China Gourmet at Colony Plaza

Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2007, 12:18 AM
Platinum member
Default China Gourmet at Colony Plaza

China Gourmet is a fairly new Chinese Restaurant in Colony Plaza. We've been enjoying lunch there occasionally. The food is good and lunch is $4.72. The restaurant is small. There are about 8 tables. Owners are very friendly.
Tampa, FL
Old 12-22-2007, 03:27 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: China Gourmet at Colony Plaza

We ordered pick up from there for dinner tonight,tasty.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:55 AM

Thanks for the tip! Since we're moving to Hadley, it should be handy! :bigthumbsup:
Old 12-22-2007, 07:00 PM
Banned

Have tried it several times, yet keep forgetting the size (large!) of the portions in the combo plate. Good food at a good price. I wish them success!
Old 12-22-2007, 10:54 PM

I've been to China Gourmet a few times and it seems like a very clean place with really good food. Today I tried Siam Orchid for Thai and it was fantastic. I will be heaven when the new sushi restaurant opens!
Old 07-24-2009, 03:44 AM
Default China Gourmet

I believe this restaurant must have changed management, since my experience there yesterday was so negative. We (my granddaughter and I) ordered Cashew Chicken, and Sesame Chicken. Myi Cashew Chicken was the worst I've ever had. Meat was small, fatty and grey looking. I wound up throwing it in the trash can. My granddaughter's Sesame Chicken was enhanced with a long hair over the top and when I cut into it, it was not done. The meat (also small and fatty) was reddish and raw looking. I took it back to the counter (without mentioning the hair, which at this point was the least of the problems with the dish), at which time the counter person took it to the cooks who stood over it clucking and looking at it. She then came to me and said "it is fine, but we will re-cook it." When it came out, it was cooked, but the first piece I cut into had a hair WRAPPED around it. That was the last straw. I took it back and showed it to her, told her we were leaving and wouldn't be back. She then began to argue that it was MY hair, wrapped around her cooked Sesame Chicken. It wasn't my length, or color. I told her I wasn't going to argue, that I would not be back, and that it was the worst Chinese food I'd ever eaten. There were no apologies, only defensive remarks. I will not be back. And I will be calling the health department.
We've eaten at several restaurants in the Villages several times. This is the first problem we've had. As I said, I believe the management must have changed since several of the positive posts are from 2 years ago.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarandipity View Post
I believe this restaurant must have changed management, since my experience there yesterday was so negative. We (my granddaughter and I) ordered Cashew Chicken, and Sesame Chicken. Myi Cashew Chicken was the worst I've ever had. Meat was small, fatty and grey looking. I wound up throwing it in the trash can. My granddaughter's Sesame Chicken was enhanced with a long hair over the top and when I cut into it, it was not done. The meat (also small and fatty) was reddish and raw looking. I took it back to the counter (without mentioning the hair, which at this point was the least of the problems with the dish), at which time the counter person took it to the cooks who stood over it clucking and looking at it. She then came to me and said "it is fine, but we will re-cook it." When it came out, it was cooked, but the first piece I cut into had a hair WRAPPED around it. That was the last straw. I took it back and showed it to her, told her we were leaving and wouldn't be back. She then began to argue that it was MY hair, wrapped around her cooked Sesame Chicken. It wasn't my length, or color. I told her I wasn't going to argue, that I would not be back, and that it was the worst Chinese food I'd ever eaten. There were no apologies, only defensive remarks. I will not be back. And I will be calling the health department.
We've eaten at several restaurants in the Villages several times. This is the first problem we've had. As I said, I believe the management must have changed since several of the positive posts are from 2 years ago.
We tried it a year ago and vowed never to return. It was just plain nasty..
Old 07-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Sage

We had takeout from there less than two weeks ago.... food looked and tasted as it had on prior visits. Hopefully, your recent experience was an anomaly.

The name may say "gourment" but it is a basic chinese carryout...we get one $7 combo meal between us and have dinner for two. Quick, tasty, inexpensive...but, not gourmet.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Gold member

We have ordered take out many times and never had a bad experience - I agree with villages07 and hope your meals were just isolated cases and not the new norm.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:32 PM

I wasn't going to write a review since I had only been there once, but saw this come up. We ate there inside - lots of food for the price but not particularly good. We could have shared one entree. The worst egg roll I think I have ever had - saw someone else throw theirs away. The people working in there were very friendly and came to see if we needed anything else several times. In comparison to the Thai restaurnt in Sumter Landing (well there is no comparison - Thai wins hands down.)
Old 07-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Default Last time not good

I really loved that place and looked forward to it upon every return to The Villages. The last time ( I always get General Tso's Chicken) I got it, it was not good. Will try one more time but after that goodbye.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:39 PM
Veteran member
Default China Gourmet

Why do you post letters from two years ago under new posts?
Old 07-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Default New Owners ?

This has been my favorite chinese restaurant in the villages for the last two years, but I aso have been asking if there may be new owners. The fried rice is totally different than it was two months ago and preparation of all food in general has changed. Ordered takeout last week and gave a coupon for 50% off. Due to my stupidity I did not check until I got home to see if they credited me with the discount. They hadn't! I called on the phone and was told that the coupon had expired," there was no date on it". Again this week the same coupon is in the Sun. It seems that someone goofed and they did not want to correct it. I will still order food from them, but do feel that the quality of it has gotten poorer.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.