Cane Garden, what happened??

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2012, 02:00 AM
Angry Cane Garden, what happened??

Two times in one week, I have gone for lunch. They cut a lot of things off the menu, including some good wraps,like the Thai chicken wrap, did away with the spinach salad with the toasted walnuts and chicken..etc. Today, my dining companion ordered a hamburger, one of their best sandwiches, and got what looked like a small sausage patty on a big bun. We got the pizza(no more choice of individual toppings) and my friends got salads. We sat in a table assigned, and were seated at 11:40. At 12:15, we were given our bills, and we paid them, and sat back a few minutes more to finish our drinks. We had not been in our seats for 5 minutes after the waitress took the bill, when the manager appeared and asked us to leave so she could seat a large party. We would have gladly moved to another booth or table...or..she could have moved us with a complimentary dessert or coffee refill, but her words were rude and uncalled for to ask a customer to get up and leave as soon as we got the bill and paid it. I am not one that lingers in a restaurant when patrons are waiting, but the "bum's rush," subpar food, and limited selection of old favorites has me saying "sayonara" to this place.This used to be my favorite...no more, sorry
Old 02-08-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferling View Post
Two times in one week, I have gone for lunch. They cut a lot of things off the menu, including some good wraps,like the Thai chicken wrap, did away with the spinach salad with the toasted walnuts and chicken..etc. Today, my dining companion ordered a hamburger, one of their best sandwiches, and got what looked like a small sausage patty on a big bun. We got the pizza(no more choice of individual toppings) and my friends got salads. We sat in a table assigned, and were seated at 11:40. At 12:15, we were given our bills, and we paid them, and sat back a few minutes more to finish our drinks. We had not been in our seats for 5 minutes after the waitress took the bill, when the manager appeared and asked us to leave so she could seat a large party. We would have gladly moved to another booth or table...or..she could have moved us with a complimentary dessert or coffee refill, but her words were rude and uncalled for to ask a customer to get up and leave as soon as we got the bill and paid it. I am not one that lingers in a restaurant when patrons are waiting, but the "bum's rush," subpar food, and limited selection of old favorites has me saying "sayonara" to this place.This used to be my favorite...no more, sorry
Their poor treatment and seating procedures have caused my large golf group to boycott the CG Restaurant for over a year now. We go downtown for lunch each time we play cane Garden.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:17 AM
Gold member

Can understand why you'd be upset with such treatment. Do have to say we ate there on a Friday night a couple of weeks ago - had a large party of 12. The group did have to split up but all the meals were good; hubby loved the fish sandwich and we'll go back to try it again.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
Can understand why you'd be upset with such treatment. Do have to say we ate there on a Friday night a couple of weeks ago - had a large party of 12. The group did have to split up but all the meals were good; hubby loved the fish sandwich and we'll go back to try it again.
Cane Garden does a much better job of handling things in the evening. It must be daunting to have large groups at lunch time. We have experienced waits with golf groups at lunch time too, but the food is always good and the servers do the best they can.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:27 AM
Gold member
Default Poor service / attitude

My ladies golf group received very similar treatment when we went for lunch. Despite other tables being open, we were seated adjacent to the kitchen door. I was not the leader of the group because I would have requested one of the other open tables away from the kitchen door. The entire luncheon was permeated with a "take it, or leave it" attitude. Last summer, the same ladies golf group took our business elsewhere as the service, attitude and presentation of food left too much to be desired. Sad, because we had always enjoyed Cane G as its attractive and in such a great location. Sigh
Old 02-08-2012, 07:45 AM
Sage

Not sure about the "poor" experiences listed here at CG. We went with friends a couple of weeks ago for a burger for supper and were VERY satisfied! Large burgers and plate of fries were very good as was the service.

Perhaps at noon the groups have tended to linger long to chat for long periods and that makes for the back-ups. When a place is very busy and people don't eat and leave it's hard to keep things moving. JMHO on what I'm not really sure is happening.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:00 AM
Veteran member

Our golf group has experienced same during "the season" when crowded, however "off season" when less crowded there have been no issues mid-day/early afternoon with seating, etc. We like the course and restaurant. jmho....
Old 02-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I used to go to Cane Garden a lot to eat a quick bite between jobs. Loved their burgers and they didn't mind a single -- usually got a booth close to the front. The last two times were enough to convince me that I need to find another "drop-in" spot. Burger was smaller, service was so-so, manager came up and told me I needed to eat faster (!!!) since the restaurant was getting full. Never again for me.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-08-2012, 09:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
..... manager came up and told me I needed to eat faster (!!!) since the restaurant was getting full. Never again for me.
What hospital is the manager in?

Bill
Old 02-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Gold member

Quote:
I used to go to Cane Garden a lot to eat a quick bite between jobs. Loved their burgers and they didn't mind a single -- usually got a booth close to the front. The last two times were enough to convince me that I need to find another "drop-in" spot. Burger was smaller, service was so-so, manager came up and told me I needed to eat faster (!!!) since the restaurant was getting full. Never again for me.
No way!! A manager tells you to eat faster???? This is absurd!!!

I don't know what I would have said.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Well, she did say please. rofl Actually, I was so shocked I didn't say a word but I will admit it took me twice as long to eat as usual (was reading a good book on my Kindle). Sometimes I can be so passive-aggressive.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Well, she did say please. rofl Actually, I was so shocked I didn't say a word but I will admit it took me twice as long to eat as usual (was reading a good book on my Kindle). Sometimes I can be so passive-aggressive.
Did you report this to the manager's manager
Skip 2
Old 02-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
What hospital is the manager in?

Bill
If the manager said this to a friend of mine.

He would have asked him if his hospital insurance was paid up.

Asked to eat faster. HOW RUDE!!!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-10-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
If the manager had said that to me I wouild have just sat there just to spite him. That is the lowest in treating customers that I have ever heard. I ate there in January and had no problems at all in fact I had to ask for my bill.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Veteran member

Tell the manager that you will leave now if he/she will pick up the tab.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.