Charging for Water?

Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2016, 05:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Charging for Water?

I am curious as to what everybody thinks about Dunkin Donuts new policy of charging $.25 for a cup of water.

Will this hurt business?

Will this force customers to go ahead and buy a drink other than water?

What do y'all think?
Old 01-29-2016, 05:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
I am curious as to what everybody thinks about Dunkin Donuts new policy of charging $.25 for a cup of water.

Will this hurt business?

What do y'all think?
I heard it's 50 cents if you want water imported from Flint, Michigan
Old 01-29-2016, 06:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

Who buys a donut and asks for water? Coffee or milk yes, but water??? No, I think the charge for water will not have an impact.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

The Flint situation is not funny.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post

Will this hurt business?

What do y'all think?
My wife and I drink water with lemon when we have dinner at casual restaurants BUT always get a coffee at Dunkin Donuts. I have been in the fast food business for over 32 years and when our company made the decision to start charging for water it was .10 cents, The .10 cents was to cover the cost of the disposable cup with lid and straw. It had NO impact when we made the change. We feel .25 cents for a cup of water is reasonable since businesses should not have to take a loss (cup, lid and straw) to give guests FREE water and I would imagine they are trying to "curb" the water usage hoping if people have to pay .25 they may just get a drink. People tend not to realize that cups, lids and straws all cost take out restaurants money and we feel businesses should pass on the cost to the consumer.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:37 PM
Sage

Do you get free refills?
Old 01-29-2016, 09:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgg7933 View Post
My wife and I drink water with lemon when we have dinner at casual restaurants BUT always get a coffee at Dunkin Donuts. I have been in the fast food business for over 32 years and when our company made the decision to start charging for water it was .10 cents, The .10 cents was to cover the cost of the disposable cup with lid and straw. It had NO impact when we made the change. We feel .25 cents for a cup of water is reasonable since businesses should not have to take a loss (cup, lid and straw) to give guests FREE water and I would imagine they are trying to "curb" the water usage hoping if people have to pay .25 they may just get a drink. People tend not to realize that cups, lids and straws all cost take out restaurants money and we feel businesses should pass on the cost to the consumer.
Well said!
Old 01-30-2016, 01:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
The Flint situation is not funny.
You're right, I apologize for a little dark humor. I don't find lead poisoning amusing, having treated a few cases, but rather the political sideshow that has developed around this story.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgg7933 View Post
We used to charge for the cups too when people asked for them when I worked at some food service providers in the Reno, Nevada area for about 6 years. They usually wanted these for ice.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

I may be wrong It happen once before
Isn't it illegal for a business to charge for tap water unless it's bottled ?
Old 01-30-2016, 08:37 AM
Platinum member

Wonder if they are targeting a specific type of customer coming in and asking for water with no other purchase?
Old 01-30-2016, 09:41 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts
Default When TV life gives you lemons..........

Does anybody else ever wonder why lemons are free in a restaurant?

Remember when water was water?

When did that water with lemon thing start?

Does anybody else ever wonder who has to wash all those lemons?

And what about the cringeworthy Villages Cocktail where somebody orders water with lemon (or not) and then pulls out their own little packet of Crystal Light or whatever to mix in. -- What next? Order a Coke and pull out an airline bottle of rum? (Do they still have those?)

Then there are those who order water with "extra" or "lots of" lemon. Also cringeworthy.

Oh well.............

Boomer, who orders water without lemon AND one of the following: unsweet iced tea or coffee with cream or the house red or Goose and tonic........I have got to stop looking at TOTV first thing in the morning and finding a thread that causes me to overthink something and then posting about it...........But! Hey!......I just realized I forgot to restart The Sun. Now, I can have that with my morning coffee. YAY!

Last edited by Boomer; 01-30-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,143 Times in 829 Posts

Have a friend who has recently taken to ordering hot water with lemon which comes just like hot tea minus the tea bag. And the restaurants charge her nothing. Hope that doesn't catch on. Charging for water is perfectly reasonable. Most of the $2.59 you pay for a glass of Coke is not for the cost of the Coke which is certainly less than a quarter in product. So, for a glass of water, the same as Coke minus the cost of the Coke would seem reasonable, right?
Old 01-30-2016, 12:40 PM
Sage

That's because we're Jack Nicholson's age and we remember........

Rebel without whole wheat toast.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Who buys a donut and asks for water? Coffee or milk yes, but water??? No, I think the charge for water will not have an impact.
I like choc milk with my donuts!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
ahead, buy, charging, customers, drink, force, water, yall

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.