Chinese Take Out (again)

Closed Thread
Old 11-21-2018, 08:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,009 Times in 451 Posts
Default Chinese Take Out (again)

Admittedly, I probably eat Chinese take-out only about twice a month, but I do enjoy good take-out when I can find it. My definition of "good" has nothing to do with "authentic." It has to do with what I was used to eating in my youth from NYC-area take-out places. So far, I have found a few places that I'd rate as acceptable to good. I eat Koyame, Bamboo Bistro, Shanghai up in Mulberry Plaza and China Wok in Traverse Plaza. I also eat China Gourmet III in Colony Plaza, in a pinch.

I remember someone here on TOTV mentioning China Gourmet VI in Lake Deaton Plaza, next to Rohan Rec Center. They said it was really good.

Recently, I stopped at China Gourmet VI on the way home from Leesburg and picked up some take-out. It was good. I usually don't recommend someplace with only one visit, but it was good.

I ordered egg rolls, wonton soup, chicken with cashews, pork lo mein and pork Hunan. All the ingredients were fresh. The food was very tasty. Good egg rolls. The people were very friendly. And... this is big... I asked for extra-spicy on the pork Hunan. I asked the young lady at the counter to ask the chef to "please try to hurt me." This is the first time in my 6 years here that I got some heat in my take-out. I love it.

I know that Lake Deaton Plaza is about 18 minutes from where I live, but I am willing to make the trek. I think China Gourmet VI at Lake Deaton Plaza is my new favorite.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:19 PM
Sage
Default Thanks

Thank you. Since we live close to Colony Plaza, the Chinese place there is our go to. I, personally don’t think it’s very good. I’ve been hoping someone would find something better and it sounds like you did. Will try there next time we order takeout. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:01 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,310 Times in 381 Posts

Heard China Jade in the old winn dixie shopping center on 44 and 301 is very good. Havent tried it yet
Old 11-23-2018, 09:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Heard China Jade in the old winn dixie shopping center on 44 and 301 is very good. Havent tried it yet
I've tried it.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:13 PM
Platinum member

Nice to know.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:45 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
Admittedly, I probably eat Chinese take-out only about twice a month, but I do enjoy good take-out when I can find it. My definition of "good" has nothing to do with "authentic." It has to do with what I was used to eating in my youth from NYC-area take-out places. So far, I have found a few places that I'd rate as acceptable to good. I eat Koyame, Bamboo Bistro, Shanghai up in Mulberry Plaza and China Wok in Traverse Plaza. I also eat China Gourmet III in Colony Plaza, in a pinch.

I remember someone here on TOTV mentioning China Gourmet VI in Lake Deaton Plaza, next to Rohan Rec Center. They said it was really good.

Recently, I stopped at China Gourmet VI on the way home from Leesburg and picked up some take-out. It was good. I usually don't recommend someplace with only one visit, but it was good.

I ordered egg rolls, wonton soup, chicken with cashews, pork lo mein and pork Hunan. All the ingredients were fresh. The food was very tasty. Good egg rolls. The people were very friendly. And... this is big... I asked for extra-spicy on the pork Hunan. I asked the young lady at the counter to ask the chef to "please try to hurt me." This is the first time in my 6 years here that I got some heat in my take-out. I love it.

I know that Lake Deaton Plaza is about 18 minutes from where I live, but I am willing to make the trek. I think China Gourmet VI at Lake Deaton Plaza is my new favorite.
After reading your review, last night I decided to give China Gourmet VI a try. I did a simple take out of Pork Fried Rice, Chicken Fingers, and Chicken Chow Mein. I agree with you that the food is good. I don't care for the Chinese take-outs at any of the other Plaza's I've tried but now that I've tried China Gourmet VI, I've found a good Chinese take-out. Lets hope they keep they're quality at this good level.
Thanks for the recommendation Ecuadog.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
... Lets hope they keep they're quality at this good level. Thanks for the recommendation Ecuadog.
I hope so too. You're welcome.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

No prices, but here's the menu: China Gourmet, The Villages, FL == [Main Menu]
Old 11-25-2018, 03:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

Is China Gourmet 4 and different from China Gourmet 3? Aren't they owned by the same owner?
Old 11-26-2018, 09:16 AM
Gold member
Default Spicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post

Like you, I love spicy Asian food. At my first visit to Bamboo Bistro (my favorite TV Asian food restaurant), I also told the waitress to tell the chef to make it hurt, and the owner came to the table to ask me about my request. After assuring herself of my spicy food bona fides, she told me that she and I shared the same level of spice, and recommended that in the future I request "spicy number four". I've used that in my order requests in many Asian food restaurants, and it has worked very well every time.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:33 AM

I hate to repeat myself, but Chengs. Chengs. Chengs. The only good Chinese food in TV. That's Chengs. I repeat Chengs.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Dum View Post
I hate to repeat myself, but Chengs. Chengs. Chengs. The only good Chinese food in TV. That's Chengs. I repeat Chengs.
Been there. Done that.
Closed Thread

Tags
good, plaza, china, take-out, gourmet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.