Bye bye Crispers

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2017, 07:49 AM
Dancing Thyme

This is very sad. At one time, especially when Publix owned it, it was really good. That is why it was selected to be our go-to place for the monthly luncheons. The sandwiches and soups were delicious. Once Publix sold it, it went downhill fast. Last few times I was there, the service was absolutely awful, the salads and soups were still good but they also got very pricey.

Admittedly, I have not been there or to a monthly luncheon for a few years, but its sad to see a nice place go under.

Thought I would share some of the pictures from '08 and '09. Hope I remember how to download them.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0220.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	68474   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Crispers Spec Jan 8 '10 #10.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	68475  

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 05-09-2017, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
This is very sad. At one time, especially when Publix owned it, it was really good. That is why it was selected to be our go-to place for the monthly luncheons. The sandwiches and soups were delicious. Once Publix sold it, it went downhill fast. Last few times I was there, the service was absolutely awful, the salads and soups were still good but they also got very pricey.

Admittedly, I have not been there or to a monthly luncheon for a few years, but its sad to see a nice place go under.

Thought I would share some of the pictures from '08 and '09. Hope I remember how to download them.
I came to some of those in 2007-2013 or so. You used to get Crispers once a week but switched to Subway a few years ago.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
It's the old they raised my rent and I can't afford it urban legend.

When one signs a lease with TV or anybody else for that matter, it includes the term. For example a 10 year lease or a 5 year lease with the rates spelled out. And the almost always include options for renewal in increments of 5 years (or more).

The "raise the rent" surprise is a rumor or an easy way to dodge the real reason for closure. The old he made me do it cover.
While your post is correct - a lease followed by renewal option(s) - eventually the agreement expires. The landlord offers a new agreement - presumably a lease with renewal option(s) - with a new monthly rent, potentially a higher monthly rent. The tenant decides whether or not to accept the new agreement.

"Long ago and far away" I experienced this scenario myself. I first tried to relocate my business, but eventually decided to close and liquidate it before the expiration of the original agreement.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:25 AM

Too bad. I love Crispers.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:20 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Sooo, Crispers is now...toast?

It got Soggy.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:58 AM
Default Southern Villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Perhaps the TOTV get-together should be located more conveniently. Like in Fenney which is scheduled to become the geographic center of TV in 2023. I have it on good authority that all the restaurants that have closed here since 1990 are relocating to a new square-based food mall in Southern Oaks.

The other thing, which I found very interesting, is that The Villages will ban the sale of electric carts next year. They no longer have the range to traverse TV and the VCDD is concerned about all the electric carts that might litter the MMPs when they die. Picture a scene like Saudi Arabia where smashed cars litter the landscape. [emoji33][emoji33]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
The answer may be hovercraft. No more crowding on the roads and they can't fly high enough to interfere with Twoplanes.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Kalosky View Post
Sad....I like Crispers. Really fresh salads and soups
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntmimi View Post
Too bad. I love Crispers.
Thanks for posting -- I thought I was their only happy customer!
I like the fact that there is no fried food at all.

Last edited by Barefoot; 07-22-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,348 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
It's the old they raised my rent and I can't afford it urban legend.

When one signs a lease with TV or anybody else for that matter, it includes the term. For example a 10 year lease or a 5 year lease with the rates spelled out. And the almost always include options for renewal in increments of 5 years (or more).

The "raise the rent" surprise is a rumor or an easy way to dodge the real reason for closure. The old he made me do it cover.
Great article in todays Daily Sun May 17, that confirms what you have been saying for many years.
The article, Talking with Scott Renick, Director of Commercial Development.
He dispels the many rumors regarding commercial leases. (I could not find the article online)
Old 05-17-2017, 11:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Great article in todays Daily Sun May 17, that confirms what you have been saying for many years.
The article, Talking with Scott Renick, Director of Commercial Development.
He dispels the many rumors regarding commercial leases. (I could not find the article online)

I agree...great article to dispell the rumors, which seem constant. Folks hear something (speculation, perhaps) and take it as fact and pass it on. IF something is commented upon enough, folks begin to believe it!!! As Marc Morse stated some years ago..."IF you haven't heard if from me OR read about it in The Daily Sun don't believe it!!!"
Old 07-22-2017, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

No great loss for me. We went there once and I would never go back. Renamed pizza flats or something like that and they were terrible and over priced. They also seemed to take forever to come out.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
The restaurant business in any market is " survival of the fittest" . The Developer is not stupid and does not raise the rent without a good knowledge of the "market value" of the property. Not greed - If enough customers come and the business model is efficient, the business will survive.
It will be interesting to see how long the old Crispers remains vacant.

That will be a good indication of "market value."
Old 07-23-2017, 08:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
It will be interesting to see how long the old Crispers remains vacant.

That will be a good indication of "market value."
I've read Habaneros Mexican Grill has leased the Crispers space.
Closed Thread

Tags
month, bye, makes, decisions, run

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.