CANE GARDEN - Not so good!

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2013, 09:42 AM
Default CANE GARDEN - Not so good!

In spite of Villagers popular opinion, CANE GARDEN doesn't do much for me anymore. My wife and I went there on 3/24/13 at 3:00 in the afternoon. Server was good, food was acceptable. But then I got sick, and I don't mean queasy. I got food poisoning, and I believe it was from the Rueben I ate. I called there the next day, asked for the manager, and after literally a 5 minute wait, someone came on the line and I told them my story. The reply was, AND I QUOTE, "you can't prove it so why are we talking about this...I'm busy" CLICK! We won't ever go back there again.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemckain View Post
In spite of Villagers popular opinion, CANE GARDEN doesn't do much for me anymore. My wife and I went there on 3/24/13 at 3:00 in the afternoon. Server was good, food was acceptable. But then I got sick, and I don't mean queasy. I got food poisoning, and I believe it was from the Rueben I ate. I called there the next day, asked for the manager, and after literally a 5 minute wait, someone came on the line and I told them my story. The reply was, AND I QUOTE, "you can't prove it so why are we talking about this...I'm busy" CLICK! We won't ever go back there again.
You should report your illness to the health department, maybe?
Old 03-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Email Reported As Spam

We were there Saturday for lunch. I agree. We sat outside and noticed that the birds are now taking over swooping down on tables for leftovers.

Were you the only person at your table that had the same meal? Did you ask them if anyone else reported a problem? Did you go to a doctor? Restaurants will never admit they had a problem and will insist that you had the stomach flu. I would report this incidnt to the health department. Unless you have proof chemical analysis,other people who got sick, etc you will be out of luck. Personally i believe you as my wife and I had been victims of food poisoning, In our situation it was a retirment party and half the people wo had soup got ill.

The manager's approach while no surprise is a real turnoff and suggests that not much will be done to correct any problems
Old 03-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemckain View Post
Did you seek medical attention? usually the culprit can be identified. The health dept. can sample the contents of the Reuben. First time being there? I noticed this is your first post. How were you able to pinpoint the culprit? Bad news for Cane Gardens if you're certain that this is what happened. Keep us all posted when the health Dept. concludes their investigation. I'd hate to see this resturant get a bad rap if they were not at fault.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Welcome to the Forum. What a very unhappy thing to have to tell us on your first post.

We haven't had any difficulties there in five years.

Food poisoning bacteria can happen to almost anything left unrefrigerated at home or in a restaurant..

You are right about the birds swooping around outside Rubicon.

We are going there tonight with Kathy and Glgene who are here feathering their new nest and Virtual Geezer is joining us, because he is heading North all too soon.

I am sorry you were sick Luke. I hope your doctor helped you.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:11 AM
Veteran member

very poor response by them to your phone call-that would bother me almost as much as the food poisoning
Old 03-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Eternal Member

It's very difficult to pin point food poisoning. I know sometimes people assume if they got sick, it was food poisoning.
Sometimes something we ate just didn't like something we ate earlier & they didn't get along in the tummy.
Not saying this is the case here, but I've had this happen.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,392 Posts

I would have confronted them face to face............so I knew who I was talking to. Did the OP really talk to management, or just some employee?
Old 03-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Sage
Default Sorry about your experience

Restaurants mostly get away with the fact that their food gave a person/people food poisoning. The response of Cane Garden was typical of most restaurants. You have no proof that it was their food that made you sick so nothing is done. Too bad for you. It's a very frustrating problem for consumers. Both my daughter and brother in law were victims of food poisoning but couldn't prove it. Not that many people would pursue it as its time consuming and you will probably lose in the long run. Sorry for four experience and I wish you could prove that it was their food that made you sick. Maybe if people started pursuing it then restaurants would be more careful,about what they served their customers.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Welcome to the Forum. What a very unhappy thing to have to tell us on your first post.

We haven't had any difficulties there in five years.

Food poisoning bacteria can happen to almost anything left unrefrigerated at home or in a restaurant..

You are right about the birds swooping around outside Rubicon.

We are going there tonight with Kathy and Glgene who are here feathering their new nest and Virtual Geezer is joining us, because he is heading North all too soon.

I am sorry you were sick Luke. I hope your doctor helped you.
Have a great time and may the Virtual Geezer enjoy his dinner (no bang bang shrimp?)
Old 03-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Veteran member

The really upsetting thing here is that the management/person on the phone made no apologies and actually seemed to be arrogant in dealing with this issue. Good customer service was not demonstrated.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Sage

Welcome to the TOTV forum, Luke. It is always a pleasure to welcome such a positive person with their first post!
Old 03-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy View Post
The really upsetting thing here is that the management/person on the phone made no apologies and actually seemed to be arrogant in dealing with this issue. Good customer service was not demonstrated.
Doesn't it almost always boil down to management? The situation could have been (and should have) handled entirely different with good management. We had an incident (order all messed up and food spilled) at our table at Havana C.C. about 3 years ago that was handled very poorly by the server and manager. On the positive side, we had a glass of wine spilled by the server at Bonifay and the situation include an apology, cleaning bill, and two free dinners. What a difference management can make!
Old 03-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Sage

I've thought Cane Garden is getting shabby and the workers a bit sloppy in manner and dress, but I'd hesitate to declare that it was their food that made the person sick, or that it was food that caused it.

I read that the onset of food poisoning is 6 to 48 hours. The cause could have been something eaten prior to that, or it could have been a stomach flu bug which has definitely been around here.

That said, the manager's alleged response is a bad reflection on how customers are viewed there (expendable and irrelevant).
Old 03-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I have been hesitant about ging to restaurants and now with news about china buffett and Cane Garden I am getting really really concerned
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.