CANE GARDEN - Not so good!

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2013, 07:42 AM
Gold member

Went there last night for supper, and not very impressed!! Waiter kept on saying, "will be with you shortly' but 12 minutes was shortly. She did apologize. Was looking for some fish (friday) but not many choices, without having fried. Part of the problem today is: much of the food restaurants in The Villages serve, is pre prepared (by delivery companies like Sysco). That means all they have to do is cook it. For instance, like bourbon salmon, it already comes with the sauce on it, and all they have to do is cook it. Even the deserts like pies, cakes comes in already wrapped in slices or pieces. I don't think you get that at Lopez, or Palmers. (Maybe others also) But yes, our tummys feel a little woozy this morning, after eating at Cane. Not going to knock them, just won't go back. I like healthier choices when eating out.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I guess billjay is lying?
Why would you make a post like that? Just having fun stirring the pot or you get your jollies by insulting people? You are implying I'm lying. Not appreciated. I just stated what I saw and heard when my spouse and I were at Havana. Perhaps the music was on break at that point, and that even though it was a warm beautiful night all the people were inside where we didn't see them. Who knows. Who cares.

Last edited by mickey100; 04-20-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Platinum member

We've always had good luck at Cane Garden CC. Their food seems to be the most consistent. 7 of us were there from 4:45 to 6pm and all enjoyed their meal.

Also, we were at Havana CC Tuesday night 6:30-8pm to hear Josh Leggett. New menu since we were there last and the food was good. Great service and entertainment. The manager was on site and constantly checking on customers. Big improvement from our last few times there.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:02 PM
Email Reported As Spam

The quality of their productis down trending. They also need to deal with the bird problem
Old 04-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Sage

Just in case some do not have this:

The Villages Gourmet Club Restaurant Review Site
Old 04-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Email Reported As Spam

The gourment club was very generous with their rating of Bonefish Grill
Old 04-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I like Cane Garden and Friday we had lunch after golf at Mallory. They had just repainted the outside and we were all saying how pretty it is to sit outside even if the birds get a bit frisky.

They have a lunch special and you get a salad or soup and a soft drink and a number of choices including three peices of their great pizza, a half sandwich...can't remember all the choices, but all that for 7.99. It was yummy.

Great service, too.

As I have said before, the country clubs here are not like the country clubs that many of us have left, but they sure as heck aren't that expensive either.

Glenview, Cane and Mallory are my favoites.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjay23 View Post
That's funny -- we were at Havana from 6:00 to 8:00 last night (Thursday)and it was crowded, Danny and Johnny were performing and many people were dancing and many more were eating. Which Havana were you looking at?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
We were there at about 6:30ish on the putting green, and only saw maybe 4-5 tables on the patio occupied. Didn't hear any music either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
Why would you make a post like that? Just having fun stirring the pot or you get your jollies by insulting people? You are implying I'm lying. Not appreciated. I just stated what I saw and heard when my spouse and I were at Havana. Perhaps the music was on break at that point, and that even though it was a warm beautiful night all the people were inside where we didn't see them. Who knows. Who cares.
Or why would you make a post like that? billjay made a statement and it appears that you were challenging what was posted....were you? If it is Who knows or Who cares....what was the point. Including the sentence "Perhaps the music.................we didn't see them. Would have changed the whole post.
Not stirring the pot or getting my jollies (whatever that means) and not insulting people.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Or why would you make a post like that? billjay made a statement and it appears that you were challenging what was posted....were you? If it is Who knows or Who cares....what was the point. Including the sentence "Perhaps the music.................we didn't see them. Would have changed the whole post.
Not stirring the pot or getting my jollies (whatever that means) and not insulting people.
Your list of quotes is incomplete. I actually posted first, and bill jay made a post challenging what I said. I simply replied back. Again, why are you so intent on making a mountain out of a molehill?
Old 04-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Oh well...............................
Old 04-20-2013, 05:44 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
Just in case some do not have this:

The Villages Gourmet Club Restaurant Review Site
Interesting but....... Jeffrey Paul's Chophouse with a higher rating than Vic Embers. Not IMHO.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:48 PM

I like Cane Gardens. The appetizers are very good.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:13 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyGirl View Post
We finally gave Havanna another chance Monday night and actually saw an improvement. The service was good, the food came out hot and tasty in a reasonable amount of time. I am encouraged.
We also tried Havana again recently and came away very impressed.
Skip 2
Old 04-21-2013, 11:39 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip2MySue View Post
We also tried Havana again recently and came away very impressed.
Skip 2
That's good to know. They've been up and down so much, I'm afraid to go - not knowing if it's going to be an "up week" or "down week" !

Skip 1
Old 04-22-2013, 11:37 AM

I am sorry to hear of your recent experience at CG. I'm wondering though if after being put on hold for 5 minutes if you had loss your patience and your comments to the Manager (or whomever) was such that the response was less than professional? We have eaten there many times with no problems whatsoever. It is often very difficult to determine whether or not your illness was directly attributed to your meal at CG, however, if you have determined that this was this case, it would have been smarter to contact the health department rather than the restaurant. After all, what did you expect them to say or do? I would suggest that if this happens again, regardless of the place, call the health department and make a report. They will do the rest....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.