Burke's. BBQ next week (NOW OPEN)

Closed Thread
Old 01-24-2013, 09:53 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wilmington Ohio, bought in Hadley Village January 2009, move when we can retire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
I had a conversation with Tim Burke last week about scheduling a "grand opening" celebration with music and entertainment when he is ready to open.. He is a very smart young man and informed me that he wanted to get all his ducks in a row with a "soft opening" before he had any kind of grand opening celebration. I offered him the opportunity of suggesting an entertainer for his opening and also that I would post information on facebook and TOTV to add to his publicity plans. He was very interested but really wanted to make sure his staff and menu was ready before he did this. I was quite impressed with his business savy and he suggested that he would get back to me when he is ready. I think he really will. I'm looking forward to this restaurant opening and think it could add a lot of opportunity to our southern resident of the villages. We definitely need a new restaurant on 466A.
Sounds wonderful, you are SO good at this....perhaps we can meet...heading to The Villages in 6 hours....
Old 01-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,349 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Couldn't find their hours noted anywhere.............so I gave them a ring. (352) 787-4227

Monday - Thursday 10:30 a.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Friday - Saturday 10:30 a.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Sunday closed

They're going to see how the "staying open til 9:30" on Sat. and Sun. goes. The young lady on the phone said they're going to try it to see how it works out. Might wind up being just til 8:30.

Bill
What brilliant idea.............actually call and ask!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Veteran member

Stopped in today about 3:30, They were out of pulled pork so I got the sliced pork sandwich.
They said by 5 pm they would have all new fresh food out. They offer a few types of sandwich rolls but only had white when I got there. The sliced pork didn't have much flavor but adding some barbecue sauce made it OK. Cafeteria style, no waitstaff which is fine by me. Many other interesting things on the menu that I'll try. I think it will be a good spot for an inexpensive meal close by.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug11 View Post
....mostly covered outdoor seating with a few seats indoors....
I wish them the best, but have to question mostly outdoor seating. Now in the winter it would be great, but the majority of the year no way. Can't imagine anyone wanting to set outside through the summer in 90+ temps.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:51 PM
Veteran member
Default the opposite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
I wish them the best, but have to question mostly outdoor seating. Now in the winter it would be great, but the majority of the year no way. Can't imagine anyone wanting to set outside through the summer in 90+ temps.
I would have thought the opposite; who would want to sit outdoors in the winter in the evening?
summers here are lovely!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:24 PM

Went there tonight and the food was great..Had the pulled pork with sweet potato pecan cassrole and apples..Best BBQ we have had here and the sides were outstanding..
The only downside was the staff is still in training but the quality of the food and people there more than made up for the slower service..
Old 01-24-2013, 10:28 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsl1998 View Post
Sounds wonderful, you are SO good at this....perhaps we can meet...heading to The Villages in 6 hours....
Please, please, lets try to meet up this trip. We always say it but never do... I promise to keep my calendar open. Have a safe trip down. See ya soon, Deb.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 01-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy View Post
I would have thought the opposite; who would want to sit outdoors in the winter in the evening?
summers here are lovely!
My experience, though may not be typical, is BBQ places do most of their business for lunch. Also, being in my 60th year in Florida,
find nothing "lovely" about the evenings when afternoon thunderstorms are expected almost every day. Remember it doesn't get dark until very late and stays hot until then. Late April and most of May you will experience Love Bugs everywhere. You won't find many people choosing to set outside.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:26 PM
Email Reported As Spam

This restaurant lost me with the first come first serve requirement. Something about having to race to a restaurant hopefully to have something left just doen't sit well for me.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:33 PM
Sage

Well, it took 24 posts..................to get the first negative about Burke's.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
My experience, though may not be typical, is BBQ places do most of their business for lunch. Also, being in my 60th year in Florida,
find nothing "lovely" about the evenings when afternoon thunderstorms are expected almost every day. Remember it doesn't get dark until very late and stays hot until then. Late April and most of May you will experience Love Bugs everywhere. You won't find many people choosing to set outside.
Been here in Florida for 13 years and don't find it all that bad!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Sage

I will be trying that soon, and when I do, since they own all that nursery land, I am going to ask if they will consider a golf cart path from behind the gas station.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:35 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

Oakwood's Baby Back Ribs are better---Because Burke's does not serve them as noted on their menu. We were disappointed about that but they have plenty of other options. We went today around 3:30 to get pulled pork to take home. They were out of pulled pork shoulder---only meat left was beef sausage and chicken. We passed as we really wanted to try their barbeque pork to return around 5:00 when they said they would have it. At 4:45 my wife called our order in for carry out. She ask did they have the pork shoulder, told they did and placed our order. When I went to pick it up at 5:15, I was told they didn't have it yet and wasn't sure but could have it by 6:00. I changed the order to pork spareribs along with our sides. However, the young lady ring them up as something else and was about to cheat herself out of a little over $5.00. Pointing that out to her---we got "straight" and I left. The pork spareribs were okay (We prefer baby backs) but the sides were very good. Obviously, Burke's is overwhelmed with more business than they can handle and needs time to debug their system. We will give them another try in a month or so when "things" calm.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Platinum member

We ate there this evening. We liked it. The barbeque is rather a cross between Texas barbeque (w/o mesquite) and St. Louis dry rub.
No vinegar based sauce, and the meat comes bare- you put your selected sauce on to your liking. Sides have a regional twist too. BBq beans and potato salad have a bit of heat! Different for me, but I liked it!

I had a pulled pork sandwich w/o sauce, just so I could fully taste the meat. The meat was good, moist and tender and flavorful. Good cut of pork- no fat. Generous helping as well.

They also have spare ribs (no baby back ribs on the menu), brisket,
smoked beef sausage, smoked turkey breast and roast chicken halves.
Met the owner and liked him. Looks like he will be hands on daily. He is already looking at ways to improve whatever he can. Tonight they were packed.

The place is VERY casual, take out is from a walk-up window outside, service is one at a time, cafeteria style.
Outdoor seating is under roof, with ceiling fans and picnic benches. Indoor seating is limited.

We wish them well and will return again!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.