Country Club Restaurants

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2022, 09:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Ray's pizza, 3rd Ave and 78th St., everything else is second best.
According to Santa (in the movie "Elf"), the real one's on 11th...

"There are, like, 30 Ray's Pizzas. They all claim to be the original, but the real one's on 11th."

-Tom Petty
Old 11-26-2022, 09:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Most of my friends (seasonal) have invested over $50,000 in Initiation Dues & pay between $8,000 - $12,000 per year for membership, even though they're in Naples less than 6 months/year. They use the club for nothing but golf.

That is a completely different socio economic strata than The Villages. The Villages started out as not much more than a mobile home park, and Naples did not start out that way. The villages is in rural FL, Naples is coastal FL, which is more expensive and way older and more developed than 30 year old TV. . .

The comparison is orapples, oranges and apples. Something tells me you are in the wrong place, or have unrealistic expectations trying to keep up with your other friends. . .

just my intuitive interpretation of the words I am reading.
Old 11-26-2022, 09:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
All of Florida could be a disappointment. The food is not as good as other states.
"All"?

There are PLENTY of great restaurants in South Florida, from Palm Beach, down to Miami...

Naples has some great places as well...

-Tom Petty
Old 11-26-2022, 09:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
That is a completely different socio economic strata than The Villages. The Villages started out as not much more than a mobile home park, and Naples did not start out that way. The villages is in rural FL, Naples is coastal FL, which is more expensive and way older and more developed than 30 year old TV. . .

The comparison is orapples, oranges and apples. Something tells me you are in the wrong place, or have unrealistic expectations trying to keep up with your other friends. . .

just my intuitive interpretation of the words I am reading.
Old 11-26-2022, 10:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
All of Florida could be a disappointment. The food is not as good as other states.
The taqueria where I get my carne asada tacos every few weeks is just as good as the one back up north.

The Indian restaurant in Mt. Dora that I like, is just as good as the one back north (though they don't give me a gulab jamun with my lunch at no extra charge, I have to order it and pay extra).

The knishes at the Jewish deli where my parents live are just as good as the M&T used to sell up north.

I've never eaten in the Tampa area but I'm told there's pizza there just as good as New Haven pizza. I doubt it, but I'll keep an open mind and give it a try next time I'm in Tampa.
Old 11-27-2022, 02:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Which other states????? Personally, I'm not a big fan of North Dakota cuisine1rotfl:
My home state of Massachusetts is real good as is Maine and New Hampshire.
Old 11-27-2022, 02:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
"Steak Tips" have always been a New England only product. Over the last few years they've spread a bit on the East Coast, but most of the country never heard of them and wouldn't be able to find them at a store or butcher.
This is a crying shame. Steak tips are the best.
Old 11-27-2022, 02:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
"All"?

There are PLENTY of great restaurants in South Florida, from Palm Beach, down to Miami...

Naples has some great places as well...
Granted I have not eaten in every restaurant in Florida but what I have had over the years cannot compete. That said I do remember the best bacon cheddar burger and fries I had one night about midnight after not eating since breakfast at the Biltmore Coral Gables FL.
Old 11-27-2022, 02:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The taqueria where I get my carne asada tacos every few weeks is just as good as the one back up north.

The Indian restaurant in Mt. Dora that I like, is just as good as the one back north (though they don't give me a gulab jamun with my lunch at no extra charge, I have to order it and pay extra).

The knishes at the Jewish deli where my parents live are just as good as the M&T used to sell up north.

I've never eaten in the Tampa area but I'm told there's pizza there just as good as New Haven pizza. I doubt it, but I'll keep an open mind and give it a try next time I'm in Tampa.
Some issues or non issues is that we all eat differently and eat different things. I don’t like tacos, have never eaten in an Indian restaurant and basically would not a know a knish if I tripped on one. Pizza is hit or miss but for the most part I can get through any pizza once. The one pizza I don’t like is Bravo Pizza. Anyway, happy eating.
Old 11-27-2022, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Some issues or non issues is that we all eat differently and eat different things. I don’t like tacos, have never eaten in an Indian restaurant and basically would not a know a knish if I tripped on one. Pizza is hit or miss but for the most part I can get through any pizza once. The one pizza I don’t like is Bravo Pizza. Anyway, happy eating.
Giovanni's at Southern Trace next to Publix used to be good but they sold and the new owners changed the recipe. Not impressed anymore. The good news, is they still own Gio's on 301, and they still make excellent apizza there. It's not AS thin as New York style, not AS bubble-crusted and misshapen as New Haven style (and doesn't have cornmeal on the bottom), and not AS perfectly cheesed as North End style. But it's sort of a mishmosh between the three and very tasty.
Old 11-27-2022, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
My home state of Massachusetts is real good as is Maine and New Hampshire.
Long Live Tribalism! Long Live Massholes! Viva La TitleTown!
Old 11-28-2022, 08:21 AM

Quote:
They're not interested in selling. That doesn't meet their business model nor serve their interests.

Just speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if they sold off the entire package of "Championship Courses", sometime in the future. It seems their business model has changed from being a "golf community/lifestyle developer" to a "tract housing developer" ...witness the Fenney area.
It appears you haven’t witnessed the lifestyle south of SR44. Perhaps you can buy some land outside TV and develop your own Exclusive Country Club and make a fortune! People disappointed in TV Country Clubs and their Restaurants would flock to it, right?
Old 11-28-2022, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Long Live Tribalism! Long Live Massholes! Viva La TitleTown!
on a separate note all you mass guys, today is the 80 th anniversary of the Cocoanut Grove fire , where almost 500 people died, including my fathers cousin
Old 11-29-2022, 09:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Sounds about right. I mentioned Howard Johnson's and I was a "cook" there, when I was in High School. "Chefs"? "Cooks"? We were "food warmers". I think Howard Johnson's was the first restaurant to put Microwave Ovens in use ... sure made our jobs in the kitchen, a lot easier.
I was a dishwasher at HOJO's as a teen on the Pennsylvania turnpike.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
No, they are quite different... A few are owned by the FMK group (the same people who own Blue Fin, Harvest, the Chop House and the new Costal del Mar). They own Belle Glade, Bonifay, and Evans Prarie. Palmer and Lopez are more "high end"..

Several of them are older (hence the decor) and could use a face lift...
bonifay is my favorite, the setting is lovely & food is just right. it takes a few extra minutes to get there, but we enjoy it
Closed Thread

Tags
country, club, food, mom, fairly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.