Bye-Bye Buffets ---Sweet Tomatoes closing 97 stores

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2020, 08:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithos View Post
From a health standpoint a good salad bar was one of the best options for dining out. Especially if you are plant based like me. Most salads from menus are ridiculously overpriced and not that good. But the average person does gorge themselves at buffets preferring the high fat and high calorie foods. So maybe this will prevent a few heart attacks and strokes as well.
Healthy food definitely. And it is nice to be able to create your own salad. But buffets are not healthy because they are so easily contaminated. Kids putting serving spoons in their mouth as they go through the line, people touching food But not taking it, multiple hands touching the same serving utensils, etc.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,665 Times in 1,503 Posts
Default Sweet tomatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydavid View Post
Never heard of Sweet Tomatoes
Sweet Tomatoes aka The Soup Plantation is a restaurant with a huge salad bar right inside the front door. Once you get past the cash register there are other food and drink stations where you pick up various soups, breads, pizza, drinks and dessert items. Sort of a mostly vegetarian buffet.
My wife really liked it because she felt it forced her to eat more healthy. I, on the other hand, never liked the idea of food (especially raw food) being left exposed for extended periods of time.
Some buffet type restaurants may be able to convert to cafeteria mode fairly easily. We will have to wait and see.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:02 AM

Buffets are generally 'evil' on several levels, but I have been a fan of Soup Plantation for years, starting in 1992 when I moved to Broward County, FL. I will miss Sweet Tomatoes. Salad bar at Ruby Tuesday's was always good too.

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 05-09-2020, 09:31 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,549 Times in 418 Posts

This is odd because Boston Lobster Feast on I drive i n Orlando opened up yesterday.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
What a shame. Another casualty of the shutdown, not the virus. Expect more soon.
Yes because of virus. Too hard to protect people and food in this type restaurant. And when you also have to take away seating, profit just can’t be made. No liquor sales to fall back on either.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:33 AM
theruizs

Stand by and watch the goings-on at a busy buffet for about an hour. If what you see doesn’t turn you off to buffet food, then go for it. But for us, the extra cost of menu pricing is worth it to have far fewer hands on and around our food before we eat it. And we decided that long before covid-19.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:39 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Those mocking cheap buffets should maybe check their privilege. For a lot of Dads and Moms, it's the only place they can afford to take their kids.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:06 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
Some people with minivans who normally drink cheap wine like to splurge a little when they can finally afford a vacation.

Very true.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:12 AM
Question Sweet Tomato

Have you ever been inside a restaurant kitchen? Don't think things are the cleanliest there; plus they don't use gloves or hair nets, some smoke and who knows about the spitting in your food!!!!! Same for waiters and waitresses!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
Stand by and watch the goings-on at a busy buffet for about an hour. If what you see doesn’t turn you off to buffet food, then go for it. But for us, the extra cost of menu pricing is worth it to have far fewer hands on and around our food before we eat it. And we decided that long before covid-19.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45candyapple View Post
Have you ever been inside a restaurant kitchen? Don't think things are the cleanliest there; plus they don't use gloves or hair nets, some smoke and who knows about the spitting in your food!!!!! Same for waiters and waitresses!!!

I think there are a lot (big, big majority) of cooks, chefs, waiters, waitresses, bartenders, etc., who work very hard and take pride in the jobs and are sanitary. I think the prior poster was talking about clueless people going down a buff-line and their poor habits.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:28 AM

I understand that Golden Corral is pivoting to a Cafeteria style instead of Buffet style. Servers will place food on your plate or covered containers can be selected for some items. Also, a Family Style, where items are brought to your table may be available. Actually sounds better and safer than the old buffet style.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha View Post
I understand that Golden Corral is pivoting to a Cafeteria style instead of Buffet style. Servers will place food on your plate or covered containers can be selected for some items. Also, a Family Style, where items are brought to your table may be available. Actually sounds better and safer than the old buffet style.

Interesting concept. That chain was kinda in a box.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithos View Post
From a health standpoint a good salad bar was one of the best options for dining out. Especially if you are plant based like me. Most salads from menus are ridiculously overpriced and not that good. But the average person does gorge themselves at buffets preferring the high fat and high calorie foods. So maybe this will prevent a few heart attacks and strokes as well.
No, they just go to Kentucky fried chicken or IHOP.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianalea View Post
Would love if a Chipotle would open up down here! Most people can't say the name right, but they have great food 👍
Many people can’t even say the English words foliage and verbiage right, but life goes on.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:48 AM
Default The big picture

Everyone is focusing on the "micro" changes that have occurred and will continue to occur because of the coronavirus. If you step back and focus on the "macro" picture, I believe you will see very different future in the US, in the world, and even in The Villages over the course of the next few years. Things will not get back to normal in my opinion, but instead will evolve into a new normal. The best advice is to stay flexible, stay safe, prepare to adapt (difficult for us seniors), and fight against negativity and harmful changes that may appear (reference article in The Daily Sun the other day about the rise of hate groups).
Closed Thread

Tags
bye-bye, buffets, sweet, tomatoes, closing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.