamed herring, whitefish, kosher pickles, knishes, rye breads, corned beef, and Cel-Ray soda--we would feast every weekend.

Wow, thanks for bringing back grat memories.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 10-31-2011, 05:04 PM
Veteran member
Default bagels, and lox, and knishes...oh my!

these bagels are just ok...and way over-priced. panera's are a better deal. or, just bring a bushel load back every time you return from up north!

and liver knishes....do they even make them anymore? so good.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
This Brooklyn lox lover just looked up the price of belly lox at Zabar's in NYC........shopped there often when lox (very very thin) was about $25.00 a lb..........are you ready...........$49.00 .....Russ & Daughter's about $37.00 per lb.

I, too, think that the Brooklyn Bagel Co., has the best bagels. I've had in years.......sorry Staten Island....

Bring on the Bialy's!!!!!!
Hi Phyllis,

Robb has at least 5 pounds of Kenai River Reds and Silvers(salmon) in the smoker, should be finished by the time we get home from work.

Want me to bring you some? We will be there 5 weeks from today.

Sorry for the hijack, can't wait to try the bagels.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:08 AM
Location: Living in Buttonwood. lived in New York our entire lives.

Quote:
This former Brooklyn, Staten Island girl agrees !!! ...my only complaint, where are the Bialy's????
So true Shirleevee....the first time I walked into Brooklyn Water Bagel, that's exactly what I asked..."What! No Bialeys?". Oh well, can't have everything. I do think the bagels are the closest you can get to the bagels I grew up with in Brooklyn. When we moved to Staten Island, I still preferred the Brooklyn Bagels. Now, I'm here in TV since Sep. 2011, and happily I can have my Brooklyn Bagels again. Ciao, Trish
Old 11-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Red face all that and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
First thing is that the price I saw for a bagel at Brooklyn Water Bagels on this forum was incorrect. The price for 1 bagel is $1.29. For a baker's dozen (13), it's $11.99, which comes to less than a $1 a bagel.

Next thing is the bagels are excellent. Not a donut shaped piece of bread like you get at Dunkin' Donuts for $.99, but a real honest to goodness boiled, then baked little piece of heaven.

You cannot compare these to any other so-called bagel I've had in Florida, but they're definitely on a par with any bagel you might get up north in the NY, NJ area. Some bagel shops up north might make them a bit bigger than these, but not much better.

I usually transport bagels down from NJ when I visit. I won't have to do that anymore if Brooklyn Water Bagels succeed in their business here.

If you haven't tried them yet, please do, you won't be disappointed. It's just too bad they're not golf cart accessible.
all the fixin's for a great egg cream....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.