Celiac friendly?

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2015, 01:51 AM
Default Celiac friendly?

We are planning a visit this summer, I am celiac and was wondering if there were any restaurants with gluten free options .
Old 03-29-2015, 05:38 AM
Default coeliac friendly

I've been visiting TV for a couple of years and found that it is moving slowly forward in the gluten free options, but there is still work to be done! Top of my list are El Ranchito I was never a fan of Mexican food until I went there - they are so accommodating and will cook just about anything you want. They also made me a separate side plate of Mexcian breads, tortillas etc by using cornflour instead of wheat flour and invited me into the kitchen to see that they were using separate utensils! Thai Ruby is very good also, very knowledgeable about coeliac disease. City fire have GF options, and for a dessert treat, pop into Peachwaves - their frozen yoghurt is clearly marked with the GF signs - there are very few that are forbidden.
Most of the restaurants will offer a gluten free menu, but you will find that this is identical to the usual menu, minus anything with gluten. ie cheeseburger in a bun with chips. GF option is burger without the bun, and they tell you that they fry the chips in the same fryer as all the other items. Most of the country club restauarants have a wide enough choice for you to select a decent meal that is GF.
Watch out for some of the fast food places that are somewhat 'cavalier' in their attitude. Our worst experience was in Cody's: I ordered just the burger with salad, my vegetarian friend ordered potato wedges with cheese. My burger came in a bun, with onion rings on the side, her wedges came with bacon. When we called the server over, he dismissed our concerns as simply being our 'lifestyle choices' and suggested we scraped off the offending items!
Having said that, our bad experiences are few and far between, and the majority of places are helpful. You won't starve!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.