Changes at Naples Italian in Leesburg

Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Send a message via MSN to VillageMaidService
Default Changes at Naples Italian in Leesburg

Hi all

I'm interested in learning what people are thinking about the new ownership and recent changes that have occurred at Naples Italian Restaurant in Leesburg. I work there part time (and have for almost 3 years) and since Mark sold the business in May to a new owner...we have had a serious decrease in business that I feel is not just due to the shrinking economy. I am interested in hearing from the public on what things have changed that have upset our customers, and what we (the staff) at Naples can try to do to help get our business back on track.
I'd like to take your comments straight to the owner and let him know what he can do to fix things for everyone. Many of the staff at Naples really do care about our customers and would like to continue working at a successful and popular restaurant! We have always taken pride in making the customers happy, and the recent changes have made many customers very unhappy and many have told me they would not return. Definitely a sad situation!

Have a great day everyone....I'm sure many of you out there know me personally...so if you see me at Naples, please find a few minutes to chat!

Thanks a million......Dee

Oh, BTW, Melissa and I have started a maid service here in the villages...so if you have time, check out our banner ad we've placed on TOTV (it should be up and running soon. Or the thread I've started in the business area. We also have a website to visit and/or you can email me personally.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:08 PM

My husband and I first tried Naples when we visited this area in 2005. Since actually moving here in 2007 we have dined at Naples at least 8 - 10 times. Just last week we took our company there for dinner and it was delicious as always. I never knew there was a change in ownership. To me everything seemed the same. It is a our favorite local Italian restaurant.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:15 PM
Dancing Thyme

Went there a few weeks ago for the first time,,
thought it was delicious,
promised DickY that we'll go soon
but didn't notice anything bad about service or food.
Dee, I'll look for you during my next visit
hopefully this weekend IF
I can ever stop DickY from dancing!!!

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 10-24-2008, 06:17 PM
Sage
Arrow It's Great!

Funny you should ask. We went there last night and the food and service was great! Also, people waiting outside to get in, so I didn't see business down at all. Went with my husband and another couple and all of us were delighted.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:10 PM

Dee,
Naples is one our favorite places. We have never noticed anything different. The food & service is wonderful.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Default Glad to Hear It!! Thanks Everyone

I just want to say thanks for the replies so far....as for there being a line out the door the other night, I imagine you all came to dinner this past Thursday evening...lol! That so far has been the single busiest night we have had at Naples since maybe last March...no kidding! I think I may have posted this thread Thursday afternoon in fact, and trust me when I tell you that none of us were ready for the swarm of people that lined the sidewalks Thursday evening....business really has been "Awful" for the past 6 mos.

I'm glad to hear several replies of great food and service...myself and all the other servers here at Naples really take pride in our restaurant and work our buns off to make sure you have a great dinner and positive experience. Please know that sometimes it isn't possible to get food out of the kitchen as fast as we'd like it....if you saw the size of the kitchen in back you'd seriously wonder how the cooks have even learned to manage at all, the cooka are the ones who are many times the magicians here at Naples. They can cook at a dazzling speed...sometimes too fast if any of you have ever had your dinner arrive piping hot before you've eaten half your appetizer's or your salad!! please remember to compliment the kitchen if you've had a particularly good meal...they really do take their jobs seriously and love positive feedback!

Here are a few of the problems that have caused some of the "customer issues" since the change of hands....just so you all know what I'm speaking about.....

1) and this appears to be the one that is under most contention...we no longer give out unlimited bread to our tables. Yes i know we always did before, and trust me, my new boss really isn't trying to nickle and dime those who have supported our restaurant for years and years...here's the scoop...over the past year, a sack of flourrose from a measley $9.00 and change, to over $30.00 a bag. That's extreme in the food industry. the second part of the problem was that we really were taking alot of bread out to tables that ended up getting wasted and thrown back in the garbage..etc...No it's not anyone's fault, but many times our customers order additional bread that they realize they just can't eat by the time it comes back out to the table...LOL You all know how big our portions are right??
well some customers have really taken this personally, the charge for additional bread. Everyone still gets a free breadstick (and yes they are delicious!!) but extra's are adding a small bit to the check.

We aren't a huge corporate chain that can acquire food at bulk savings, and many chain restaraunts have a major corporation backing them to absorb the costs during slow times...or when the economy sucks...like now!! So please don't judge my boss for trying to make enough to keep the restaraunt open "and" successful!

2) other upcharges - we have also added a few other small upcharges for things like extra dressing, extra sauce, extra cheese, etc... some people have been upset because they feel they are getting nickle & dimed for the extra niceties that are usually included at no charge at extra restaurants. I can completely commiserate with the customers and I know it may seem like we're trying to charge extra for everything, but what my boss has tried to do was "instead" of increasing ALL the prices for the meals to include the extra costs, he's only passing off the costs to the customers who wish the extra items. This way your meal won't cost you more so that you can pay for another table who's ordering extra sauce & cheese to their plates for free. Obviously, if your spaghetti looks a bit dry...we will take it back to the kitchen and have them add extra without the charge. The other night someone asked me for extra sauce and I charged them to bring it to their table. I failed to ask them (or even to look...we were busy Thursday evening.....lol) the reason they needed the extra sauce. Their side of eggplant really was too dry, and I should have scooped the dish up and taken it back to the kitchen to have them solve the issue. This was my fault, and they payed the charge. I explained that I shouldn't have charged them and I promised them that I would bring them extra sauce next time to compensate....

One of the things that I would also like to mention is that my boss really has since taking over Naples spent a considerable amount of money re-vamping the kitchen and other areas of the restaurant. He unfortunately bought the restaurant in May right as the economy began to turn real sour, and of course our wonderful SnowBird customers had flown the coop so to speak. He has done his best to keep the food as high of a quality as you all remember it, although some things, like the price of veal for instance, has sky-rocketed and our veal parm dinner is quite a bit higher than most of you might remember. Even at the new higher price he tells me he really isn't making money off the dish, but veal parm is a favorite and he doesn't want to price it so high that no one can afford it at all. Also, we STILL have REAL butter....which is VERY expensive, and he has resisted the urge to switch to a cheap butter imitation spread, which many other restaurants of our caliber give to their customers.

One of the things that our new boss has also done for the staff as well as the customers was to spend (I think over $30,000) on new A/C units to keep the restaurant cool. Anyone who can remember how sickenly hot it could get while they ate dinner here will appreciate the new units! I know the staff worships the ground he walks on for doing this for us! Our old owner, bless his heart, spent a fortune fixing the old ones but couldn't bring himself to shell out the cash to keep us all comfortable.

Wow... this has really turned into a bible epic here...lol, but I really wanted to explian some of the changes we've made so that 1) our returning snowbird customers won't be negatively surprised, and 2) so that any customers reading this that may have been upset may decide to give us another chance to keep you happy....Naples has always been one of Leesburg's best kept secret's! I've always been amazed at how busy we can get throughout season, and how much customers love our food and service so much that they'll literally wait outside for hours...yes... hours, to eat with us! I've even seen customers who've brought their own chairs and small tables to the sidewalk here during season...play cards and have a few drinks while they are waiting for a table. I think last year some one had something similar to a tailgating party in the parking lot while they waited!

So you see...it would be sad if our little place closed down because of the economy (as I'm sure you all have noticed many places have closed) or because of higher prices or upcharges, which although they may feel unfair, really aren't designed to be. No one likes change...even us at Naples, but I hope to see lots of familiar faces again this year, and you know many of us who have been here for YEARS will do our utmost to insure you have a good experience again in the future.

Bye for now, and remember to say hello when you visit...I look forward to it!

Dee
Old 10-26-2008, 01:51 PM

Thanks Chelsea, I assume you were here on Thursday evening then...we WERE super busy that night and it was the first Really busy night we have had since maybe March?? seems ages ago sometimes. But I'm hoping that we haven't lost our regular customer base there in the Villages, you guys really do keep us going strong year after year!! Hope to see you back soon...
Thanks and remember to say Hi
Dee
Old 10-26-2008, 01:52 PM

Hi Kathie

Now why is it that DickY keeps dancing??? LOL You'll have to give me the whole story when you come for dinner...see ya soon! And I'm happy you loved the food!
Dee
Old 10-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Default That's Great!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNPA View Post
My husband and I first tried Naples when we visited this area in 2005. Since actually moving here in 2007 we have dined at Naples at least 8 - 10 times. Just last week we took our company there for dinner and it was delicious as always. I never knew there was a change in ownership. To me everything seemed the same. It is a our favorite local Italian restaurant.
I'm glad to hear this, and I'm pleased to let the rest of the staff know about the positive comments I've received here on TOTV. It really has affected our moarle as of late...having some customers become angry, or tell us they won't come eat with us again. People may not realize that since we are a such a small restaurant, we all kind of take things like that personally. We work together in such a small space (if any of you have ever taken a look at our waitress station you'll know what I mean!) that most of us here have become a close kknit little family of sorts, and if someone's table is not happy for any reason, we all want to know what's wrong, and we try to help each other out. Many times, you might notice that you have 3-4 different people that end up bringing food or other items to your table...that's because we all put the customer first and if food's up and we know where it's supposed to go..we take it there if we have the time! It really is a group effort here!

Thanks for taking the time to respond...I really do appreciate it! See you back soon I hope...and remember to say hello!

Dee
Old 11-03-2008, 12:27 AM

My friend and I went there abot 2 months ago. The waitress that day was semi blonde with a ponytail and a big mouth came up to our booth. We said we were ready to order, and ordered spaghetti and a soda. The waitress RUDELY informed us that a party of 8 came in before us, and she was taking their drink order before ours, and we would just have to wait. In the time that she stood there being a JERK, she could have just written it down and turned it in to the kitchen.If they were ahead of us, WHY was she at our table? She was the worst, most rude waitress we have ever encountered. We went there one more time, and I told the young man seating us to put us anywhere but where she WAS. Not good, and they still emply the likes of her.We really don't have a good feeling about the place now. What happened to the nice English couple that owned it?
Old 11-03-2008, 06:26 AM
Veteran member

Dee,
Every time we are down there, we intend on trying Naples, since we have heard so much good about it. This thread has prompted me to make it a priority when we return in May.

Frank D.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:35 PM

HI Golfering

I'm fairly certain I know the waitress you're speaking of, but maybe I should keep my mouth shut on this issue! The only thing I can ever say to customers if they get bad service from a server is this...please tell the manager on duty...because if no one complains, then how does anyone know about the poor treatment?? This is how poor waiters and waitresses keep their jobs...low percentage of actual complaints. Make sure you say something because if the complaints pile up then management has no choice but to deal with the server and have them fix their issues, or plain and simply give them the axe!!
But please say something if someone is giving you less than great service...
Ask for me when you come next time....I'll take care of your party

Dee or Deidre
Oh BTW...my work schedule is as follows
Thursday evening from 3-close
Friday from 3-9
and ALL day Saturday 11am to 8pm
The rest of the week I'm either studying, or cleaning houses!
See you all soon

Last edited by VillageMaidService; 11-09-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Default You don't return until may??

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulfrank View Post
Dee,
Every time we are down there, we intend on trying Naples, since we have heard so much good about it. This thread has prompted me to make it a priority when we return in May.

Frank D.
Ouch!! That's quite a long time away...but remember to say hello when you arrive!

Thanks
Dee
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.